View Full Version : Ipaq 2210 UK Pricing and Availability

Shaun Stuart
06-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Just got off the phone from PC World who tell me the new 2210 will be in stock in two weeks time and will retail at £369.99 Expansys are listing it for £364 and expect it in 2 days.

Whats going on ? is it just me or are the UK being ripped off again ? this is a $399 device being sold for $617.

While I appreciate there may be a variance in shipping costs and overheads in each country how can HP justify a 55% mark up when there is only a 25% difference between buying a 5450 ($749 in the UK) against buying one in the US ($599). Someone is taking the piss.

Has anyone found a cheaper supplier ? anyone know a company that will ship the 2210 internationally.

leigho
06-24-2003, 02:41 PM
From my experience Expansys are usually as cheap as it gets. dabs.com sometimes come up trumps and I know Carphone Warehouse are really starting to push PDA's so have a look there. I got my 3970 from them for £399 when it was £499 elsewhere. I think extra tax might have something to do with it as well. Does the $399 include local and state taxes?

TBH I think it is something we have to live with. If enough people boycotted the products we'd maybe see some results but that's never going to happen so we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Apart from Apple who seem to live in the world of reasonable exchange rates I think they're all at it :(

Leigh

GingerTommy
06-24-2003, 03:11 PM
I too get sick of the rip-off pricing. Companies do it because they can get it away with it, they know that we will pay.

Anyway, I have a friend whose going out to the States next month and was considering having him pick me up a 2210. Obviously the power adapter and warranty would be useless, but are there any other problems with buying a US device?

leigho
06-24-2003, 03:47 PM
I too get sick of the rip-off pricing. Companies do it because they can get it away with it, they know that we will pay.

Anyway, I have a friend whose going out to the States next month and was considering having him pick me up a 2210. Obviously the power adapter and warranty would be useless, but are there any other problems with buying a US device?

As I mentioned do check on the tax. My colleague was going to buy a Powerbook over there because he'd seen the ex tax price. When he added the tax it was only about £150 cheaper and not worth the hassle on a £2000 machine.

Leigh

GingerTommy
06-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks leigho.

I calculate that the highest sales tax you could be expected to pay is $50, taking the unit price up to ~$450.
At current exchange rates, that works out to £270 - a ton cheaper than the price you would pay in the U.K. 8O

hollis_f
06-25-2003, 05:54 AM
Thanks leigho.

I calculate that the highest sales tax you could be expected to pay is $50, taking the unit price up to ~$450.
At current exchange rates, that works out to £270 - a ton cheaper than the price you would pay in the U.K. 8O
Don't forget to add on the 17.5% VAT your friend will have to pay at customs. Of course, he could decide to smuggle it through - as long as he doesn't get caught. He'll never forgive you the terror he felt as he heard that first snap of the rubber glove. :shocked!:

leigho
06-25-2003, 09:31 AM
And import duty. When I used to import some PC parts I think it would work out at about 22% extra when you combined the VAT and Import duty. As you say if you don't get caught at customs you're laughing (and most people don't get caught) but it is a risky game.

Leigh

GingerTommy
06-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the heads-up guys - very useful information.

f1rick
06-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Gave HP an email about the price difference between the UK and the US models of 2200. Their response...

-----

Thank you for your mail to HP.

HP operates in many different countries globally. This, in turn, means that we are operating in many diffferent markets, and reacting to each individually. HP UK react to the market forces of the UK alone. HP US operates in it's own unique economic environment. This is what prevents price harmonisation across the IT industry and all globalised industries, producing variations such as the one you have highlighted.

-----

!?! :soapbox:

F1Rick

GingerTommy
06-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Reading all the posts from our US cousins picking up 2210s for $293 (£175!!!) or less is rubbing salt into the wound.
HP's UK pricing policy has really p*ss*d me off. I would have got one on release day but I feel so ripped off. I think I'll wait and see what their competitors offer.

hollis_f
07-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Gave HP an email about the price difference between the UK and the US models of 2200. Their response...

-----

Thank you for your mail to HP.

HP operates in many different countries globally. This, in turn, means that we are operating in many diffferent markets, and reacting to each individually. HP UK react to the market forces of the UK alone. HP US operates in it's own unique economic environment. This is what prevents price harmonisation across the IT industry and all globalised industries, producing variations such as the one you have highlighted.

Running this through the bolloxsphere translator -

We can screw you poor sods for huge amounts of dosh - hahahahaha!