View Full Version : Just curious...

cab124
06-25-2003, 04:38 PM
I am just curious to know how many people are using screen protectors? I just bought a new iPaq 2215.......should I use a protection or have unsafe contact with my stylus? :?

Chris Spera
06-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Use a screen protector. Contact Leonard at Pocket PC Techs. Their WriteShield is the best one around in my opinion...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 04:50 PM
As long as you know everywhere your stylus has been, and it hasn't been anywhere dirty, many people feel you don't need one...

I will admit to being paranoid, but I use one. I have a WriteShield. I actually prefer that writing texture over the bare screen. Basically, I want to be able to use my finger/fingernail at times, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that on a bare screen.

Sunnyone
06-25-2003, 05:15 PM
And so far it's unanimous! I agree with Chris and Kati! WriteShields are the best! I've had one of them on now for about 5 months. I keep cleaning it and it looks great. It lasts and lasts and lasts....

dh
06-25-2003, 05:32 PM
WriteShields here as well. They are rather expensive but great quality.
Got my Axim early March and use it a lot every day. Now on second Axim but the original Writeshield is as good as new.

Like Katie says it's a better feel than writing straight on the screen and they really reduce glare as well.

cab124
06-25-2003, 05:35 PM
I appreciate the input. I will pick up some writeshields asap!!

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Moved this to Just Chattin'... it applies to more than iPAQs. ;)

My 2 cents, just for a counterpoint: I dislike screen protectors. I'm willing to work with the screen itself. I wipe my PDAs screen with a damp cloth nearly every day, and I make sure there's no dirt on the stylus. They do eventually get scratched a little bit towards the end of their life, but I like the "naked" feel and look. But, quite frankly, to each their own. :)

--janak

Enderet
06-25-2003, 05:47 PM
:? Keep in mind that a screen with less scratches might be worth more when you are trying to sell it later on(if you ever decide to do so) :lol:

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 05:59 PM
:? Keep in mind that a screen with less scratches might be worth more when you are trying to sell it later on(if you ever decide to do so) :lol:
Nah. I use my PDAs heavily. They're not going to have much resale value once I'm done. You want a Palm III? I have one... :lol:

--janak

rberry88
06-25-2003, 06:15 PM
I'm in the 'no protector' category. I like the feel and look of my IPAQ screen when NAKED. It just looks and feels cooler to me. Plus it is very hot outside now, how would you like to have a blanket covering you in this swealtering heat??!

rberry88 :hippy:

dh
06-25-2003, 06:19 PM
........ but I like the "naked" feel and look.....

Me too Janak, just not on my PPC. :jester:

OK, back to Ed's webcast.

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 06:23 PM
I'd be in trouble without screen protectors. I use NuShields and am still on my first one, even though it came in a pack of 2 or 3. It was very easy to install, and it's easy to remove if I want to clean it.

I can't seem to own anything without scratching/scuffing it, so screen protectors are an absolute must for me. Plus, you never know when your stylus is going to pick up a little piece of grit that can scratch your screen. (Or when you're going to use a pen on your screen by accident, like I did :oops: )

ntractv
06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
I would recommend WriteShields as well. But, I have to admit, I removed mine about two months ago and realized I really loved the look of my 3835 bare, so now, like Janek, I make it a habit to keep the screen and stylus clean. Two months, no scratches yet.

PetiteFlower
06-25-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm in the Write Shields camp too. I used it naked for a while, and though the screen was a SMALL bit brighter and nicer to look at, I got scratches on it, and it was CONSTANTLY smudged. With the WS on, it feels better to write on, it doesn't get smudged if I use my finger on it, and I see a big wear spot in the middle Letter Recognizer area that would be on my screen instead of my screen protector if I was using it naked. Plus I was always paranoid about putting it in my purse because of scratches. There's also less glare with it on.

Enderet
06-25-2003, 08:15 PM
(Or when you're going to use a pen on your screen by accident, like I did :oops: )

Hahaha... I had never heard of someone doing this :rotfl:

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm in the Write Shields camp too. I used it naked for a while, and though the screen was a SMALL bit brighter and nicer to look at, I got scratches on it, and it was CONSTANTLY smudged. With the WS on, it feels better to write on, it doesn't get smudged if I use my finger on it, and I see a big wear spot in the middle Letter Recognizer area that would be on my screen instead of my screen protector if I was using it naked. Plus I was always paranoid about putting it in my purse because of scratches. There's also less glare with it on.
I don't have any wear marks on my Write Shields at all. And I second the smudges issue. MUCH less smudge potential than the bare screen.

maximus
06-26-2003, 03:08 AM
Am I the only one that use Dell's screen protector ?
Bought the axim and got 3 extra styluses and 12 sceren protectors for free ..

I wish they gave me an extra 3400 mAH battery too. That will be really nice. :D

PetiteFlower
06-26-2003, 04:49 AM
I have a really heavy hand when I write, that's probably why I have a wear mark. It's not bad enough that I'd want to replace it at this point though. I've had it about 3 months I think.

Pony99CA
06-26-2003, 06:24 AM
I played the game Emerald Hunt so much on my Handheld PC that I cracked the screen. When I got my first iPAQ, I bought some screen protectors because of that. That was a good thing, because I got that game's author to create a Pocket PC version of Emerald Hunt.

For details about that game, and my cracked screen, see the review on my Web site (http://www.svpocketpc.com/reviews/emeraldhunt/EmeraldHunt.html).

Steve

Thinkingmandavid
06-26-2003, 06:35 AM
My very first pda was an IBM3c/C3... whatever. anyway, I ended up scratching the screen on the top right. From then on it was a pain in " ", so I recommend using one for that reason. I had a difficult time reading that area and sometimes scrolling isnt an option or possible.
ON the flip side, I dont use one :wink:
I to like the "naked" feel that seems to be going around here..:)
On the blanket on a hot day post, mmmmmmm, do you like to personify your ppc??? :|

maximus
06-26-2003, 07:43 AM
personify in what way ?

madbart
06-26-2003, 11:31 AM
As much as i hate them i really have no option as i have three young boys who grab my 5450 at any chance they get.

I thought being a new unit that i should install one on the first day and as of last night i will never go without one again.

My 3 yo son grabbed the unit whilst i was on the dunny and proceeded to write all over the screen with a ball point pen!

When i came out my wife approched me with it behind her back and said "now don't get to upset" and then bought out a very damaged screen! She thought i was going to have a heart attack as she asked how much it was going to cost to be repaired.

I put on a bit of an act and looked really dejected and then pulled the screen protector off and said "about $2.00".

Let me tell you that i had one very relieved wife! :lol: :lol:

maximus
06-26-2003, 12:19 PM
I have a really heavy hand when I write, that's probably why I have a wear mark. It's not bad enough that I'd want to replace it at this point though. I've had it about 3 months I think.

I definitely have to use a screen protector. This is because I am currently hooked by a puuzzle of pipes game ... and it requires a lot of tapp+dragging. and you have to do it fast. I dont think I even want to play this game if I dont have screen protector installed. :D

Pony99CA
06-28-2003, 06:27 AM
My 3 yo son grabbed the unit whilst i was on the dunny and proceeded to write all over the screen with a ball point pen!
OK, what is the "dunny"? The telephone, the toilet, something else? And, whatever it is, why is it called "dunny"?

Steve

PetiteFlower
06-28-2003, 06:30 AM
I'll guess bathroom :)

xoiph
06-28-2003, 07:06 AM
I swear by my screen protectors. As soon as I get a new PPC, right after peeling off the "please install activesync" sticker, I apply a new screen protector. Although I do like the naked screen, I'd much rather use a protector and not have to worry about having scratches later on. It's also good if you have a habit of using your finger instead of the stylus :wink:

madbart
06-28-2003, 07:37 AM
In AUST "dunny" is what we call the Sh#thouse or more commonly called the toilet! :oops:

dean_shan
06-28-2003, 08:10 AM
I don't use a pertector at all. There are wear patterns in high use areas (ie start, (X), etc). But that came with a lot of use over the course of a year.

nosmohtac
06-28-2003, 08:15 AM
I've tried 4 different types of screen protectors, and by far Write Shields are the best. That said, I too like the look of my 3970 without it on. I keep my last WS on a credit card, for when I play those addictive games.
I just peel it off the credit card and apply it to the screen for those games that require a lot of tapping and dragging.

This is another great thing about the WS. They are very easy to remove and reapply with very few (if any bubbles). If you get dust behind it or small lint particles, it is very easy to clean off by laying it sticky side up and putting overlapping strips of scotch tape over it and peeling it back off. I also have made a very scratched up WS look almost as good as new by using a good automobile swirl remover.

Very sturdy screen protectors.

Jerry Raia
06-29-2003, 08:53 AM
On the other hand if you buy a new PDA once a year, youll always have a new screen :mrgreen:

madbart
06-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Lasher

On the other hand if you buy a new PDA once a year, youll always have a new screen

They are sure a whole lot easier to sell if the screen is in perfect condition.
My 3780 that i just sold was 18 months old and never had a protector on it and was scratched noticably in the bottom portion of the screen.

The one problem that i find in using them is that it is alot harder to use the hand writing function

Jerry Raia
06-29-2003, 05:02 PM
The one problem that i find in using them is that it is alot harder to use the hand writing function

I hadnt thought of that. good point.

Thinkingmandavid
06-30-2003, 06:56 AM
rberry88 said[I'm in the 'no protector' category. I like the feel and look of my IPAQ screen when NAKED. It just looks and feels cooler to me. Plus it is very hot outside now, how would you like to have a blanket covering you in this swealtering heat??!]

That is what I was talking about when I said about personifying the ppc:)[/quote]

pROvIs
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
just bought a WS Deluxe for my new 2210 told them Christopher Spera reffered me.

tmulli
07-01-2003, 03:35 AM
for me handwriting recognition is actually better with a write shield on the screen. I think because I'm less afraid to push harder on the screen.

RobertM
07-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Or you could just simply buy your Pocket PC at somewhere like Comp USA and get the in store warranty. That way, you don't need to worry about using a screen protector. Just take it back before two years is up, tell them it is a little scratched, and they will either give you a new one or you can upgrade and pay a little more for the newest model. I have done this twice now.. Works every time. :D

Robert

pROvIs
07-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Cool :) because i mentioned PPC Thoughts i got 10 percent off :) :)