View Full Version : iPaq/Pocket Backup Q?

tmulli
06-25-2003, 05:00 AM
With the iPaq Backup/Pocket Backup software, is it possible to create a backup image of my setup, then update my iPaq to EUU3 and then restore from that backup into the new rom (since everything is wiped)? It's probably a big mess waiting to happen, but just wanted to double check. Anything I can do to keep from having to reinstall everything... :idontthinkso:

WyattEarp
06-25-2003, 05:25 AM
I feel your pain, but it's best to just restore your PIM stuff & documents and reinstall your programs from scratch. You will run into problems restoring programs configured for a different EUU version.

tmulli
06-25-2003, 01:51 PM
yeah, i know. I was just hoping someone out there had some magical solution up their sleeve. It really doesn't take that long to install my programs anyway...[/i]

tmulli
06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
So then the next questions is, kinda irrelevant to update to EUU3 and go thru all that hassle or program re-installation if I will be upgrading to PPC2003, huh? :silly:

PetiteFlower
06-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, why go through 2 upgrades when 1 will do?

Janak Parekh
06-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Wait a second. I may be missing something here, but I don't think you need to hard reset your device after a EUU. I'm pretty sure I had installed EUU3 on my 3870 and just went on living after that. In fact, the instructions with the EUU3 never mention anything about a forced hard reset -- just that you can't use old backups, and you should make sure you have synced up your data just in case something goes wrong.

Note that a full ROM upgrade is a different matter entirely...

--janak

WyattEarp
06-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Wait a second. I may be missing something here, but I don't think you need to hard reset your device after a EUU. I'm pretty sure I had installed EUU3 on my 3870 and just went on living after that. In fact, the instructions with the EUU3 never mention anything about a forced hard reset -- just that you can't use old backups, and you should make sure you have synced up your data just in case something goes wrong.

Note that a full ROM upgrade is a different matter entirely...

--janak

It's that very reason I keep all my files on a CF card. These PPC manufacturers sometimes leave things out and instructions form one manufacturer to another are different. I always hardreset after installing an EUU just to be safe.

Janak Parekh
06-28-2003, 05:22 PM
It's that very reason I keep all my files on a CF card. These PPC manufacturers sometimes leave things out and instructions form one manufacturer to another are different. I always hardreset after installing an EUU just to be safe.
It never hurts to be safe, although note that the bundled EUU instructions are from Microsoft in most cases, not the individual manufacturers.

--janak

WyattEarp
06-28-2003, 06:48 PM
It never hurts to be safe, although note that the bundled EUU instructions are from Microsoft in most cases, not the individual manufacturers.

--janak

That's true... Forgot that. I guess that's what happens when you come home from work that late at night and try to post before you turn in.