View Full Version : SD Card Problem: Can't change/erase folders

tregnier
06-25-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm not quite sure what forum this belongs in, but here goes. I have an iPaq 3955 with a 128mb SD card. I was restoring a file from my backup file on the SD card and something went amiss with the backup, creating a log file, etc. When I went back to check on something, I noticed that five of the file folders on my SD card were wierd. I have folders named "A<B<C<D<E" and "1<2<3<4<5<" and other ASCII characters (boxes, /\*:.

The properties are also screwy: no bits, fictitious dates, no file types, etc. However, the memory shown remaining on the card is what it was prior to these changes, i.e. the card shows almost full on my spb meter.

I have tried to erase the folders using Explorer/Advanced Explorer and the system won't let me. I have tried to rename the folders, but again the system won't let me. I want to wait until I get Windows Mobile whatever before I do a hard reset, but even this may not help me with an SD card.

Long story so far, but here's what I want to do. I need to erase these folders from my SD card and then I can reload the files from the desktop. How can I do this? Explorer and Advanced Explorer won't let me do it. Is there a way to "re-format" and SD card? Is my SD card fried? This Enquiring Mind needs help!

Thanks in advance! :cry:

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Yes, you can reformat an SD card, and that sounds like the best bet to counter the corruption you're experiencing. I suggest you do it from the desktop if you have an SD reader. Otherwise, there's Flash Format (http://www.cnetx.com/format/).

--janak

tregnier
06-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Janek was right on. He 'da man!