View Full Version : disappointments and desires

jnunn
06-30-2003, 08:01 AM
I went to Fry's today and held the h2210 and h1910 side by side after earlier marveling at each device independently. Now I cannot settle for the h2215. After observing the lines in the h2210 screen I cannot draw my eyes away from them much like I cannot ignore the dust under my trusted 3600 screen. The h1900 series' superior contrast is another weakness when considering the more recent and slightly more costly h2210. A serious aesthetics weakness of the h2210 is speaker position: one of the selling points of the original 3600 was that the speaker layout was designed for the user.

With so many weaknesses of form, I am no longer excited about the h2210 and will not make a purchase. Form, to me, is critical for a PPC: I carry my device with me at all times so it's form is a constant reminder of either elegant design or compromise. The weak battery, by the way, is not an issue with me since I will be happy to carry a separate small battery rather than have a bulging device.

An excellent device for me would be a h1945 with two SDIO slots and a serial enabled connection port for a keyboard (security and power drain cause me to worry about BT keyboards). I am mainly interested in dual slots for memory purposes: I can retain my core applications/data on a single SD (relinquishing the need for costly RAM) and use the other slot for special projects, entertainment, etc. that I may only temporarily or intermittently access. Accessories like 802.11, etc. could be accessed via the second SDIO slot where demand will drive the market for accessories in the SD form factor. Frankly, I would prefer to spend cash on SDIO accessories since I imagine that dual slot SDIO devices will be released sometime soon, thus obsoleting the relatively bulky CF.

I believe a dual slot SDIO can be done without increasing the thickness of the device. The SDIO port is small enough that two ports might be able to be soldered onto the same board plane unlike the CF and SDIO combination in the h2210. I would not mind of one of the ports is on the side of the device: memory has no antennae.

I wonder if anyone else shares this fantasy ... or maybe should I seek counseling?

Jerry Raia
06-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I was looking at a 2215 today and thought the lines were part of a theme or something. Is that really how the thing is supposed to be??

TopDog
06-30-2003, 11:39 AM
and a serial enabled connection port for a keyboard (security and power drain cause me to worry about BT keyboards).This is a little bit off-topic, but what about IR keyboards? I love my Pocketop, and the great thing is that when I can afford to buy the iPaq h1940, I can still use my keyboard :-)

I used to put all kinds of stuff in my PPC, but as time has gone by, the use stabilised... and I now see that the device I need, is the h1940. Small and sexy device with SD for memory, IR for keyboard, and bluetooth for communication.

...but then again... next week I may change my mind :frusty:

Newsboy
06-30-2003, 12:32 PM
One of the reasons I bought the h1910 in the first place was the amazing screen. I've yet to find a single PocketPC (save perhaps the 5455) that matches it in terms of brightness, contrast, and color depth. I love it! I compared it to the 2215 last week, and while the 2215 has one of the better screens out there, the 1910 is at the top of the heap IMHO, and for that reason I'll likely be going for a 1940 next.

dangerwit
06-30-2003, 12:50 PM
I was looking at a 2215 today and thought the lines were part of a theme or something. Is that really how the thing is supposed to be??

My 2215 certainly has some kind of lines at the bottom, and it bothers me a little... but when I'm looking up a map, or playing a game, peeking at my calendar, watching a movie, I just never notice them. They're not really lines, but more like a subtle lighintg issue.

I showed the device to about 10 folks in my IT department and they didn't see the lines. I think it's just us 'fans' who see 'em when we're just staring at an idle device. :)

*Phil

TopDog
06-30-2003, 01:29 PM
They're not really lines, but more like a subtle lighintg issue.If it's an err on the lightning, then thats bad... errors like that can only get worse.

Remember the first h3630 devices that came, they also had some undiscribable lines in the screen. After a while the screen flipped (really, everything was mirrored or the screen went upsidedown) and they had to be replaced. It happened to almost all of the h3630's we bought at work (about 6-7 devices). According to Compaq (before the merger) it was an error in the lightning that caused the screens to wear down very fast.

guinness
06-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Do the "lines" look like this? (It's from a Sony TG50, but it sounds similar to what you saw on the 2215).

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/images/tg50-21.jpg

My Axim has a similar effect, I don't really notice it much though, I've heard that this lighting effect is inherent to transflective screens. Might be that HP uses a more expensive LCD on the 1910.

Jerry Raia
06-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Thats exactly what they look like.

Janak Parekh
06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Ah! You guys mean the 2215's screen is exhibiting Moire patterns. Hmm, I wonder why they're that defined. An artifact of the LCD manufacturer? I've never seen them on a 1910 or a 3975. I'll go look again when I see those devices next...

--janak

Jerry Raia
06-30-2003, 04:58 PM
They catch your eye at once. I was looking at it under florescent lighting. I wonder if that made it more noticable.

jnunn
06-30-2003, 06:14 PM
The lines that bothered me seemed to be an interlacing effect since they were between the pixels. If the screen also exhibits refraction problems then the screen is seriously weak compared to the lower cost h1910. I will check out the devices again to double check.

I did not see the lines when I first saw the h2210 last week. I only saw them when I scrutinized the devices side by side and now I cannot forget them.

Is the speaker position a let down too or am I just overly critical?

madbart
07-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Reminds me of the days of the lines when the original Sony Trinitron screens were released