View Full Version : So what is the deal with Calculator?

aroma
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
This was brought up in a thread over in the Viewsonic forum, but I thought I would mention it here to get more response. I thought that the Calculator application is a standard component of PPC 2002. Yet some of us noticed that the Calculator in some PPC 2002 devices, specifically the V37, is different than other PPC's. On some PPC 2002 devices, such as the e740 or the iPAQ 5450, the calculator is many shades of blue with more tear drop shaped keys. Yet on the V37, the Calculator is just plain white with perfectly round keys. It looks completely different! Any suggestions on why this is?

- Aaron

Pat Logsdon
06-27-2003, 06:11 PM
I have no idea why this is, but it's the same way on my Axim - the weird shaped keys on the blue background. Personally, I like the plain one better - the blue one looks kind of amateurish.

aroma
06-27-2003, 06:13 PM
I have no idea why this is, but it's the same way on my Axim - the weird shaped keys on the blue background. Personally, I like the plain one better - the blue one looks kind of amateurish.

Definately odd... I would have thought that the Calculator was a standard, unchangable component of PPC 2002. :duh:

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 06:40 PM
While we're on the subject, anyone know the difference between the C and CE buttons? I'm used to C and AC, so I don't know which one is the "all clear" button!

davidspalding
06-27-2003, 06:43 PM
CE generally means "clear entry," while C clears registers completely (like what you call AC).

Pat Logsdon
06-27-2003, 06:44 PM
While we're on the subject, anyone know the difference between the C and CE buttons? I'm used to C and AC, so I don't know which one is the "all clear" button!
"C" clears everything, "CE" clears just the last entry. So if you do 4 + 4 and meant to add 4 + 6, you could hit CE and change the last entry to 4. This only works if you haven't yet hit "=", though. :mrgreen:

netBEUI
06-27-2003, 07:13 PM
aroma: can you post a picture of the calculator on your V37?

Thanks

pocketpcdude1024
06-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Just FYI - the calculator app is skinable - just look in the "Windows" folder and you'll see two images of the calculator - one that looks like it normally would and one that looks like all the buttons are being tapped at once. Viewsonic may have changed these images in the ROM of their devices. ;)

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys, I felt dumb but at least I know now!

Enderet
06-27-2003, 11:43 PM
I wonder if we can download these skins somewhere

Sven Johannsen
06-28-2003, 04:26 AM
Additionally, the white background calculator was what was originally supplied with PPC2002. The blue, teardrop thing showed up on EUU1, IIRC. It also added the relatively useless currency conversion feature, at that time.

Since MS chose not to make any changes in any system screens. the format of the calculator was one of the ways you could tell which End User Update had been applied.

David Prahl
06-28-2003, 04:30 AM
Did anyone else with an Axim X5 notice that US dollars are not included in the currency converter??

:roll:

dean_shan
06-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Did anyone else with an Axim X5 notice that US dollars are not included in the currency converter??
It's not just the Axim, my e740 is the same way. You have to set the rate yourself.

Hyperluminal
06-28-2003, 02:40 PM
The only currencies they have are the Euro, and the former currencies of countries now using the Euro, probably because they have a fixed conversion rate...

Jerry Raia
06-28-2003, 04:13 PM
There are some pretty good 3rd party calcs out there too. I use Omnisolve.

dean_shan
06-28-2003, 07:39 PM
There are some pretty good 3rd party calcs out there too. I use Omnisolve.
Is it free? I would like a simple, free, replacement calculator.

Jerry Raia
06-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Not free, but worth the $25. Take a look.

http://www.landware.com/omnisolve/

TopDog
06-28-2003, 08:15 PM
It also added the relatively useless currency conversion feature, at that time.How can you say that? I love the conversion tool! Use it all the time when I'm on holidays or business trips...

Sven Johannsen
06-29-2003, 06:15 PM
It also added the relatively useless currency conversion feature, at that time.How can you say that? I love the conversion tool! Use it all the time when I'm on holidays or business trips...

I can say that because I am in the US and you are in Norway. While the Euro translations are built in (so it seems, since they are fixed?) any conversions to US Dollars must be manually looked up, and entered. That entry is not persistant over even a soft reset. So on my side of the world, it is relatively useless, and being a boorish, egocentric American, I assume my opinions are valid worldwide ;)

I actually use WorldMate by MobiMate to do the currency and other conversions. It looks up the new rates over the internet whenever I sync and sets them automatically. There are other products that do that as well.

Jerry Raia
06-29-2003, 06:18 PM
I actually use WorldMate by MobiMate to do the currency and other conversions. It looks up the new rates over the internet whenever I sync and sets them automatically. There are other products that do that as well.

Thats what I use. Works pretty good too.

TopDog
06-29-2003, 06:27 PM
being a boorish, egocentric American, I assume my opinions are valid worldwide ;)
I'm glad you realise that... because most of you guys are :twisted: