View Full Version : No Reminders/Alarms?

safelder
06-30-2003, 07:08 PM
I've got a new 2215. Noticed this morning that it won't wake up to sound a reminder/alarm all the time. Instead, the reminder sounds the next time the unit is switched on. So far, I've gotten about 50% of my alarms.

The only software I've installed on the unit is eWallet, Pocket Informant, and Sprite Pocket Backup 2.

Anybody else seeing this symptom?

popcorn
06-30-2003, 08:44 PM
I've had the exact same experience. I've loaded very minimal third party software. The only one we had in common is Sprite Pocket Backup.

I have hard reset like 4 times now, each time loading less and less stuff, but the problem always seems to return after a day or two. I can't figure out why. I do use Bluetooth a fair amount -- you?

I called HP and they said "no idea". Wouldn't exchange it because of no CarePAQ, etc. Not sure what to do now.....it's only a week old.

Mark

safelder
06-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Haven't used bluetooth heavily yet. It doesn't seem to like my Microsoft BT transceiver (used with the BT keyboard and mouse).

Only a week...I'd suggest taking it back to the store for a refund if you can. I'm going to try a hard-reset tonight; if that fails, I'll swap it out.

Chairman Clench
07-01-2003, 02:25 AM
This was a known issue with PPC2002... I was in contact with the senior HP iPAQ engineer regarding this and he told me M$ refused to patch it in PPC2002 but that they fixed it in PPC2003. I guess they didn't.

I still believe that any PDA that doesn't give appointment reminders consistently is useless. Palms don't have this problem.

On PPC2002 you could fix this problem by installing a 3rd party app called SuperAlert. I don't know if it works in PPC2003 or not. You can get a trial version of the app at Handango. Try it and see if it fixes it.

The other thing that you can try is keeping the iPAQ on for 30 seconds after you create an appointment with a reminder. One of the explainations of this issue was that the service that checks for new reminders only runs once every 10 seconds or so. If you turned the iPAQ off before the service "found" your new appointment, it wouldn't get logged or whatever. Sounds kinda sketchy to me, but some people said that fixed it.

Personally, SuperAlert worked fine for me on PPC2002.