View Full Version : Welcome To New Pocket PC Thoughts Family Members

Ed Hansberry
06-25-2003, 01:49 AM
We have some additions to the family here at Pocket PC Thoughts.<br /><br /> :frusty: Meet my new favorite, Frusty. I'll used this when I explain for the upteenth time MS has no interest in "X-Scale Optimization" :wink: <br /><br /> :duh: This is Duh! He will help convey your total cluelessness (and mine!) about something.<br /><br /> :grumble: This is Mumbles. He complains about everything, or sometimes just mumbles under his breath about a particular issue. Toshiba 740 users - you can use this when discussing the lack of Pocket PC 2003 ROM upgrades!<br /><br /> :idontthinkso: Oh, I don't think so! As in, you want how much for that little piece of shareware? I don't think so!<br /><br /> :helpme: This little guy will flag down someone to help with an issue. This is more technical in nature, whereas :duh: is when you don't get the concept at all.<br /><br /> :nonono: This is pretty much for Steve. This is when he is telling you to get back on topic.<br /><br /> :rotfl: ROTFL is for when :lol: just isn't enough.<br /><br /> :i got it: After :helpme: has got your answer, you can use "I got it!" when you figure it out.<br /><br />Please use them sparingly for the first few weeks. They are in the emoticon union and are only supposed to work a few posts each day. :mrgreen:

Majestic
06-25-2003, 02:33 AM
You had WAY too much fun doing this post didn't you Ed? :way to go:

dean_shan
06-25-2003, 02:41 AM
:grumble: This is Mumbles. He complains about everything, or sometimes just mumbles under his breath about a particular issue. Toshiba 740 users - you can use this when discussing the lack of Pocket PC 2003 ROM upgrades!
Don't get me started!

Enderet
06-25-2003, 02:50 AM
Heheh... these new emoticons are really neat. 0X

Kevin Daly
06-25-2003, 02:55 AM
What I'd really like to see are the psycho smilies Jason was using in one of his "No, I Don't Have the Windows Mobile 2003 Themes" replies.

Ah, Ultra-Violence :wink:

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 02:55 AM
:nonono: This is pretty much for Steve. This is when he is telling you to get back on topic.
It took me a while to realize this one wasn't making an obscene gesture!

Ed Hansberry
06-25-2003, 03:14 AM
:nonono: This is pretty much for Steve. This is when he is telling you to get back on topic.
It took me a while to realize this one wasn't making an obscene gesture!
Uhhhh...... that never occured to me. :oops: I thought it was waving his index finger at you. erm....

Pat Logsdon
06-25-2003, 03:17 AM
:nonono:
&lt;off topic>
&lt;nerd mode>For some reason, whenever I think of Steve, I think of Gold 5 from Star Wars..."Stay on target, stay on target!" 8) &lt;/nerd mode>
&lt;/off topic>

And just to ENSURE that I stay on topic, I found this emoticon on vwvortex that I really like - pretty similar to the one Ed found, but I think it conveys a bit more emotion:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/banghead.gif

brntcrsp
06-25-2003, 04:22 AM
&lt;off topic>
&lt;nerd mode>For some reason, whenever I think of Steve, I think of Gold 5 from Star Wars..."Stay on target, stay on target!" 8) &lt;/nerd mode>
&lt;/off topic>

ctmangus' sig had me thinking about that recently.

Jason Dunn
06-25-2003, 04:38 AM
What I'd really like to see are the psycho smilies Jason was using in one of his "No, I Don't Have the Windows Mobile 2003 Themes" replies.

When making a post, click on VIEW MORE EMOTICONS, and they're all there. :rawr:

Elad Yakobowicz
06-25-2003, 06:49 AM
:rawr: --> Definitely one of the scarier things I've seen on forums to date, heh :roll:

Dermot81
06-25-2003, 06:53 AM
:jawdrop:

T-Will
06-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Union shmunion... :frusty:

bjornkeizers
06-25-2003, 10:44 AM
I love the new guys! They're Great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anthony Caruana
06-25-2003, 12:20 PM
If you could come up with a realistic ROFLMAO...

adamz
06-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Instead of using icons, we COULD just type stuff in plain english.

vetteguy
06-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Thought I'd try out mumbles...he seems perfect for when I complain about the lack of Smartphones in the US! Here goes...

Boy, I'm sure glad we don't have any Smartphones in the US yet... :grumble:

trachy
06-25-2003, 01:24 PM

What the heck is THAT supposed to mean? Do you have some sort of problem with how this site is run? Do emoticons somehow strike a nerve with you? Perhaps you should seek counselling? Maybe a little medication? :wink: :twisted:

Ed Hansberry
06-25-2003, 01:38 PM
No. We are clearly regressing to icons and hieroglyphics just like ancient Egypt. Look at your desktop and see how much info is conveyed by this stuff. :D

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 02:35 PM
:duh: :huh: :idontthinkso:

Kirk Stephens
06-25-2003, 03:23 PM
These little emoticons are one of my favorite aspects of the PocketPCThoughts forums...I mean how else could you express this: :alfdance: through words? :lol:

adamz
06-25-2003, 04:10 PM
No. We are clearly regressing to icons and hieroglyphics just like ancient Egypt. Look at your desktop and see how much info is conveyed by this stuff. :D

My desktop has text in plain english that identify the icons used as visual differentiators for active commands.
We already have a series of icons used for communication. It's called the alphabet, and all of those icons are already on my keyboard. I don't really need more letters in the alphabet which are used to represent an existing combination of letters. The reason we have the alphabet is to simplify communication. It's hard enough having different languages. I don't know what any of these emoticons mean other than the smiley face, which obviously represents a facial expression.

Ed Hansberry
06-25-2003, 04:31 PM
My desktop has text in plain english that identify the icons used as visual differentiators for active commands.
We already have a series of icons used for communication. It's called the alphabet, and all of those icons are already on my keyboard. I don't really need more letters in the alphabet which are used to represent an existing combination of letters. The reason we have the alphabet is to simplify communication. It's hard enough having different languages. I don't know what any of these emoticons mean other than the smiley face, which obviously represents a facial expression.

How about this one.

:roll:

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Emoticons represent moods - facial expressions and tone of voice - that *usually* aren't conveyed via the text medium. These visual and audio clues are what people depend on in person-to-person conversations to determine if there is danger, affection, etc.

In other words, it would mean very different things if I were to say:

You suck!

You suck! :twisted:

You suck! 8O

You suck! :?

You suck! :D :wink:

It's very important to be able to note the difference between these (though #2 and #5 are probably the same for me) if you don't have the emoticons.

jgrnt1
06-25-2003, 05:54 PM
I love the new guys! They're Great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know I'm showing my age, but when I saw this, I thought of the Village People. :wink:

Fzara
06-25-2003, 06:33 PM

How about this one.

:roll:

Besides, no one understands those Texans anyway. :mrgreen:

Just kidding. :rotfl:

thomas1973
06-25-2003, 07:23 PM

I like these 'visual differentiators'! Language is just a way to try and express thoughts and feelings. This is done by various means, including body language and facial expressions. I don't see why we shouldn't include them in this very verbal form of communication if we can. The language used for direct person to person communication is usually accompanied by these non-verbal signs. If you haven't discovered them already, I really think you should give non-verbal communication a go to enhance your interpersonal relationships :wink:

And on the problem of learning different languages: Body language and facial expressions are the great equalizers if you don't know the language perfectly. They are pretty international. If you don't understand them, your communication might be severely hampered.

That being said, I think it is important to know the language well enough to express one self through it. A great writer or poet can leave me in awe of their mastery of expressing thoughts and feelings through the simple alphabet icon coding of words.

Thomas.

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 08:51 PM
And on the problem of learning different languages: Body language and facial expressions are the great equalizers if you don't know the language perfectly. They are pretty international. If you don't understand them, your communication might be severely hampered.
Mostly, that's true.

But every once in a while I run into someone newly here from India, and I'm reminded how the "nod yes" movement is different over there. Very confusing if you don't know in advance. It's not up and down. It's more like shaking your head "no", but not on the neck axis, using the bridge of the nose as an axis. If that makes any sense.

Anyway... Just a small almost-interesting fact for the day...

adamz
06-25-2003, 09:17 PM
I like these 'visual differentiators'! Language is just a way to try and express thoughts and feelings. This is done by various means, including body language and facial expressions. I don't see why we shouldn't include them in this very verbal form of communication if we can. The language used for direct person to person communication is usually accompanied by these non-verbal signs. If you haven't discovered them already, I really think you should give non-verbal communication a go to enhance your interpersonal relationships :wink:

That being said, I think it is important to know the language well enough to express one self through it. A great writer or poet can leave me in awe of their mastery of expressing thoughts and feelings through the simple alphabet icon coding of words.

I can understand body language and facial expressions, but I do NOT see how an Alf icon, Alien head, or microwave represent these things.

Originally I thought this post was introducing actual people who will be contributing to PocketPCThoughts since normally I ignore the inline emoticons in favor of the actual text (which is understandable).

Using icons as compliments to actual text is great, but please don't use them to replace a standard language. Requiring a reader to use a decoder in order to translate what you're trying to communicate is not efficient communication! Maybe future versions of this forum should have an emoticon translator that replaces the icons with the text that they represent.

T-Will
06-25-2003, 09:26 PM

I can understand body language and facial expressions, but I do NOT see how an Alf icon, Alien head, or microwave represent these things.

Originally I thought this post was introducing actual people who will be contributing to PocketPCThoughts since normally I ignore the inline emoticons in favor of the actual text (which is understandable).

Using icons as compliments to actual text is great, but please don't use them to replace a standard language. Requiring a reader to use a decoder in order to translate what you're trying to communicate is not efficient communication! Maybe future versions of this forum should have an emoticon translator that replaces the icons with the text that they represent.

:| :? :frusty: :idontthinkso: :wink: :D

Jonathon Watkins
06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
&lt;off topic>
&lt;/off topic>

And just to ENSURE that I stay on topic, I found this emoticon on vwvortex that I really like - pretty similar to the one Ed found, but I think it conveys a bit more emotion:

You know - I said EXACTLY the same thing a few months ago. :lol:

We love you really Steve. :ppclove:

Mexico
06-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Maybe future versions of this forum should have an emoticon translator that replaces the icons with the text that they represent.

Step 1: Position your cursor on top of the emoticon.
Step 2: Read the popup text.

Hope that helps! [Smile]

Jonathon Watkins
06-25-2003, 09:52 PM
:duh: :huh: :idontthinkso:

:lol: :rotfl:

Pat Logsdon
06-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Using icons as compliments to actual text is great, but please don't use them to replace a standard language. Requiring a reader to use a decoder in order to translate what you're trying to communicate is not efficient communication!
Think of the emoticons as shorthand for emotions. It's an excellent way to add an additional form of communication to a written medium.

As Kati pointed out, there are many ways to say the same thing, and many ways of interpreting something based on inflection.

If I say, "You're a jerk, Dent, a complete knee-biter," then anyone named Dent reading that would probably take it literally and assume that I think he's a jerk.

If I say the same thing, but add the :wink: emoticon, Dent now knows that I'm only kidding, even if he is a boring prat who doesn't know where his towel is.

I agree with you about the Alf thing, however - I've never really understood what the heck that was supposed to be, besides COOL, because hey, it's ALF. :D

Mexico
06-25-2003, 10:19 PM
:alfdance: :alfdance: Well said, Surgical Snack. Well said! :alfdance: :alfdance:

Kati Compton
06-25-2003, 10:23 PM
When you feel like dancing....

Pat Logsdon
06-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Is that what it is? I always thought that his head was too heavy and he was stumbling around, trying to stay on his feet. :D

Jonathon Watkins
06-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Is that what it is? I always thought that his head was too heavy and he was stumbling around, trying to stay on his feet. :D

Hey Alf! Sas that hoopy Surgical Snack. There's a frood who really knows where his towel is! 0X

Kati Compton
06-26-2003, 12:06 AM
I think some people have been reading HHGTG a little too much... ;)

Ed Hansberry
06-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Happy Hornets Go To Georgia? :duh:

Pat Logsdon
06-26-2003, 12:49 AM
Happy Hornets Go To Georgia? :duh:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345391802/ref=ase_douglasadams/103-9649476-4288605). One of the best books EVER. It's POSSIBLE to be cool without having read this set of books, but it would be very difficult. :wink:

For those of you care about such things, I just found out that douglasadams.com (http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html) has the full version of the infamous text-based Hitchhiker game on the website.

I will now begin playing AGAIN, and probably won't stop until I get fired.

Steven Cedrone
06-26-2003, 02:06 AM
&lt;off topic>
&lt;/off topic>

You know - I said EXACTLY the same thing a few months ago. :lol:

We love you really Steve. :ppclove:

I think I need a special "Stay on topic, stay on topic" emoticon... :rotfl:

Oh, and it needs to be better than this one: :nonono:

Steve

dean_shan
06-26-2003, 04:51 AM

Yeah who needs letters and words. Exmple, Nothing says "Sorry for puking my totaly wasted guts all over you" like this :pukeface2:

ctmagnus
06-26-2003, 05:22 AM

Hey Alf! Sas that hoopy Surgical Snack. There's a frood who really knows where his towel is! 0X

I will now confess that I've never read HHGTG. Is it available in ebook format anywhere?

Pat Logsdon
06-26-2003, 07:30 AM
I think I need a special "Stay on topic, stay on topic" emoticon... :rotfl:

Oh, and it needs to be better than this one: :nonono:

Steve

How about this:

Neutral reminder:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/neutral_topic.gif

Slightly dangerous reminder:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/irked_topic.gif

VERY dangerous reminder:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/vader_topic.gif

Ok, so I was bored. :mrgreen:

dean_shan
06-26-2003, 08:12 AM
How about this:

Neutral reminder:

That is awsome. :werenotworthy: I bow down to your geekness. We should add that ASAP!

Steven Cedrone
06-26-2003, 12:24 PM
How about this:

Neutral reminder:

Slightly dangerous reminder:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/irked_topic.gif

VERY dangerous reminder:

Yes!!! :way to go:

Steve

Ed Hansberry
06-26-2003, 12:49 PM
VERY dangerous reminder:

Yes!!! :way to go:
Ok, switched. The one waving the finger looked like he was, erm... giving the finger on Pocket PC 2002 devices since they don't see animated gifs. I figured we should use Surgical Snack's Very Dangerous reminder as you don't usually get involved until someone is waaaaaay of topic. :)

Janak Parekh
06-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Ok, switched. The one waving the finger looked like he was, erm... giving the finger on Pocket PC 2002 devices since they don't see animated gifs. I figured we should use Surgical Snack's Very Dangerous reminder as you don't usually get involved until someone is waaaaaay of topic. :)
You do realize, though, that all the posts yesterday that used the finger are now going to look seriously funny, right? :lol:

Surgical, did you make those? If so, awesome work! :way to go:

--janak

Pat Logsdon
06-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Surgical, did you make those? If so, awesome work! :way to go:
I didn't make the "Luke" and "Vader" icons, I just tweaked them, added them to the "Google" emoticon, and ran it through Flash MX for the fade effect. :D

Steven Cedrone
06-26-2003, 05:42 PM

Cool!!! :way to go:

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
06-26-2003, 11:00 PM

Cool!!! :way to go:

Steve

Fair enought, though the last one is a bit, sinister.

Jonathon Watkins
06-26-2003, 11:03 PM

I will now confess that I've never read HHGTG. Is it available in ebook format anywhere?

8O Yes. - Time for your education to begin think I! 0X

No, read it, seriously - it's the bee's knees! :multi:

Aw, I realy liked the waving finger guy. :cry:

:oops: Oops, made a mistake, sorry Ed.

Ed Hansberry
06-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Again, if the Very Dangerous emoticon is going to be used, it should be in one of Steve's posts, not dropped into one of ours. :? Ta.
Quit taking things so seriously.

Jason Dunn
06-27-2003, 05:19 AM
After reading this silly thread, I felt the need to do this: :roll:

welwyngc
06-27-2003, 05:27 AM
:popcorn:

what a fun thread - and stimulating (at times)

:beer:

adamz
07-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Oh, these icons are animated?? I've always had animations shut off! Ha!

Janak Parekh
07-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Oh, these icons are animated?? I've always had animations shut off! Ha!
8O

Do you realize how much of the web you've been missing if you've blocked out animated GIFs? ;)

--janak

adamz
07-04-2003, 03:52 AM
Do you realize how much of the web you've been missing if you've blocked out animated GIFs? ;)

Oh, I do! I've blocked them for a reason.

Kati Compton
07-04-2003, 06:25 AM
But you're missing the best part of STEVDOR's avatar...

Steven Cedrone
07-04-2003, 01:47 PM

If you stare at it long enough, you'll want to jump on the phone and order a pizza!!! :wink:

It works, it really does...

Gotta go, my pizza's here!!! :lol:

Stevdor

Kati Compton
07-04-2003, 03:38 PM
If you stare at it long enough, you'll want to jump on the phone and order a pizza!!! :wink:
Mmmmm.....pizza.....

Janak Parekh
07-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Gotta go, my pizza's here!!! :lol:
Hot pizza at 8:47am!?!? 8O

Isn't the rule that when having pizza for breakfast, only cold leftover pizza is allowed? ;)

--janak

P.S. Er, can we accuse Steve this time of derailing the thread? :lol:

Dave Beauvais
07-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Is it safe to assume this is a Homestar Runner (http://www.homestarrunner.com/main9.html) reference?

--Dave

Janak Parekh
07-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Is it safe to assume this is a Homestar Runner (http://www.homestarrunner.com/main9.html) reference?
It's a variation thereof, invented by Kaber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119329#119329). The original, of course, is Trogdor (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html), one of the best SB emails ever.

--janak