View Full Version : auxillary memory for BT enabled PPC?

jnunn
07-01-2003, 08:11 AM
I am searching for a BT device for memory (CF preferred) access. My disappointment with the h2215 (especially screen and speaker position) are making the h1945 more attractive. My interest is to find a BT device that accepts a CF card as memory: the CF card becomes a 'wireless drive' accessible by the BT enabled PPC. This would enable the h1945 or any BT PPC to effectively become dual slot for at least memory access.

Has anyone seen something along these lines?

Some of my thoughts:
(1) BT is ideal: keep the BT drive in the pocket while the PPC is in the hand. A BT device for CF memory access would require only a small battery.
(2) It seems that IBM would try to expand it's MicroDrive market by taking the MicroDrive out of the CF slot and making it a stand-alone BT device. Give it an on/off switch, short wireless range (perhaps 1m), or password for security.
(3) Infrared could suffice although it would be awkward.
(4) a downstream USB port on the PPC would lie between BT and IR in convenience.

Janak Parekh
07-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Hmm, I haven't heard of anything that is exactly what you're looking for, although you might want to check out our post on the Toshiba Hopbit (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5247), which is a BT-accessible hard drive.

--janak

jnunn
07-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks Janak,

Jason's observation of the 96KB/s BT bandwidth rather kills this idea over BT. I just wish that HP had not of bastardized the h2215 by giving it an entirely 'un-iPAQ-like' speaker position and a second rate screen. If HP had followed the Compaq team's lead of the primacy of aethestics for a handheld device then I could join in praising the h2215.

I do need a new PPC this year but I will not gladly make the purchase.

John

Janak Parekh
07-01-2003, 08:08 PM
If you prefer the 1945's form factor, why not buy SD memory? Granted, it's not as cheap, but it's certainly serviceable.

--janak

jnunn
07-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks again for the thought, Janik. The 2215 form factor is great; I just have a hard time with the device when I consider the screen and speaker. It just does not seem like an iPAQ: iPAQs have always had the best screens and sound.

I will need the functionality of the dual slots, however, so I must purchase the h2215 unless another vendor can match the 2215's speed, dual slots, and form factor while besting its screen and speaker.

Of course, I may just hold onto my 3600+SS2 for yet another year. I believe the PPC will need to increase the screen resolution for y2004 or capitulate the hardware contest to Palm. This is a strange summer: the iPAQ with the buzz is a slackard in screen and sound ... and the once lauded iPAQ screen cannot even begin to compare to Palm.