View Full Version : 5555 Bluetooth: What are the limitations?

dahmooser
06-28-2003, 02:01 AM
With a HP5555 and bluetooth, certainly the obvious thing you can do is use it to link to a cell phone and pay through the roof for data quota based rates, but what about MP3 players and CD players, as well as earpieces.

Do all of these work with the 5555? It seems I read somewhere that the 5455 wouldn't work with an earpiece, sounds stupid to me. Is there anyone who knows the limitations of the $650 5555?

With Warm Regards,

Dahmooser

Enderet
06-28-2003, 02:09 AM
I would answer your questions, but since you tried to lie to everyone here at PPCTHOUGHTS with that first post you ever made, I wont. :soapbox:

madbart
06-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Come'on give him a break..i thought this forum was meant to be a friendly place............the headset profile more than likley won't be supported as most BT manufactures don't seem is as necessary.

The only BT adapter on the market than supports BT headset profile out of the box is TDK.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 04:38 AM
use it to link to a cell phone and pay through the roof for data quota based rates
Actually, T-Mobile has unlimited GPRS for $19.95/month.

but what about MP3 players and CD players
Absolutely no MP3 or CD player I know of has Bluetooth.

as well as earpieces.
There are undocumented ways of getting headsets to work with the 545x, and these might work with the 555x. However, Bluetooth's fundamental limitation is that it's not really fast enough to handle uncompressed stereo audio (it's ~ 700kbps max, or 87.5kBps, and stereo 44.1KHz 16-bit audio needs 162kBps), so until you see some very clever solutions, this is not going to be practical.

--janak

P.S. Enderet: I'm a believer in giving a second chance. If you don't want to reply, feel free not to. ;) I believe this is a valuable discussion for all concerned, so I am...

freitasm
06-28-2003, 04:41 AM
The only BT adapter on the market than supports BT headset profile out of the box is TDK.

Actually all BT adapters based on CSR support BT headset if using the software version 1.3 and up. This includes TDK and Bluetake, DLINK and others.

madbart
06-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Does the bluetake & D-Link support the headset profile out of the box? I was under the understanding that the TDK was the only one?
:?

freitasm
06-28-2003, 06:10 AM
Does the bluetake & D-Link support the headset profile out of the box? I was under the understanding that the TDK was the only one?
:?

Yes, they do. The DLINK site has the latest 1.4, including HID profile. TDK is beta testing the new version (look at this review (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1008) where I use a MS Bluetooth mouse and keyboard set with my TDK (beta 1.4)) and I was told by Bluetake thqt they're updating the documentation now...

freitasm
06-28-2003, 06:12 AM
but what about MP3 players and CD players
Absolutely no MP3 or CD player I know of has Bluetooth.

Actually the Sony Ericsson HBM-30 (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=509) should do just fine...

When paired to a mobile phone it works as a headset. You can listen to your music, and if a call comes in, it mutes the player, transfers the call, and so on... Very cool!

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Actually the Sony Ericsson HBM-30 (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=509) should do just fine...
Ah, right. However, I don't think this is in the way the poster was implying. As I read it, he/she was asking for an MP3 player that could pair with a BT headset. That, I believe, still doesn't exist.

--janak

xoiph
06-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Yeah. Ipaq 5650 my eye! I forgive you though :bangin:

The only Bluetooth devices that I've seen that work with PPC are mobile phones, gps recievers, and other bluetooth enabled PCs or PPCs. It would be cool if there was a BT reciever in your car, so you could play your mp3s; or a BT stereo, or a BT refrigerator, so it would let your PPC know when you're out of lettuce and create a "Get more lettuce" entry in Tasks. I'm thinking eventually we'll get there. For now, GPS and cell phones.

madbart
06-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Funny you should mention BT in cars.... i was reading not to long ago that SAAB are soon to introduce BT points in some models

spursdude
06-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Funny you should mention BT in cars.... i was reading not to long ago that SAAB are soon to introduce BT points in some models
Great... so you can read your e-mails and surf online while going 70mph... and controlling your car.... 8O

freitasm
06-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Great... so you can read your e-mails and surf online while going 70mph... and controlling your car.... 8O

Hmmm. Not really. Parrot (France) makes the Bluetooth used in BMW and Volvos. They have a cool thing, called DriveBlue (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=910) (and I've just given one away :wink: ).

Anyway, it's a "movable" handsfree. It's pretty cool. The only difference between this and the BMW model is that that one is integrated: reduce air conditioning level (noise), mutes the radio, etc.

Of course Bluetooth in the car would not be for browsing the net. Buy playing MP3 in a 10 speakers in-car stereo system would be good :mrgreen: