View Full Version : PPC called a Palm Pilot?

David Prahl
06-28-2003, 06:51 PM
How often do people call your Pocket PC a "Palm Pilot?" What do you tell them to call it?

Pat Logsdon
06-28-2003, 07:08 PM
What do you tell them to call it?
At this point, several things happen to me when people call my Axim a Palm Pilot.

First, one eye pops out a little bit.
A vein starts throbbing in my temple.
The eye that isn't popped starts twitching.
I begin trembling very...very...slightly.
I start to emit a series of high pitched strangling noises.

Then they usually order their iced latte and leave me alone to enjoy my frappuccino in silence. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I've found that a nice solid smack upside the head usually serves to remind people. Good physical mnemonic, that. 8)

dean_shan
06-28-2003, 07:43 PM
They used to do it a lot when I first got it. Now most people I am with now know that it is somthing much better.

msprague
06-28-2003, 08:00 PM
When you are in conversation with a non-geek what do you call your device? Pocket PC, PDA, Planner, ... ?

I have found myself saying PDA more often than Pocket PC unless I am at work where they actually know what I am talking about. Is that bad? Of course if they express the slightest curiosity in the device I explain that it is a Pocket PC.

David Prahl
06-28-2003, 08:33 PM
If they call my Axim X5 a Palm or Palm Pilot, I ask them to call it a Pocket PC.

If an analog person asks me what it is, I tell them it's a handheld computer.

However, at home and at work I REQUIRE everyone (except the exec. dir.) to call it a Pocket PC. My sisters cannot play Snails on it unless they call it a Pocket PC! :mrgreen:

Crystal Eitle
06-28-2003, 08:33 PM
When you are in conversation with a non-geek what do you call your device? Pocket PC, PDA, Planner, ... ?

I have found myself saying PDA more often than Pocket PC unless I am at work where they actually know what I am talking about. Is that bad? Of course if they express the slightest curiosity in the device I explain that it is a Pocket PC.
I call it a Pocket PC. If they can't figure out what that means, they're a little :duh: .

My friends called my Pocket PC a Palm when I first got it, until I put the :twak: on them. Now it's gone so far in the other direction, a friend of mine refers to his hand-me-down Handspring Visor as a "Pocket PC." :lol:

Gremmie
06-28-2003, 09:02 PM
I just call it a handheld, Palm Pilot is the Kleenex of the PDA world.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 09:52 PM
I just call it a handheld, Palm Pilot is the Kleenex of the PDA world.
Heheh. I only explain Pocket PCs if people are genuinely interested in PDAs (or if they should be). Otherwise, I refer to it as my "handheld" mostly, sometimes "organizer" if the audience would be tripped up by "handheld". ;)

--janak

madbart
06-29-2003, 01:37 AM
I am continually telling my wife unless she stops calling it a palm she will not be alound to use it! Nothing annoys me more! :pukeface2: