View Full Version : Samsung vs. Intel CPU?

maikii
06-29-2003, 08:09 PM
I was just looking at the current HP IPAQ line of Pocket PCs, on their web site.

The 1910 and 1945 both sell for the same price, although in general the 1945 seems to have more features. For instance:

The 1945 has integrated Bluetooth, while the 1910 doesn't.

The 1945 has Pocket PC 2003 Premium Edition, while the 1910 has Pocket PC 2002 for its OS.

They both only have a SD slot (unlike the 2215 which has both SD and CF). However, the SD slot on the 1945 says it is also compatible with SDIO and MMC, and there is no mention (of such compatibility) for the 1910.

So, why do these two IPAQs sell for the same price, although the 1945 has more features? I wonder if it has something to do with the processor.

The 1910 comes with a 200 mHz Intel XScale processor. (Which I know is at the lower end of that line, more having 300 or 400 mHz these days.) (The 2215 has the 400 XScale processor.)

However, the 1945 doesn't have an Intel XScale processor at all, but a Samsung 266 mHz processor. I haven't seen a Samsung processor listed for any other Pocket PCs, most have Intel. Is that why the 1945 sells for the same price as the 1910, although most features are better? Is the Samsung processor cheaper, even than the lowest end Intel XScale processor?

How does the Samsung processor compare in performance with the Intels? As good? Better? Worse?

Any input appreciated.

Enderet
06-29-2003, 08:32 PM
I dont think many people can answer your question since nobody has tried the Samsung yet. But if you go to CNET and look up the informationt hey have on the 1945, you can get some info.

Janak Parekh
06-29-2003, 09:21 PM
So, why do these two IPAQs sell for the same price, although the 1945 has more features? I wonder if it has something to do with the processor.
Doubtful. Early reports seem to imply that the Samsung ARM chips perform somewhere between a 300MHz and a 400MHz XScale.

Instead, I expect it's because HP will just discontinue the 1910 outright instead of reducing its price. We will see deals happen as 1910 stocks start being replaced with 1940 stocks, but since the 1940 isn't available yet none of these price changes have happened.

--janak

maikii
06-29-2003, 09:32 PM
So is the 1940-45 not really available yet? If I ordered one from HP now, they wouldn't be sending it in the next couple days? When do they expect to be out? They are not available to see in stores yet? Does the 1910 look exactly the same?

Since I wrote the original post, I read in another article that the Samsung processor is supposed to equal the 400 XScale Intel in performance, while being more energy-efficient. I don't know if that's true, however.

A post in this thread says it's supposed to be in between a 300 and 400 XScale?

Has no one actually tested this Samsung processor yet? Is the 1940-45 the first machine to have that CPU?

I wonder if it is just as compatible with PPC 2003 as the Intel XScale processor is.

I am now considering getting the 1940 instead of the 2215, which was higher on my list before. The advantages of the 1940 would be much lower price, and smaller size and weight. Disadvantage would be only SD, while 2215 contains SD and CF. And I don't know if the Samsung processor would be an advantage or disadvantage or neither.

Besides the obvious factors of price and size and expansion slots, does anyone know of any other factors to consider in deciding between a 1940-45 or a 2210-15?

Janak Parekh
06-29-2003, 10:30 PM
So is the 1940-45 not really available yet? If I ordered one from HP now, they wouldn't be sending it in the next couple days? When do they expect to be out? They are not available to see in stores yet? Does the 1910 look exactly the same?
MobilePlanet lists (http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2621&pf%5Fid=MP965603&listing=1&dp%5Fid=MP965603) the 1940 as being available as of 6/30, so maybe tomorrow. :)

A post in this thread says it's supposed to be in between a 300 and 400 XScale?
Like I said, these are early reports. I'm sure once Jason gets his hands on it, he'll run a full Spb benchmark on it. :)

Has no one actually tested this Samsung processor yet? Is the 1940-45 the first machine to have that CPU?
It's certainly the first Pocket PC that uses it.

I wonder if it is just as compatible with PPC 2003 as the Intel XScale processor is.
Since Pocket PC 2003 supports ARMv4 and ARMv5, there shouldn't be any problems.

Besides the obvious factors of price and size and expansion slots, does anyone know of any other factors to consider in deciding between a 1940-45 or a 2210-15?
I'm not sure if the 1940 has a serial port on the bottom or not. The 1910 didn't, and as a result no Stowaway-style keyboards can be used.

--janak

maikii
06-29-2003, 10:52 PM
[quote="Janak ParekhI'm not sure if the 1940 has a serial port on the bottom or not. The 1910 didn't, and as a result no Stowaway-style keyboards can be used.

--janak[/quote]

There are no keyboards that can be used with the 1910! Or does HP make its own kind for it? If no keyboard can be used with the 1940, that's certainly a big disadvantage?

Does the 2210-15 have such a port?

Aren't there adapters for most models, that can adapt the cradle port to serial or USB? The 1910 must have a connector for the sync/charging cradle, no?

Janak Parekh
06-29-2003, 11:19 PM
There are no keyboards that can be used with the 1910! Or does HP make its own kind for it? If no keyboard can be used with the 1940, that's certainly a big disadvantage?
The only keyboard that can be used with the 1910 is the PockeTop IR keyboard (http://www.pocketop.net/).

Jason's review (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,13980) implies it uses a serial port compatible with (or adaptable to) the 3800/3900/5400 series models:

"I wanted to make a special note of the fact that the bottom port is compatible with the Stowaway XT keyboard, which makes this an awesome tool for portable note taking and document work."

Again, it's possible they fixed the 1940 so it's the same. But I don't know.

Aren't there adapters for most models, that can adapt the cradle port to serial or USB? The 1910 must have a connector for the sync/charging cradle, no?
The 1910 only has USB guest. You need a USB host on the other side, which implies only connectivity to a computer (unless you use IR).

--janak

maikii
06-30-2003, 12:54 AM
On the Pocketop site, they have good reviews of that product. Anyone reading here actually used one? I wonder how reliable IR is for a keyboard connection? If the 1940 has the same limitation, that is a definite negative, only being able to use an IR keyboard.

So, with the 1910, is there absolutely no way to connect it to a cell phone, to use the cell phone as a modem? No way to connect it to either my USB or serial data cables, which connect to my phone? No other cable that will do that?

If that's also true with the 1940, a deciding negative for me. True, the 1940 has Bluetooth, so if my phone had Bluetooth, and if that worked reliably, I could do it that way. But my phone doesn't have Bluetooth! So, if there is no way to connect the 1940-45 with my cell phone, I definitely won't get one.

Anyone else have any further information on this? Anyone got a 1940-45 yet?

The only keyboard that can be used with the 1910 is the PockeTop IR keyboard (http://www.pocketop.net/).

Jason's review (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,13980) implies it uses a serial port compatible with (or adaptable to) the 3800/3900/5400 series models:

"I wanted to make a special note of the fact that the bottom port is compatible with the Stowaway XT keyboard, which makes this an awesome tool for portable note taking and document work."

Again, it's possible they fixed the 1940 so it's the same. But I don't know.

The 1910 only has USB guest. You need a USB host on the other side, which implies only connectivity to a computer (unless you use IR).

--janak

Janak Parekh
06-30-2003, 01:01 AM
So, with the 1910, is there absolutely no way to connect it to a cell phone, to use the cell phone as a modem? No way to connect it to either my USB or serial data cables, which connect to my phone? No other cable that will do that?
Only an IR-enabled cell phone can be used.

If that's also true with the 1940, a deciding negative for me. True, the 1940 has Bluetooth, so if my phone had Bluetooth, and if that worked reliably, I could do it that way. But my phone doesn't have Bluetooth! So, if there is no way to connect the 1940-45 with my cell phone, I definitely won't get one.
Well, first off it depends on the presence of the serial port. Even without that, you might be able to get an SDIO serial card. But this is all moot discussion until we find out what the 1940 does or doesn't have, as you ask.

--janak