View Full Version : It's June 26th . . .

piperpilot
06-26-2003, 01:23 PM
. . . and still no update on the HP web site about the WM2003 upgrade. So much for their promises. :evil:

Mark R Penn
06-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Where are HP based? Isn't it only early morning in some parts of the States?

I'm not expecting anything to be up until lunchtime (their lunchtime) at the VERY earliest.

piperpilot
06-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Yes, but don't they realize that the East Coast makes this country run :wink:

Mark R Penn
06-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Well, think yourself lucky - it's been June 26th for 13 hours 35 minutes where I am, and I suspect even when it is up, it'll be for the US only :cry:

baggins
06-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Well, I just saw at another thread here on pocketpcthoughts, that someone had spoken on the phone with an HP rep, saying that it's going to be postponed till the 7th of July, and that the web-site will be updated with this info soon.

I really don't hope that it's true. :|

Bags@5450

thanos255
06-26-2003, 04:25 PM
I think everyone needs to chill out....they are not even at work yet, most likely.

Geez.... I want it as fast as everyone else, but posting comments like the above ones really make me hope they wait till tommorow to release news.... :devilboy:

socrguy74
06-26-2003, 04:53 PM
And some of us have patiently waited long enough for HP to make good on fixing a buggy product. They say June 26th, I want information on June 26th. It's almost NOON on June 26th, and still no update.

Dell, on the other hand, has posted an update purchase link. I need to keep up with the guy that works in my office who owns an Axim....

You're making me look bad, HP!!!!

:evil:

Janak Parekh
06-26-2003, 05:14 PM
And some of us have patiently waited long enough for HP to make good on fixing a buggy product. They say June 26th, I want information on June 26th. It's almost NOON on June 26th, and still no update.
Given my experience with the Pocket PC 2002 upgrade for the 3600 iPAQs, I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they get lagged by a few days. HP was the most notorious of all the OEMs for allowing release dates for ROM updates to slip. On the other hand, I'd rather see it slip and be a quality release. ;)

--janak

tmulli
06-26-2003, 05:28 PM
I agree with Janak. I would rather wait for HP to release a quality product than get a buggy one right away. Besides, I seem to recall that HP did the same thing with the 3600 series upgrades to PPC2002, they set a date, then pushed it back, then pushed it back again, and then after finally ordering the upgrade, there was a backlog there as well. It is what it is.

piperpilot
06-26-2003, 06:07 PM
It's 1:00 PM on the East Coast. They've had plenty of time to sip their lattes and still nothing!

CoreyJF
06-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Has anyone on here actually called HP?

piperpilot
06-26-2003, 06:26 PM
I would but I'm trying to populate the "Legal Issues" area of my association's new web site, which is set to launch on Monday. Too many other people are trying to do the same thing at the same time and uploading content is woefully slow :. I don't need the added frustration of dealing with HP today.

jeremyweisser
06-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Those lazy bums. First I cannot use my 5455 with my Wireless LAN bcs it is a 54g and they delay the release of a WLAN fix for what seems like forever. Now this, this is ridiculous.
Dell is new at this and they already have the order forms for PPC 2003 up and ready for orders.
Come on already HP, get your game together.

CoreyJF
06-26-2003, 06:41 PM
I agree. I was first to say lets wait and see what they have up on the 26th. I have to say I am disapointed in HP right now. On eof the first rules of good buisness is do not make promises you can not deliver. If you set a deadline, do you best to meet it. If you can't, come out and say it. Don't leave your site unupdated on the 26th saying to check back on the 26th...

sting0r
06-26-2003, 06:42 PM
I called HP and the rep said they have been getting calls, but there is nothing they can do unitl their internal website gets updated so they can take orders...... Oh well, I wanted to be first on list..........

piperpilot
06-26-2003, 06:44 PM
That's just it. I wouldn't be so frustrated with them if they at least had said SOMETHING this morning, even if it is only that it would take them longer to make the upgrade available.

CoreyJF
06-26-2003, 06:45 PM
I called HP and the rep said they have been getting calls, but there is nothing they can do unitl their internal website gets updated so they can take orders...... Oh well, I wanted to be first on list..........

Did they say it was going to be availible today? Or are the rummors of 7/7/03 true?

sting0r
06-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Nope, she just said she has no further info and basically told me to keep checking the website....

rberry88
06-26-2003, 07:57 PM
I called HP and asked the tech support rep (was calling about something else) and he said he would e-mail me the information. Well, after I got off the phone I went and checked my e-mail and he simply sent me a link to the upgrade page that says "check back June 26". Thanks hp.

rberry88 :evil:

sting0r
06-26-2003, 08:14 PM
I called HP and asked the tech support rep (was calling about something else) and he said he would e-mail me the information. Well, after I got off the phone I went and checked my e-mail and he simply sent me a link to the upgrade page that says "check back June 26". Thanks hp.

rberry88 :evil:

LOL, that figures.....

piperpilot
06-26-2003, 08:33 PM
It's 3:30 Eastern and still nothing. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot, it's lunch time on the left coast. How silly of me to think they might miss an avacado and sprout sandwich on organic bread to inform us about the WM 2003 update :!:

entropy1980
06-26-2003, 08:56 PM
It's 3:30 Eastern and still nothing. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot, it's lunch time on the left coast. How silly of me to think they might miss an avacado and sprout sandwich on organic bread to inform us about the WM 2003 update :!:
Hey I hate avacados and I am a left coaster!!! :idontthinkso:

portus
06-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Get yourself some sleep while they are chewing on the sandwiches ...

CoreyJF
06-26-2003, 09:50 PM
It is almost 2pm out there. If they ment C.O.B THEN SAY C.O.B.

piperpilot
06-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I gave up waiting for the update yesterday and went home. When I got to the office this morning, sure enough, the update info is there, BUT . . . when I click to purchase the upgrade, it sends me to the device ordering page where there is no mention whatsoever about the upgrade! If they can't get this one small thing right, it kinda makes you wonder about the complex (and expensive) technology they produce. The whole thing makes me wish that I wasn't such an "early adopter"--to borrow a marketing phrase--when it comes to PPCs.

socrguy74
06-27-2003, 01:34 PM
:soapbox:
OK. If I say to my boss that I am going to have something done by a certain date, I need to have proof of the completion of that task BY THE DAY THAT I PROMISED.

It is now June 27th. And following the link for the pocket pc upgrade (http://www.hp.com/sbso/special/ppc_upgrade.html)sends you on a wild goose chase? This is just bad business. People want to BUY SOMETHING FROM YOU HP!!! MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO BUY SOMETHING FROM YOU WHEN YOU PROMISED!!!!!!
:frusty:

piperpilot
06-27-2003, 01:40 PM
YOU ARE SO RIGHT, socrguy74! And while we're on our respective soap boxes, I have tried several times in the past to buy accessories from HP's web site. Each time, I get one sort of error message or another at the very last stage of the purchase process that prevents the transaction from going through. It seems to me that these people have some serious issues with customer service.

socrguy74
06-27-2003, 02:32 PM
I just called HP to ask about the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade and the rep told me to go through the Microsoft site (http://www.ppcupgrade.com). He said that the HP link (http://www.hp.com/sbso/special/ppc_upgrade.html) mentioned above will not be up for a couple of days, and that we should not hope for it to be up anytime soon. :!:

Gee thanks...

Thanks for the empty promises.

Woo-hoo. I feel like such a loved customer.

socrguy74
06-27-2003, 02:39 PM
FYI:

You can only order through the Microsoft site if you have purchased your iPaq within the cutoff dates. Meanwhile...those of us who purchased our 5455's in March are left out in the cold with a device that no longer holds a connection to the PC while it's in the cradle, turns on at random times, and is not running an operating system optimized for the processor "inside".

:microwave:

I'm feelin' the love...feelin' the love.

I hope my co-worker chokes on his Dell Axim operating system upgrade...

piperpilot
06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
I have only one thing to say to HP. Too bad I can't say it in a public forum. Perhaps a visual representation will do:

!@#$%^&* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I feel better now.

Janak Parekh
06-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Part of the problem here is that HP historically did not sell direct. They always went through distributors and retailers in the past, and it shows, compared to Dell, who has always specialized in direct marketing.

Unfortunately, this is not something fixable overnight. If you really want to make your voice heard, write a letter to the president of HP. Chances are Carly won't read it, but someone fairly high up will.

--janak

CoreyJF
06-27-2003, 08:23 PM
First thing I did after I got off the phone with HP. Also suggested she took a look at some the dissusion forums such as thius one if she wanted to get a grasp on what her customer base was currently thinking

Dave Beauvais
06-27-2003, 10:59 PM
Perhaps it's just me, but why is this such a big deal for everyone? The upgrade will eventually be released; pestering HP continuously might only result in the upgrade being released before it's ready just to shut up all the annoying customers. The only thing that would do is give everyone something else to bitch about.

I agree that the misinformation and lack of any informed response from anyone at HP is discouraging, but just be patient and trust that we'll all eventually get our upgrade. Besides, the longer we wait, the more time we'll have for hardware vendors to develop and test drivers and for software developers to work out any PPC 2003 bugs they may have.

--Dave

Jerry Raia
06-28-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree, if ya get the thing and half your programs dont work then what?
Better to let the eager ones install it first and blow up thier machines.
Then we can read about it here. :D

socrguy74
06-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Perhaps it's just me, but why is this such a big deal for everyone?

Why is this a big deal? Because we were told one thing, and HP didn't deliver. You want to purchase an update for your PPC, and you can't. You try to purchase it, and it sends you to bumble-futz url-land. Nothing. No info. Thanks.

Anyway, this is something I found on HP forums:

http://h50043.www5.hp.com/ppc2003/nz/welcome.html

And we will continue to wait. But I have a question for HP, since you told us to "check back on June 26th"...does that mean that mid July actually means mid August? I dunno, because I don't have my official HP time-decoder ring with me today.... :wink:

socrguy74
06-30-2003, 01:53 PM
And...

The updates are available through the "guaranteed" upgrade program for 5450s purchased since May-whatever...why are they not available for iPaqs purchase before then?

hmm?

Why do we (the longer...more faithful customers) have to wait?

:frusty:

piperpilot
06-30-2003, 01:56 PM
That's right. We are essentially being punished for shelling out $700 months earlier than others. So much for customer service.