View Full Version : 221x vs. 555x

safelder
06-30-2003, 02:23 AM
I recently sold my 5450 on eBay for $450 in anticipation of the 5550. Unfortunately, it looks like that unit is delayed by a couple of weeks. So I picked up a 2215 at Circuit City yesterday. I may actually keep it even once the 5550 comes out! Here's why...

First, it's smaller and lighter--much more like the Palm I used to have before I went over to Pocket PC last year. Also, I don't give up all that much that hurts me. The 5550 has built-in WiFi...but I never used that feature on my 5450 (which had poor implementation anyway). The 5550 has 48 MB ROM vs. the 2215's 32 MB...all this means is that I have to use a storage card to store my RAM backups. 128 MB RAM vs. 64 (57 usable)? Heck, I never even came close to filling the 64 on my 5450. Fingerprint security? It was kind of cool, but if somebody wants access to my to do list that badly...I guess let 'em (this is the only thing I'm really annoyed about losing). Plus, this way I get to keep Nevo, which is a cool little application, and I don't need a sled for CF expansion.

While the 5450 may have been overkill, the 1910 wasn't enough for me six months ago. It's nice to see a mid-range Pocket PC that isn't a Toshiba (with its poor tech support).

I do have a few questions, though:
1) Has anyone tried eWallet or Pocket Informant on 2K3?
2) Has anyone tried Sprite Pocket Backup 2.0 (which is free for iPaq users) on 2K3?

medic119
06-30-2003, 03:05 AM
1) PI works just fine and eWallet comes on the 2215 CD so I assume it will work as well

2)Sprite is included on the 2215 as the backup as well, & the commercial release works as well, but you end up with two copies.

cab124
06-30-2003, 04:06 AM
I have been using ewallet successfully on my 2215. I haven't had any problems yet.

I'll tell ya....I am in love with my 2215. In my opinion, it is nearly perfect. I had been using an iPaq 3650 for ever since they were first released. The 2215 is worlds better. It is so much faster, it fits my hand really well, the screen is beautiful, and the joystick button is the best I have ever seen on any PDA. I couldn't be happier.

Now I am trying to determine how to get the most bang out of the wireless capabilities. I am trying to learn how to use Bluetooth, but with only limited success. I also want to add WiFi, but I am going to wait to see how the upcoming SD WiFi cards shape up.

darrylb
07-01-2003, 04:13 AM
1) PI works just fine and eWallet comes on the 2215 CD so I assume it will work as well

2)Sprite is included on the 2215 as the backup as well, & the commercial release works as well, but you end up with two copies.

I thought that Pocket Backup included was only 1.0. Is it really 2.0? Does it have the Desktop agent on the CD? Can it write Self-extracting backups :?:

Palmguy
07-01-2003, 07:44 PM
I have been using ewallet successfully on my 2215. I haven't had any problems yet.

I'll tell ya....I am in love with my 2215. In my opinion, it is nearly perfect. I had been using an iPaq 3650 for ever since they were first released. The 2215 is worlds better. It is so much faster, it fits my hand really well, the screen is beautiful, and the joystick button is the best I have ever seen on any PDA. I couldn't be happier.

Now I am trying to determine how to get the most bang out of the wireless capabilities. I am trying to learn how to use Bluetooth, but with only limited success. I also want to add WiFi, but I am going to wait to see how the upcoming SD WiFi cards shape up.

Why not just go with a CF Wifi card? The SD slot is always there for memory if needed. The SD Wifi cards are going to be so expensive (at least when they first come out and probably for at least another year), and SD memory has really come down in price, that I don't see why anyone would want a SD Wifi card instead of CF on a device like the 2215. That is, of course, unless you already have a huge investment in CF memory or some other critical CF peripheral...