View Full Version : Another victim torn between E755 and 5555

mike6432
06-30-2003, 07:16 PM
I know there is a thread about this already, but I don't care, sorry to sound so rude. Anyways...I am utterly torn between the Toshiba e755 and the iPAQ5555. I'm wondering if some of you nice folks can help by giving me a push off this fence.

iPAQ PRO:
-I trust HP more with support, firmwire updates more particularly.
-I have an epansion sleeve already...but with the Toshiba I would not be using this anymore...same with my keyboard and all the etra(the key between the z and c do not work on this keyboard lol) 3955 accessories I bought. Thats also a con...I'd have to buy new stuff and sell my old stuff if I get the Toshiba.
-Like the style better.
-128 Megs of RAM...BUT I have that 1GIG CF card and 128 SD card.
-Comes with cover pack

TOSHIBA PROS:
-Biggest thing , I can use my 1GIG CF, 128 SD, and WiFi all at the same time without a thick sleeve.
-Its MUCH cheaper, especially with my employee discount.
-It's OUT already at work.
-It's sleeker in the respect of...no antenna sticking out the top.
-Chasis also like iPAQ seems sturdy...if not sturdier.

CON of iPAQ:
-More epensive
-Not out at work yet
-Need to use thick sleeve.(which i REALLY don't want to use)

CON of Toshiba:
-Comes with small slip case...I love my Cover pack for my iPAQ. BUT with me using all my memory...If i wanted to use epansion with ipaq...i can't have a sleeve on there...unless i dish out oney for the battery one which i dont' want to.
-Don't know if there is any case close to a cover pack...I HATE screen protectors...I'd probably have to bite the bullet and just leave it naked in my pocket. But that's okay..i have protection from what I buy at work...though...hassle of bringing it back. Sheesh...someone please help me thanks

don dre
06-30-2003, 07:29 PM
get the h2215 and then buy the SD Wifi card when it comes out.

mike6432
06-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Nono, I don't want the 2215 I don't liek the cheap feel to it. And I want to have my 128 SD, 1GIG CF in at same time WITH WiFi, so that SD WiFi would not work for me. And the bluetooth is somehthing inpractical.

jpjehu
06-30-2003, 07:57 PM
I think the e755 is the most complete pda for the money. IMO it has more than the ipaq for cheaper (I don't use bluetooth). the 2215 mentioned before is an option, but the screen is frustratingly smaller, the battery isn't enough, and you would have to use the sd slot for wifi. If you're more of a memory person (mp3s, movies), then there should be no contest - e755. If you're more of a wireless person (would use wifi AND bluetooth), then sell the 1 Gb cf card and put the money towards the ipaq. If you're in the middle, I think the e755 fits the bill better because of your 1 Gb cf card usage. Either way, don't let the decision come down to the cover pack - there are plenty of cases to suit both.

mike6432
06-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Yes its seeming that the e755 is the way to go...but I'm not sure yet. I REALLY REALLY want to be able to lie in bed...laying on my back deck...chatting online...with my 128 SD and 1GIG CF with me without the clunkiness of a big sleeve. I want to be able to throw my PDA in my pocket with all those things...without making a huge bulge in my pocket...the E755 is seeming to be my answer. How long is the battery compared to 5555 though? I know the older toshiba 740 i believe...had lots of problems with battery...even had a customer come in and complained of his overhearting.

Chris Pi
06-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Another thing to maybe consider. If you are planning on keeping the pda for more than a year will you be happy just using mobile 2003? You mentioned support in your post and alot of people who bought the e740 thought that they'd be able to update to 2003. Next year the "magneto" os is coming out which is supposed to be a big improvement and you have to wonder if Toshiba will offer an upgrade to the e755. That's one of the reasons I ordered the h5550. I know that no company may offer an upgrade but I can't afford a new pda every year so I took that into account. Also I read that hp is offering an upgrade for the 3800 too now so they try to cover at least a couple of generations.

Then again if you get the e755, with the money you save from not going with the 5555 you would have half the dough towards a new pda later on...

mike6432
06-30-2003, 08:35 PM
That is a good consideration BUT lol...where I work...I can just return my 3955...I payed 417...and I can just basically do an even swap for the e755 which would cost me $405. I'll lose $12 dollars...don't care. So when the new magneto or whatever you called it comes out...if I want to upgrade...and pay the difference...I can.

don dre
06-30-2003, 08:57 PM
WHAT ABOUT THE now cheaper 5450. I'd go HP after reading all of the support gripes about toshiba. I hope their e750 is a better device than e740. I was not impressed with that one at all.

jpjehu
06-30-2003, 09:11 PM
The 5450 has the intel PXA250 instead of the PXA255. It might not be as bad using a 2003 upgrade, but the performance is currently not as good.

mike6432
06-30-2003, 09:43 PM
jpjehu, i see you are currently using what I'm looking for. just with 256 SD instead of 128. Have you had any problems...how do you like your e755?

Kati Compton
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Think about how long you plan to have the device. If you want to have it for more than a year, and will want to do an upgrade to the next OS, HP seems a bit more trustworthy. However, you don't *have* to upgrade when one comes out. Like now - the 740 owners are upset that they're not getting the 2003 upgrade (and I don't blame them), but it's not like their units broke upon 2003 release. So if a 755 is everything you want now and for a while, then get it. Just make sure to buy it from a store and get a warranty to cover Toshiba's questionable support.

mashtim
06-30-2003, 10:04 PM
I just upgraded my e740 to an e750 and LOVE it!

I use mine a bit differently than you do, but the idea is the same. I usually have my CF Bluetooth card in the CF slot, making the unit VERY similar in function to the iPaq (yeah, yeah, less memory, I know, but that's where the expansion slots come in).

The fantastic thing about my Toshi750 is that when I don't have any need for BT I can simply pop in the 512MB CF card that I have in my pocket without having any need for a sled. EVER! It is FAR easier carrying a couple of CF or SD cards in your pocket for expansion than any sled, even the Silver Slider.

Another thing to consider is that while we have been hearing rumours of all these new devices that will use the SDIO slot, there are still VERY few out there. The bulk of the choices right now are CF form-factor. While this might change in the near future, you KNOW that you'll be covered, since the Toshi750 has both CF and SDIO. So, if you decide to buy that SD camera w/ flash that supposed to be coming out soon you'll still be able to have your 1GB CF card to capture pictures/video onto. Did I mention you don't need a sled EVER?

This is a personal preference, but I also will find it VERY difficult to go back to using a PPC without a jog dial. I started out with one on my Compaq Aero and loved it. Missed it tremendously on my iPaq 36??. Use it religiously on both of my Toshis now. One-handed browsing is just TOO easy now.

Either way, I think they're both good choices and it really depends on how you plan to use your PPC. Personally, I went the Toshi750 route simply because it offered me far more in the way of versatility than the iPaq (even though the iPaq has FAR more sleds and accessories available) without adding ANYTHING to the form-factor. And yes, I simply toss my PPC into a pocket more often than not. If you do this, though, I would recommend getting some WriteShields from PPCTechs.

Good luck with your dilemna! Have fun choosing!

mike6432
06-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Yes I will throw it in my pocket. I still refuse to use screne protectors though...I can just keep returning my unit at work..*cuz I work there...and I buy the warranty through us at a discount*. So if it gets scratched...I'll just bring it back and get a new one. It seems that I can have the most ease of use with the Tosh. considering I don't need any sleeves hence..everything can be plugged in at once without extra bulkiness. I'm probably going to be going with the Tosh...upgrading is not a problem due to...I sell these things at work lol. And I can just sell my accessories I bought for the iPAQ on ebay and make some money. One concern though that just came up...if the Toshiba has a problem with my NETGEAR WiFi router 814 or...the router at school, I'd have to bring it back. I should be okay though.

PetiteFlower
07-01-2003, 12:22 AM
OH MY GOD the new OS just came out a week ago and already people are worrying about whether they will be able to upgrade to the NEXT OS??? You people really need to relax....

Kati Compton
07-01-2003, 12:43 AM
OH MY GOD the new OS just came out a week ago and already people are worrying about whether they will be able to upgrade to the NEXT OS??? You people really need to relax....
That *is* part of the point of an upgradeable device. Otherwise they wouldn't have flash-able ROMs.

Ratel10mm
07-02-2003, 02:22 PM
As it happens, my job is to manage the warranty process for my region. If a customer lets me know that they abused a unit as mike6432 implys he might - I'd feel fully justified in refusing the claim.
Sorry if I sound nasty, I'm just trying to warn you guys.

As to the e750, I must admit I'm tempted - the only thing that stops me from buying the HP555x is the lack of a CF slot - surely by now they can squeeze one in there? The e750 looks like a very strong alterenative, although I would like the 555x's bluetooth & wifi.

mike6432
07-02-2003, 06:23 PM
I don't see any practical purposes for bluetooth at the moment. Only exclusion would be a bluetooth cell phone with a bluetooth headset.

mike6432
07-02-2003, 06:32 PM
I think I'm gonna hold off on this for awhile and just be happy with my iPAQ, which I am...I guess... it's like...why fix something that's not broke. I need to slow down my umpulsive shopping lol.

mike6432
07-02-2003, 06:33 PM
i mean...*Impulsive