View Full Version : Configuration question

cab124
06-27-2003, 11:41 PM
OK...here is an interesting question....

Assume that you don't own and exansion cards, and you just bought a new iPaq 2215 that has both a CF slot and an SD slot.

You want to add memory and WiFi capability. Which configuration makes the most sense, and why?

1. SD - use for memory, CF - use for WiFi

2. SD - use for WiFi (when available), CF - use for memory

A few other questions:

1. Is it possible to have two PDA's synch to the same computer with ActiveSync?

2. Does it really make sense to spend the money for a BlueTooth adapter for synching to the desktop when it will be much slower than the using the cradle...especially when transfering media files?

3. Can BlueTooth be used to enable the 2215 to see the internet for web surfing, or is this better done with WiFi?

I am new to all this wireless stuff, so I appreciate any info!!! Thanks!

Enderet
06-27-2003, 11:53 PM
I say go with the 2nd option which is using SD for WiFi and CF for memory. I say this because CF memory is so much more chea[er and well... it looks like CF is taking off much more better than SD. You have these CF cards coming out with insance amounts of mem, which might or might not be a big thing for you(but its never bad too have a lot of mem).

The other 3 questions...I am clueless about :(

Pat Logsdon
06-27-2003, 11:56 PM
You want to add memory and WiFi capability. Which configuration makes the most sense, and why?

It'll be cheaper to go for option 1. CF format devices are cheaper than SD, and SD memory prices are dropping rather rapidly.

In my opinion, the (inevitable) high price of SDIO devices outweighs the low cost of CF memory.

Enderet
06-28-2003, 12:06 AM

It'll be cheaper to go for option 1. CF format devices are cheaper than SD, and SD memory prices are dropping rather rapidly.

In my opinion, the (inevitable) high price of SDIO devices outweighs the low cost of CF memory.

Yeah you have some good points there. I am the type that likes to carry a lot of movies, music, games, and books in his PPC, and SD mem (in its current stage cant afford it, since its max is 512[at the time]). That is why I would go with CF, because of the insane amounts of mem available.

madbart
06-28-2003, 12:38 AM
I would us the SD slot for memory and the CF slot for Wifi.
I would imagine that a SD WiFi card would be a whole lot more expensive than the CF version.

In answer to your other questions

2. If you have a WiFi card why would you not use that for syncing. It is the quickest method of syncing, even quicker than the craddle. No need for BT on the desktop unless you have a BT phone that you wish to transfer contacts, appointment etc from your desktop PC.

3. I can't see any reason as to why the the unit could not be configured to browse the web etc by BT via the deskop or GPRS.

If you intend to use the unit for access just around your house i would recommend BT as it is cheaper. Also look at the Belkin (tecom) unit or if you want Headset support over BT i would use the TDK unit as it is the only unit that supports the headset profile out of the box. Then you could use a Jabra heaset through MSN etc on your desktop PC.

If you want to browse the web etc external to you house via hot spots then get the WiFi.

Sven Johannsen
06-28-2003, 04:20 AM
While SD memory is not as cost effective as CF memory, SD peripherals are still limited and more expensive. There is nothing stopping you from having SD memory on which you put frequently used programs and file, and picking up a few CF cards for music & video collections if those are extensive.. What you lose is the ability to use a peripheral, Camera, GPS, network card, while listening to or viewing the media on a CF card. Possibly your usage may not suffer from that.

While I don't know if it is true for the 2215 off-hand, for other PPCs (such as the AXIM, the SD slot placement would make SD peripherals awkward (if it were to be IO capable).

ToeCutter
06-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Bluetooth web browsing works GREAT, as does GPRS access with my Sony T68i.

I just got a Belkin Bluetooth USB Adapter (F8T001 - 100 Meter range) because I'm a fan of Belkin's BT stack. It works flawlessly. I have web access ANYWHERE in my 2000 sq ft house, as well as in most of my front and backyard! It was a cinch to setup as well. Not bad for a $50 adapter.

My Sony T68i also plays very well with the 2215. I've yet to have difficulty connecting via GPRS, even at my parent's house, which is in rural southern Michigan. I grossly underestimated the convienience of having email access virtually anywhere I go. It has saved me a great deal of time and gas already. PIE works wonderfully as well. Mobile Mapquest, anyone?

I think HP has nailed it with this device. Excellent form factor, blistering speed, great software and exceptional battery life put the 2215 miles ahead of any Palm or PPC device I've used.

I'd give this PDA 9.5 out of 10. I'd give it a perfect 10, except for the fact that quite a bit of software still doesn't work with PPC2003, but I'm sure that will change very soon.