View Full Version : Lets settle this ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!

rzanology
06-27-2003, 04:37 PM
im tired of the debates about which pocket pc is better....so here it is... 3970!!!!!!!! and don't argue because im not listening :) But seriously, it may not have the most to offer and it may not be the cheapest, but i think we can all agree it is the most rock solid pda on the market. LEET THE BATTLE BEGIN!!! (axim owners need not apply...thats not a real ppc :twisted: )

Kati Compton
06-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Let's not have a flame war.

rzanology
06-27-2003, 04:41 PM
no this i more of a skirmish, a war would be to tell me that palm makes the world a better place.....but you still have to admit....the 3970 is still the king :)

thomas1973
06-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Let's not have a flame war.
Why not? :mrgreen:

I mean, the rzanology is practically begging for it, and we all need to blow a little aggression once in a while. While I agree flaming is something to be avoided on the 'normal' threads, no one in their right mind would enter and read this thread expecting a clean discussion :lol: :twisted:

<flame mode>
BTW I partly agree on rzanology's Axim statement. But I think it is actually a PPC, it's just very well disguised :lol: . And I guess the 3970 is great if you want a brick with a sleek design.
</flame mode>

But I'll stop the thrashing here, as my iPaq 1915, while sleek and small, is not really up for this kind of battling. And I guess flame wars are kind of childish - sort of like food fights in school. :splat:

Thomas.

rzanology
06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
lol a brick? atlease i know my brick can surf the web with out pausing every 3 seconds while the cpu is thinking about doing what is should. And about that axim? naaah man....its just too big....looks more like the apple neuton's cousin or something.

davidspalding
06-27-2003, 05:21 PM
How much did your unbeatable PDA cost? I got my whole kit (and that includes cradles for home and work, extra adapters, cases, stylii, screen protectors, and must-have software) for less than $350. Beat that, rzanology. We're all very happy that you're proud of your choice, but it's only that ... your choice. Not the best choice for all users.

Let's leave it at that, and if you're not mature enough to accept "different strokes for different folks," then ... this banner's for you. ,)

http://www.chickenhead.com/bannertown/images/hummur3.gif (www.chickenhead.com)

rhmorrison
06-27-2003, 05:28 PM
:multi: I resent the fact that with the beautiful and powerful hp Jornada 568 that I was forced to select the other selection.

rzanology
06-27-2003, 05:30 PM
you do have a very valid point....but the fact of the batter is...the 3970 remains the most solid and reliable ppc on the market. And i think the most attractive....well...let me take that back...the 1910 is pretty damn sexy....but it still looks better than half the other blocks of wood.

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 06:24 PM
If you guys want to duke it out for days about the best Pocket PC, so be it...

Just remember to respect the opinions of others and be nice...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Oh PLEASE.

The 3970 is like a 10th of an inch smaller then the axim, it's just as clunky; the screen is .3" bigger; other then that it offers absolutely NOTHING that the Axim doesn't have. The differences do NOT justify the $300 price difference. Plus the Axim has a CF slot which adds to your expansion possibilities immensely, and I think it has 16M more ROM too.

The price alone though makes me hate HP. If it was competatively priced with the Axim then you might make an argument to go for the Ipaq instead, but from where I sit, it would just be like flushing your money down the toilet.

etalianstallion
06-27-2003, 06:50 PM
1) How is the battery life of the 3970 compared to the Axim? Not quite there, is it.

2) Does the 3970 offer a removable battery? Nope.

3) Does the 3970 offer a CF slot? Nope.

4) Which is a bigger/thicker/heavier--the Axim with an extended battery or the 3970 with a sleeve for CF/battery? (do I really to spell out the answer this one?)

5) How much more did you pay for the 3970 (forget the sleeve) than I did for the Axim? $100-$200, probably more.

now for the most important question of all:

Which device has a cradle with a gun-metal mirror finish that emits a bluish glow when docked? That's right, the Axim!

davidspalding
06-27-2003, 06:59 PM
... but the fact of the batter is...the 3970 remains the most solid and reliable ppc on the market.

Somehow I don't get the idea that you appreciate that the above statement is only your point of view. The 1999-vintage PDA I'm using is solid, reliable, and ... was, until recently, still on the market. You didn't even include HP and other brands in your poll options. Engage brain before pulling trigger finger.

The needle on my Troll-o-meter (http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/t/Troll-O-Meter.html) is pegged. End of line.

aroma
06-27-2003, 07:12 PM
....but the fact of the batter is...the 3970 remains the most solid and reliable ppc on the market.

Oh really? So you've tested all other PPC's on the market, including all the newly released ones?

rzanology
06-27-2003, 07:23 PM
AAAAAAAAH you guys are killing me here....can't i just be a bias ipaq owner???

aroma
06-27-2003, 07:38 PM

LEET THE BATTLE BEGIN!!!

Not when you come out with the gloves swinging! :mrgreen:

Wallet Boy
06-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Why is Toshiba on the list?

Lack of OEM support should have disqualified it from the start.

thomas1973
06-27-2003, 08:17 PM
The 3970 is like a 10th of an inch smaller then the axim, it's just as clunky; the screen is .3" bigger; other then that it offers absolutely NOTHING that the Axim doesn't have.
Well, the 3970 actually has a design. In my opinion the Axim is an ugly piece of plastic the size of a brick! The 3970 is pretty much a brick too, but a nicely designed one :lol:

That being said, the Dell Axim was probably the best thing to happen to the PPC marked in years! For the first time you could get a powerful PPC for a reasonable price! So I'm grateful to the Axim family for bringing down the prices on the scene.

There's no way HP would've priced the 1910 at $299 if it wasn't for Dell! So thank you, all you Axim buyers, I may not be very jealous of your PPC, but you made it possible for me to get my dream machine!

Thomas.

Jhokur2k
06-27-2003, 08:31 PM
*Throws Axim as hard as possible, tagging directly in the head* Yeah it's a brick *picks up Axim and continues using* but I like it. :twisted:

etalianstallion
06-27-2003, 08:59 PM

LEET THE BATTLE BEGIN!!!

Not when you come out with the gloves swinging! :mrgreen:

Yeah, so who was it that started this whole thread? Don't dish out anything you can't handle.

Also, if you wanted a "once-and-for-all" poll on this, I'd suggest that you list all the PPC manufacturers.

ntractv
06-27-2003, 11:10 PM
My first PDA was a Sharp Zaurus 5800 series w/fax, from there I bought a Casio E-11 and loved it, from there I went to the Casio E-115 and loved that as well, from there the iPAQ 3635 and again, loved it just as much. Now I'm on the iPAQ 3835 and guess what, love that just as much as all the formers.

My first car was a Hyundai Elantra, loved it. Took me where I needed to go. Next car was a beautiful jet black Dodge Stratus, loved it, took me where I needed to go. Then I went out and bought and still own a Ford Explorer XLT Four Wheel Drive, guess what, I love it just as much as those that came before it.

My point:

If you like it and does what you bought it to do, what is the problem?

All this talk about size (I won't go there but I could) is silly. The one point that all these flame wars never mention is that simply; all PDA's fit in the palm of your hand. Find the one that has the functions that you want and work with it.

For myself, I love the iPAQ, and yes, it has quirks just like all other PDA's. But, you deal with it and move on. If we didn't love our PDA's, we would not be here on the boards sharing our thoughts, wisdom, and insight helping others.

This is really starting to sound like of bunch of size queens (no offense and no pun intended).

If you have a PDA that you love, stop putting down other PDA owners that don't have the one you have.

P.S. I am going to get the HP 5555 brick. Because it will do what I am buying it for.

PetiteFlower
06-27-2003, 11:14 PM
*looks around, checks the doors*

Hey, who let the logical guy in here???

ntractv
06-27-2003, 11:22 PM
*looks around, checks the doors*

Hey, who let the logical guy in here???

If that was intended for me (I hope it was, if not, I'll sit in my corner now and berate myself for speaking my thoughts), thank you.

PDA owners of the world unite, let us stop bickering amongst ourselves and enjoy the world of PPC

madbart
06-27-2003, 11:48 PM
My first pocket PC was a 3600 series, second was a 3700 and recently i have upgraded again.

I did have alook at the Axim but was simply put off by the "feel" of the unit. I simply prefer the solid feel of the Ipaqs.

I ended up purchasing a 5450....simply because it had everything i required built into the unit (wifi, BT, consumer iR) therefore doing away with the need for a CF slot..... the SD slot does everything i need which is accept additional memory!

I will add a GPS at a latter stage and do that via BT.

Enderet
06-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Wow im surprised Steven or someone else didnt send this to the hall of flame... 8)

David Prahl
06-28-2003, 12:17 AM
The geek/nerd population should not be the only group of people with these marvels of technology.

I've only seen 2 PDA ads on TV EVER, and they were for Palms. Not even Dell!! :|

Speaking of "uniting", we need to tell other "normal" people about our favorite devices. I did a speech on my Palm m105 two years ago in
English class, and 5 other people in that class of 25 bought a Palm that year!

We need to make people buy more Pocket PCs, so the technology will advance and prices will go down.

The same thing that happened to cell phones in the past decade CAN happen to Pocket PCs!
SHARE THE GEEK GOSPEL! :mrgreen:

ntractv
06-28-2003, 12:31 AM
We need to make people buy more Pocket PCs, so the technology will advance and prices will go down.

The PPC biased part of me that leans toward PPC would agree, but, I would really suggest people buy the device that will do what they need. Mind you, I am a PPC freak and would never go over to the dark side of Palm, and I have recommended in the past to others (based on what they need to accomplish) to buy a Palm.

The technology is there, but, OEM's release what they think we consumers want based on market research. Market research has about much accuracy as polls and political pundits.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Wow im surprised Steven or someone else didnt send this to the hall of flame... 8)
Well, as long as you guys don't insulting each other, why would we mind? It's not a front-page post that you're rambling on... :)

--janak

thomas1973
06-28-2003, 01:23 AM
PDA owners of the world unite, let us stop bickering amongst ourselves and enjoy the world of PPC
But I think we do feel united, and we do enjoy the world of PPC :beer:
- this is just a bit of friendly 'bickering', isn't it :duh: :roll: :wink:

And "size doesn't matter", yeah right... :splat:

Thomas.

PS. love your 'ntractv' name :way to go: , but I thought it went better with your last avatar. Why the change? DS.

spursdude
06-28-2003, 01:33 AM
So I have the Audiovox Maestro, the best Pocket PC ever!

Okay, just kidding... as much as I love it, only 32MB RAM, weak screen, weak battery life, semi-screwed up digitizer. :)

Although I haven't used many other Pocket PCs, I'd have to say the 2215 takes the cake in my mind for the moment. Everything about it is basically ideal except for the lack of Record button and slightly small battery (though I can deal with it coming from a Maestro!)

David Prahl
06-28-2003, 04:34 AM
Wow! This was deliberately started as a "flame thread," but fizzled out in only three pages! :way to go:

Just curious, does anyone know what the longest thread currently is? (in pages?) :?:

etalianstallion
06-28-2003, 04:48 AM
Here's a long one, 21 pages...started by yours truly! :mrgreen:

cases for the Dell Axim? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5962)

But here is an even longer one, at a whopping 35 pages!!!

Pictures of your computer setup (hi-res pic alert!) (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9034&highlight=workspace)

Pony99CA
06-28-2003, 07:19 AM
Oh PLEASE.

The 3970 is like a 10th of an inch smaller then the axim, it's just as clunky; the screen is .3" bigger; other then that it offers absolutely NOTHING that the Axim doesn't have. The differences do NOT justify the $300 price difference. Plus the Axim has a CF slot which adds to your expansion possibilities immensely, and I think it has 16M more ROM too.
The 3970 was the first Pocket PC with 48 MB ROM, actually. Oh, and when did the Axim get Bluetooth? Maybe you're confusing the 3950 with the 3970. :-)

Let the flames rain down! :devilboy:

Steve

pez
06-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Bahaha this thread rocks cause its making me laugh.. Specially the pegging of the axim at someones head :P

Now for my opinion..

I believe that all companies have there strong points etc.. If we were to throw in the new systems into the crowd that were just released the Ipaqs would lead with the 3 new Ipaqs coming out and having great reviews..

Now if we were to exclude those I would probably have to go with dell..

Dell has the price BY A LARGE MARGIN. They have the Expansion CF/SD while ipaqs require PHAT sleeves.

They also have all other features that 3950's come with. Yea they dont have built in bluetooth like 3970's but guess what? Thats 1 less slot for the axim and that makes it completly equal to the ipaq :)

The ipaqs have HORRIBLE battery life compared to a 7 hr on 1 charge axim.

Cons on the axim though are IR, and Sound mainly with the speaker. But the rubber grips and all the other great features with a pxa 255 (not a full one but at least better then normal 250's) just kick some serious butt :)

nosmohtac
06-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks Pony, I was going to respond to that post with those same thoughts.

I too love my 3970, but love all of you Axim owners as well.
I believe the 3970 is the most stable PDA.(again, just my belief)
but the oblong D-pad sucks for playing games.

The Dell Axim is an incredible PDA and I have talked 6 coworkers in to buying one. Only one has had any problems, and none had any experience per se with computers let alone PDA's.
Only one other coworker has an ipaq, and that's my Boss. Maybe cause he could afford the higher price tag.

The toshiba's IMO are ugly, but very functional. Main reason I didn't buy one is because of all of the wonderful opinions and information on this site, that told me that Toshiba didn't like to support their previous products with EUU's. This has become very evident recently.

The 5450,IMO is not quite as pleasing to the eyes, but is a power house with a few problems. I can easily see myself moving up to the 5550 though.

The 2215 is a beautiful and powerful PDA. The only negative comment on this device is the size of the battery, but you can't have it all.

I love the world of ppc, and as was said earlier, any device that you buy, that does what you want it to do, is the right device. This includes whether you can actually fit it in you pocket, or you have to use a belt clip and case, or a Scott eVest.

PS Can anyone tell me why the 2215 only has 57.11 MB available to the user, when it is advertised as a 64MB PPC. Most have 63.18MB

Hyperluminal
06-28-2003, 02:35 PM
The 2215's actually not advertised as having 64MB, they say (on the box anyway) that it has like 56MB.

And, in case anyone was wondering, the 2215 is of course the best PPC out there, hands down! :D
It's smaller than the Axim (not to mention a lot nicer to look at :lol: ), has dual slots, a 400MHz XScale, transflective screen, BT, and a company who will actually back up their product (don't get me started with Dell). Like the 5555, you can have WiFi (with a CF card, and still have a slot left), and unlike the 5555, it's not the size of a cinderblock (nor is it $650)... :D

thomas1973
06-28-2003, 04:33 PM
And, in case anyone was wondering, the 2215 is of course the best PPC out there, hands down! :D
It's smaller than the Axim (not to mention a lot nicer to look at :lol: ), has dual slots, a 400MHz XScale, transflective screen, BT, and a company who will actually back up their product
So can you tell HP's 'fantastic' customer support to get to work on that PPC2003 for my 1910 the next time you talk to them :twisted:

Thomas.

TopDog
06-28-2003, 04:52 PM
I used to have the 3970 with the Silverslider CFII. It was an incredible device! But then I quit my job, and had to give it away. I got an Axim as a going away present.

Must say I love it! It's just as stable as the 3970, but has a better screen (don't really notice the smaller screen), better batterylife and isn't big at all as some people claim!

I have a WLAN CF-card an the Socket BT-card, so the only thing I miss with the 3970 is the sexy formfactor. I use to compare the Axim to a BMW 5 series and the 3970 as the Mercedes SLK ;-)

Would love the iPaq 2215, but can't afford it yet, guess I'll have to settle with upgrading my Axim (ordered the 2003-upgrade yesterday).

PetiteFlower
06-28-2003, 05:09 PM
The 3970 was the first Pocket PC with 48 MB ROM, actually. Oh, and when did the Axim get Bluetooth? Maybe you're confusing the 3950 with the 3970. :-)

Oh like I can keep all those stupid numbers straight, sheesh. It's still not worth the money they were charging for it, period end of sentence. Like it all you want, I stand by my belief that it's a waste.

David Prahl
06-28-2003, 06:39 PM
I got an Axim as a going away present.

Must say I love it! It's just as stable as the 3970, but has a better screen (don't really notice the smaller screen), better batterylife and isn't big at all as some people claim!

I have a WLAN CF-card an the Socket BT-card, so the only thing I miss with the 3970 is the sexy formfactor. I use to compare the Axim to a BMW 5 series and the 3970 as the Mercedes SLK ;-)

Right from the lips (or fingertips) of a convert! The Axim X5 is just as stable as the 3970, has better battery life, and a better screen! Besides a metal case, iPaq logo, and BT (which is not that popular), what DOES the iPaq have that the Axim X5 400 does not?

Duddy
06-28-2003, 07:36 PM
<Super Saiyen Mode>
The iPAQ 2215 is the BEST Pocket PC on the market!!!
</Super Saiyen Mode>

I plan on buying a 2215 next week. I'll be upgrading from my Axim Advanced 0X

Cortex
06-28-2003, 07:43 PM
guys all of these suck unless you can call home on it!

T-MOBILE POCKET PC PHONE EDITION RULES!!!!

UNLIMITED INTERNET ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!!!

YEA, BABY! YEA!!! :hippy:

xoiph
06-28-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm surprised no one has defended the iPAQ 1910. I know were all sore that we can't upgrade to Windows Mobile, and there's no SDIO support, but the 1910 is still an awesome little pda. The new 1940 can beat the 3970 hands down :alfdance:

Pony99CA
06-28-2003, 08:53 PM
The Axim X5 is just as stable as the 3970, has better battery life, and a better screen! Besides a metal case, iPaq logo, and BT (which is not that popular), what DOES the iPaq have that the Axim X5 400 does not?
Absolutely nothing.

Oh, except for:

The best expandability in the industry via sleeves.
Consumer IR with built-in Nevo remote control software.
Built-in backup software.
The best software bundle in the industry.

As for Bluetooth not being "that popular", I'm not sure how you claim that. I see lots of people upset that Verizon phones don't have Bluetooth. Do you think that's just because they think Bluetooth sounds cool? :roll:

Besides, if you don't want Bluetooth, buy a 3955 and save money.

Steve

ombu
06-28-2003, 08:59 PM
The best PPC ever is the Jornada 568, why? BISS, period. 8)

Reply only if you agree, otherwise find me in the back yard. :twisted:

JonnoB
06-28-2003, 10:59 PM
:multi: I resent the fact that with the beautiful and powerful hp Jornada 568 that I was forced to select the other selection.

hear hear

dh
06-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Neither the Ipaq, Toshiba or Axim is yet the perfect PPC.

If the 2215 happened to have more memory and WiFi it might well be there. As it is, it can only share the top spot with the e750, with the edge probably going to the Tosh.

The lack of embedded wireless prevents the Axim from being perfect and the need for stupid great sleeves just to get a CF card on the 5xxx keeps this series from the top spot.

Thinkingmandavid
06-29-2003, 03:08 AM
The 2215 in my opinion is the bomb! I have been looking at it and I feel for the money it is a good choice. I think it looks great, will work in all kinds of environments such as work, home , college, blah blah. The dual slots is great for getting a lot of options in a pda without those stupid sleeves. I never liked those and thought it was crazy to buy those when the e740 came to market.
The size is great of the 2215. I wish it already had the wi fi, but like was stated earlier, you get a lot for the price even buying the wi fi card compared to the 55xx.
I never liked those Axims, the size is crazy. Size may matter but in pda's it is in reverse:) remember that :mrgreen: [/list]

Hyperluminal
06-29-2003, 03:08 AM
It's smaller than the Axim (not to mention a lot nicer to look at :lol: ), has dual slots, a 400MHz XScale, transflective screen, BT, and a company who will actually back up their product
So can you tell HP's 'fantastic' customer support to get to work on that PPC2003 for my 1910 the next time you talk to them :twisted:
I never said HP's support was fantastic, just that they'd generally back up their products, if not in upgrades than just in terms of support. I can't tell you how absolutely awful, and I'm not exaggerating, Dell's support has been to me. It's a long story, but if anyone wants to know, I'll tell it. Basically, I would never buy a Dell again unless I really had no choice.

HP, on the other hand, has generally been pretty good to me. Sorry to hear about your 1910 though...

davidspalding
06-29-2003, 03:24 AM
FWIW, I have a HP Omnibook 800 bought in 1998 ... a vintage 1996 machine ... and had to call HP support after the ice storm last December to get past corrupted password protection in BIOS. HP support was cordial, helpful, enthusiastic about staying on the line until I'd verified that the password had been cleared. I was impressed.

Pretty good for a 5 year old machine that I bought on clearance for $1000. So, not all HP support is disappointing. ,:)

jd4science
06-29-2003, 03:52 AM
I can definitely see where Hyperluminal is coming from. When I got my first Axim, it had the D-pad problem. I called tech support to get a replacement, and I got somebody from India I could barely understand. He told me that I needed the original shipping box, which I did not have. We went for at least 30 times (no exaggeration, sadly) saying that" You need this box very much." " Well, I don't have it, and can't get it." "well, I'm sorry, but you need to get it." "It was thrown away about a week ago, I can't get it." "Look, this box is important, and you need to get it."

Oi! That was the worst tech support I have ever had... :evil:

dh
06-29-2003, 04:15 AM
When I had a problem with my Axim, the support was just the opposite.

The tech support guy spoke good English (at least I can chat to these people about cricket and the total lack of good Indian food in the US, but I really don't like this movement of call centers overseas).

I had to go through the tech support script but it was soon agreed that my Axim had "gone bad" and I needed a replacement.

I had heard that Axims over 30 days old (mine was about four months) were replaced with refurbished ones. This was a concern because other than a problem with a stuck record button, mine was in perfect condition, had the new processor and I had installed the A02 upgrade.

You can imagine that I was very happy when the next day a brand new Axim with the PXA255 and the A03 ROM arrived. All I had to do was send the defective one back in the box that the replacement had shipped in.

Consider that Dell have been very good with ROM upgrades and are doing a good deal on the 03 software, now less than $25.00 with free shipping, I would say that support has been first class.

Having said that, I find the 2215 rather appealing but not enough to make me want to switch right now. I'm hoping that the Axim once upgraded will be fine for my purposes until I get to see what Dell has lined up for the future.

Janak Parekh
06-29-2003, 04:15 AM
I can definitely see where Hyperluminal is coming from. When I got my first Axim, it had the D-pad problem. I called tech support to get a replacement, and I got somebody from India I could barely understand. He told me that I needed the original shipping box, which I did not have. We went for at least 30 times (no exaggeration, sadly) saying that" You need this box very much." " Well, I don't have it, and can't get it." "well, I'm sorry, but you need to get it." "It was thrown away about a week ago, I can't get it." "Look, this box is important, and you need to get it."
In defense of Dell, HP also outsources overseas to clueless folk. I had a similar experience with HP as one roundtrip of my 3870 -- the guy couldn't understand me, he had no clue, it was terrible -- my 3870 was returned without anything done. Fortunately, the other times I sent my 3870 in for repair (I had sent it in a total of 3 consecutive times) the HP tech support people were reasonably clueful and courteous, and didn't sound outsourced.

--janak

ux4484
06-29-2003, 04:39 AM
Oh PLEASE.The price alone though makes me hate HP. If it was competatively priced with the Axim then you might make an argument to go for the Ipaq instead, but from where I sit, it would just be like flushing your money down the toilet.

On a personal purchase level, I agree 100%, but for business PDA solutions just now HP has much more to offer than Dell......Things should start to change when the new Dells come out.

On Dells' overseas service: Relpacement Axim #1.....they were clueless, by replacement Axim #3.......They were Pro's. I hope for there to be no replacement #4.

pez
06-29-2003, 04:58 AM
I had one issue ordering my Dell.. and it was that they automatically canceledd it and i had to re apply my coupon codes since they had expried by phone..

But I got the thing for 224 dollars.. a 400mhz.. HOW THE HECK CAN YOU BEAT THAT!! :)

Ive been in love with it since, I have had 0 Problems.. LITERALLY 0!

My D-Pad is Fine, my sound is great, my screen is great.

My dad had a ipaq 3600 series.. And It lasted him a good 2 years.. It was a great machine for him. He then started having problems with his screen flipping reverse on him every once in a while when he touched it. So he ended up going back to Best Buy, and arguing with the people saying the 3600 was the best pocket pc (and i think one of the only) on the market back when he got it.. and demanded a new one

*He bought one of those service plans*

They then talked it over and replaced it with a 5450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <======

I was dumbfounded, but hes enjoying it thouroughly.. he had some trouble though setting up his wifi..

iPAQ = Good for rich business men

Dell = Good for college students, home type people.

szamot
06-29-2003, 07:18 AM
Yes now about that wholes service thing, I owned the 3850 send it out about 6 times for fried and misbehaving motherboard, and bad screen and a couple of other things. I also owned X5 which looked like a colander after a couple of months with burned out pixels all over the damn screen. I must say I liked them both but Compaq service was clueless, once they attempted to convince me that the sporadic soft reset is normal and happens all the time while playing Diamond Mine or using a Calendar, yes 5-8 “screen resets” are normal. Finally I gave up on it and asked for a replacement, I was quickly offered 3950 but ended up getting 5450 since it was the same price as I paid for the 3850. Thank you HP for that, except my shinny new 5450 arrived and the stylus falls out automatically. Yes I don’t get to have one of those I jump-up-to-serve-you styluses, I tilt it or shake it out. My question is – where is the quality control on this $1000.00 CDN device? So I have to send it out again. X5 – I like what Dell does, they just replace your broken device which is what I got, and I got the better processor one at that. GO DELL GO. The question then is not who is better and why and who has more clueless service and why but Why do these things fail so much to begin with? Why, why, why?

pez
06-29-2003, 07:41 AM
You just have horrid luck man

lol

I mean bad bad luck..

But I do like your stylust situation I found it humorous but I do feel your pain :cry: So thanks for the laugh and cry.

Hyperluminal
06-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Well, about Compaq service... A few years before the merger, I had a Compaq notebook. It generally worked pretty well, but it had an annoying tendency to have something go wrong when we put it on our rear-projection TV. That only happened twice, the first time it corrupted my hard drive, and the second time someone else did it (who didn't know about the first time) and my screen mysteriousy reset to 640x480 at 16 colors. Anyway, the first time, I called Compaq and told them about the problem, and asked them if there was anything I could do. Do you know what they told me? They said that that happened because I had filled up my hard drive too much! That they don't recommend you install new OSs or even new software beyond what they give you, and if you do this will happen! Needless to say, I was not too pleased with their service and ended up formatting my hard drive.

After the merger, it's been a lot better, at least for me. The few times I've had to call HP for support for my 3835, they were knowledgeable, friendly, and actually treated me like I wasn't a complete idiot. The last time I called HP, I got an Indian rep, but unlike the Indian people who work for Dell (who often hardly speak English, and are inept when it comes to support), this rep spoke English well, and was knowledgeable. I have no complaints...

David Prahl
06-29-2003, 05:10 PM
who ruined the poll?!?

The Axim was almost even with the iPaq last night, and now it's suddenly WAY behind...

some sick iPaq fanatic is in our presence! :evil:

Jacob
06-29-2003, 05:18 PM
who ruined the poll?!?

The Axim was almost even with the iPaq last night, and now it's suddenly WAY behind...

some sick iPaq fanatic is in our presence! :evil:

Sore loser :razz:

PetiteFlower
06-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Well there are about 800 different Ipaqs and they have been out for several years while there's only 2 axims and they have been out for less then 1 year. So obviously there are going to be more Ipaq users. Doesn't mean they're right.

I had good experience with Dell Support. I think it's kind of the luck of the draw when dealing with any company's support. "Can I talk to your supervisor" is a good phrase to keep in mind.

Jeff Song
06-29-2003, 11:14 PM
It seems as if the price argument about ipaq vs dell is no longer valid. Look at the prices of the Dells when they first came out-$350. Now lets look at the H2215-$399. However, the ipaq also incorporates Bluetooth and a way smaller footprint-worth the extra $50 in my opinion. Having owned both concurrently, I can say that the Axim is a lot slower, a lot bigger, it has a bad screen compared to the ipaq, and crashes more often.

Enderet
06-30-2003, 01:20 AM
Sheesh I cant believe this thread is still getting new posts....

Thinkingman
06-30-2003, 06:38 AM
I remember going to the mall and seeing the Axim at the Dell kiosk. But it didnt really give me the desire to buy it. I know it is cheaper but it just didnt have the look nor feel that I was lookin for:)
I really like the ipaqs. The 2215 has given me the fever to buy one, I am just not sure if I want to really spend the money. "The perfect pda"... I just dont think it exists. :roll:

Thinkingmandavid
06-30-2003, 06:42 AM
I am not much for dell personally. I am of course not putting dell down. I am pro Fujitsu on laptops, and on the ppc i tend to lean towards the ipaq a bit. the toshibs square i am not much for. I to would like to have a 2215. as for the perfect pda, i agree, i just dont think there is sucha thing. there is always something i want, or some combination on the pda i want that they dont have or offer. I wish for more screen size, yet am not asking for a brick. So like most things in life it is give and take. I wish i could give my order and get it made to order just for me... but then again, the cost$$$$$$$$

nosmohtac
06-30-2003, 06:48 AM
I am not much for dell personally. I am of course not putting dell down. I am pro Fujitsu on laptops, and on the ppc i tend to lean towards the ipaq a bit. the toshibs square i am not much for. I to would like to have a 2215. as for the perfect pda, i agree, i just dont think there is sucha thing. there is always something i want, or some combination on the pda i want that they dont have or offer. I wish for more screen size, yet am not asking for a brick. So like most things in life it is give and take. I wish i could give my order and get it made to order just for me... but then again, the cost$$$$$$$$

I agree, The almost perfect PDA would be the 55xx with a built in CF slot.
I have seen people argue that there isn't room for this addition and still retain the ability to use the sleeves. I say BAHH. If you look at the evolution of the ipaq since it's inception, they have managed to add an SDIO slot, a Bluetooth radio, and a Wifi Radio, and they still are able to use the sleeves.

I would love to have a 55xx w/built in CF, and then if I wanted extra battery life I could buy a PC expansion pack plus, and have more slots than any other PDA and not have to use any of them up with an SD bluetooth card or a CF Wifi card.

Would this be considered a brick? Probably, by many people's standards, but as you said, David, there is give and take, and I like the slightly larger screen size of the ipaq.

pez
06-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Ill give dell 1 big cookie for 1 thing..

They exploded onto the PPC scene like no other, even with all that competition out there..

dh
06-30-2003, 11:10 AM
If the 55xx did have a CF port I would order one today.
I will not buy a device with SD only.
The 2215 would be more tempting if it had WiFi and more memory.

Jerry Raia
06-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Sheesh I cant believe this thread is still getting new posts....

I forgot the subject.

TopDog
06-30-2003, 05:55 PM
compared to the ipaq, and crashes more often.I can understand your arguments about price, size and bluetooth, but how can you say that the Dell crashes more? Have any facts to back that up?

I've used almost every device Compaq delivered up to the h5450, and must say that the Axim I have now beats them all when it comes to being stable!

That said, I think my next PPC will be a h1940, because I no longer see the need of a CF-slot (today I use it mainly for bluetooth) and want a smaller device to fit my wonderful Pocketop keyboard.

Just need to see a good SD-WLAN-cards first... and need some more money ;-)

rzanology
07-08-2003, 02:27 PM
now that we've all had our say....the fact still remains....the 3970 is still the most rock solid and reliable ppc on the market....AND ITS STILL SEXY!!!!!!

PetiteFlower
07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
And you're still a loser :roll:

aroma
07-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Oh good grief! Will this thread ever die? :2gunfire:

(Kind of an ironic post, since I just bounced the thread back to the top, huh?)

jd4science
07-09-2003, 01:08 AM
now that we've all had our say....the fact still remains....the 3970 is still the most rock solid and reliable ppc on the market....AND ITS STILL SEXY!!!!!!

Maybe I'm odd, but I have a hard time calling a piece of technology "SEXY!!!!!!." :) :?

Thinkingmandavid
07-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Maybe there is something sexy about the silver and how sleek some of them look :lol:
I am looking at the Samsung that will be coming about with a keyboard, that may be sexy as well, the 9290 had hopes and dreams but it turned out to be tooooooo big! The 2215 is a welcome, but I still wish for more screen real estate. :D

PetiteFlower
07-09-2003, 01:53 AM
I had to rename my ppc after an ActiveSync incident and I named it Sexy_Axim :)

Mithrankittycat
07-09-2003, 08:45 AM
I'm the sad owner of a Toshiba e310 with poor sound quality and poor upgrade support. It looks like there's an iPAQ for everyone, with so many models =._.=

rzanology
07-10-2003, 02:35 PM
And you're still a loser :roll:

Please don't hate me beacuse you own an axim...its not too late to ebay it.

xoiph
07-10-2003, 07:00 PM
the 3970 is still the most rock solid and reliable ppc on the market....AND ITS STILL SEXY!!!!!!

The sexiest PPC in existance is the iPAQ 19xx!

Maybe I'm odd, but I have a hard time calling a piece of technology "SEXY!!!!!!."

Dude, you are odd, technology can totally be sexy! :ladysman:

etalianstallion
07-10-2003, 10:23 PM

fact or just your opinion? :roll:

PetiteFlower
07-11-2003, 06:17 AM
I don't think he knows the difference.

I love my Axim and I hate Ipaqs with a passion. That doesn't mean that I'm going to claim that it's a FACT that the Axim is the best PDA in existence and that anyone who owns anything else should sell it and buy an Axim immediately or else they will regret it forever. Only losers would do that. It's not a competition; you buy what you like and I'll buy what I like and there's no need to insult anyone else's choice.

Now can this thread please die!

Kaber
07-11-2003, 06:51 AM
I don't hate any PDAs. But I really lov3 my two iPAQs.

A lot.

For real.

Pony99CA
07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
I don't think he knows the difference.

I love my Axim and I hate Ipaqs with a passion. That doesn't mean that I'm going to claim that it's a FACT that the Axim is the best PDA in existence and that anyone who owns anything else should sell it and buy an Axim immediately or else they will regret it forever. Only losers would do that. It's not a competition; you buy what you like and I'll buy what I like and there's no need to insult anyone else's choice.

Yes, but I assume he is either trying to be funny or a troll. PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS! :twak:

Steve