View Full Version : Install software for other PPC using my computer

PWU
06-27-2003, 02:50 AM
Does anybody know if I can install software onto my wife's PPC using my Activesync? We do not share the same computer, but there are couple software she wants so I was thinking of using my activesync but turn off all the sync activity and install software onto her PPC. Would this work? Will this effect my PPC? BTW, we have the same PPC.

Thanks
Peter

stitics
06-27-2003, 04:19 AM
With my limited knowledge of these things, I believe that should work fine...however, the textbook answer would also include the mention that you should ethically (and probably legally) purchase another license for any of this software that might be commercial.

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 04:22 AM
I don't think this will work. You should just buy her copies of the software she likes...

Steve

PWU
06-27-2003, 12:14 PM
All the software I got are freeware, Just thought this might be easier than email them to her work computer.
Please understand this HAS nothing to do with license issue, I do not buy any software for my PCC.

So would it work?? or should I have to email them to her work computer?

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 12:20 PM
In the long run, I think it's easier to just email them to her. Plus, you would really hate yourself if for some reason you broke ActiveSync (something that is really easy to do)... :wink:

Steve

Pony99CA
06-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I don't think this will work.
Why won't it work? If she doesn't have a partnership with his machine, can't she just install the software as a Guest? No syncing would be done, so everything should be OK.

Steve

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Hmmm...

Damn you Pony!!! :wink:

I had to try. I removed my partnership, used ForceGuest, and tried to install an app...

It worked...

So, bottom line PWU: go for it...

Steve

Sven Johannsen
06-28-2003, 04:47 AM
Absolutely right. You can attach the second PPC as a Guest, go to Add/Remove programs and check mark the programs you want installed on the Guest. All the software you have installed will show up in Add/Remove programs. The things that are already installed on the connected PPC will have a check. Those that are not, aren't checked.

(Those that are grayed out and checked are installed on the PPC, but the installation package is not on the PC. It was installed from some other PC, or you said remove from the PC at some time, but didn't delete from the PPC)

I find it easier just to create a partnership for the wife's PPC and uncheck all the sync stuff. It saves going through the new partnership, select Guest rigamarol.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 04:57 AM
I find it easier just to create a partnership for the wife's PPC and uncheck all the sync stuff. It saves going through the new partnership, select Guest rigamarol.
Even simpler: when you get a new partnership screen, hit Cancel. ActiveSync will set up the connection as Guest right then and there. (Mind you, if you do this frequently, you might indeed want to set up the partnership... on the other hand, I avoid doing it because of the fact that it eats up one of the two partnership slots.)

And yes, I can also confirm this works perfectly fine. I've done it numerous times for several family members. :D

--janak

Pony99CA
06-28-2003, 09:11 AM
I had to try. I removed my partnership, used ForceGuest, and tried to install an app...
Why would you remove your partnership? ActiveSync should screw up and connect you as a Guest 1 in 3 connections. :rotfl: (Actually, I don't think I've been getting the Guest error as much [if at all] since I upgraded to ActiveSync 3.7, but I never let facts interfere with a good joke.)

Steve

PWU
06-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Thank you all for your help, I have installed all the software for her last night using the guest partnership...

thanks again!
Peter