View Full Version : DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT ACTIVESYNC DAMMIT

Vincent M Ferrari
06-28-2003, 03:55 AM
Many of you will probably remember my "I take my leave" post. I've decided to give the PPC another go. I tried to install activesync and it won't go. I load the CD, get to the part where activesync "downloads" and then it pauses. In my task manager are two running processes, setup.exe and isetup.exe

Nothing happens, and AS will not install. Period.

What do I do? I can't even fathom the thought of reformatting my 60 gig HD.

HELP!

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 04:45 AM
This sounds more like an InstallShield or Windows Installer problem, not an ActiveSync problem.

Reboot your PC, make sure your TEMP folder(s) is(are) empty, and try again? Try copying the MSASYNC.EXE package to your desktop and try launching it from there. Anyone else have other suggestions?

--janak

Pony99CA
06-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Many of you will probably remember my "I take my leave" post. I've decided to give the PPC another go. I tried to install activesync and it won't go. I load the CD, get to the part where activesync "downloads" and then it pauses. In my task manager are two running processes, setup.exe and isetup.exe

Nothing happens, and AS will not install. Period.

Maybe Microsoft is getting its revenge for you being a turncoat. :rofl:

Steve

Jacob
06-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Janak's suggestions are good.

I'm not sure what the isetup program is, but the version of InstallShield that ActiveSync uses doesn't use any file called iSetup.exe.

You might want to kill the setup.exe process - since it may very well have just hung.

Go to where the installation was going to install ActiveSync to and delete the files from there.

Download to your desktop, clear the temp directory and try running it again as Janak suggested.

Had you installed anything recently before that?

portnoy
06-28-2003, 12:21 PM
When I bought my 6in1 USB card reader/writer I spent two days trying to install it without success. Then as an act of desperation I flashed the BIOS in my computer (an 850Mhz Athlon machine I built a couple years ago) and then everything went perfectly. Never another problem. Could it be that the people with AS problems need to update THEIR BIOS'? Worth a shot, as my AS installs went perfectly and I've never experienced any AS problems at all.

Vincent M Ferrari
06-28-2003, 03:28 PM
It was definitely installshield hanging for whatever reason. Anyway, thanks for the responses, and here's what actually ended up working:

I downloaded 3.7 from MS's website, and ran the package. When it hung, I rebooted the computer so the contents of the package would stay in my temp folder. When it restarted, I went into my temp folder, opened up the only folder that was there (this one) and ran the setup program. It hung also. :evil:

Out of frustration, I just kept clicking it and clicking it and clicking it and clicking it and clicking it. I started to realize that I wasn't going to get anywhere with my frustrations, so I started ending processes and on the third ended process, the setup started. 8O

From then, it was smooth sailing. Now I just have to manually go through my stuff and make sure the stuff I changed on my palm remains the same on the Axim. :?

Thanks so much for the quick answers. I'll have you all know that one of the reasons I came back was you guys. I missed this site almost as much as I missed my Axim.

My trip to the dark side is now over, STEVE! :mrgreen: