View Full Version : Proper procedure for the 2003 upgrade???

js415
06-30-2003, 10:35 PM
I ordered the upgrade from Dell, and expect it to arrive in a few weeks, so I have time to get my head straight on the proper upgrade path to take!!

I never upgraded the ROM from Dell, however, I have it ready to do. I'm thinking that it will not be neccessary to do this, since I am going to install the 2003 upgrade. Can anybody verify that this is correct??

Also, if I am not mistaken, I will need to install every app, game, etc. once I complete the upgrade??

What about contacts and PIM info? Is there a practicle way to save all this info? I do use Sprites Pocket backup utility, so maybe this would be the best way to save my contacts??

Anybody with any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jerry

PetiteFlower
06-30-2003, 10:37 PM
I could answer you if you were asking about an ordinary ROM upgrade but for an OS upgrade, I really don't know!

Bearjaw
07-01-2003, 12:49 AM
The 2003 upgrade will wipe the ROM clean so....Dont bother with the update. Hope that helps and saves yoiu some time. Jeff

js415
07-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Well, that is what I thought, and it makes sense.

What about personal info such as contacts, owners info, and the such??

Will a back-up of the PIM's reload after 2003 is installed??

Jerry

spursdude
07-01-2003, 02:06 AM
What about personal info such as contacts, owners info, and the such??
Those will all be wiped out. The best way to restore them would be just to sync with Outlook again, instead of doing a restore process which will be messy and create duplicates, if it even works.

My opinion is to not deal with backup/restore - just sync with Outlook and manually reinstall all the programs.

js415
07-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Believe it or not, I do not use Outlook for anything. I hardly ever even sync with my laptop.

I sort of use my Axim as a "free standing" unit!!

I guess I need to figure out how to save all my contacts, pretty quickly, huh???

Jerry

Bearjaw
07-01-2003, 02:22 AM
Well, I think the best thing might be to sync to Outlook just this once, do the OS upgrade and then sync once more. Thats really the only trouble free way I can see to do it. Hummmm...I'll think on this some more though...anyone else have some suggestions? Jeff

Sven Johannsen
07-01-2003, 03:15 AM
I think Bearjaw has it pegged. The easiest way to save the PIM stuff will be to sync with Outlook, upgrade, and sync with Outlook.

Think of the upgrade like running Win98, wiping the drive and installing WinMe. Not likely a backup you made under 98 would be appropriate to restore under Me. Unfrotunately I don't think there is anything like an Outlook backup (as a PST) that you could do on a PPC. Even the Backup programs assume you are going back on the same (or at least compatible unit.

P.S. if you go the Outlook route, be sure to click merge with your clean Outlook install. The other option is to overwrite the PPC with what is on the desktop. Probably tick you off if you did that.

volwrath
07-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Or...just back it up to the sd card and do a restore.

on another note..what problems will i run into if I decide to do that with my entire memory?

PetiteFlower
07-03-2003, 01:20 AM
As someone just said, restoring a backup of information that was created under a different OS would be a BAD idea. Even if it's just PIM. And restoring programs that were installed under a different OS would be an even WORSE idea. Sync, upgrade, re-sync.

KiLLiN-TiMe
07-03-2003, 05:15 AM
As someone just said, restoring a backup of information that was created under a different OS would be a BAD idea. Even if it's just PIM. And restoring programs that were installed under a different OS would be an even WORSE idea. Sync, upgrade, re-sync.

And Cross Your Fingers!!!

volwrath
07-03-2003, 04:31 PM

If it were just PIM data, it would probably be ok IMO. After all you can simply backup your .pst file when changing fom Outlook 200 to Outlook XP, restore and everything is dandy.

Nonetheless, I am going to attempt a full backup/restore and see what happens for the fun of it. Worst case scenario, I do a hard reset, and manually install apps.

Even if it does work it will probably come back to bite me :D