View Full Version : Please help! T-Mobile Bluetooth GPRS to 2215 setup

palmsolo
06-23-2003, 10:51 PM
I have spent two days trying to get my new iPaq 2215 to connect through my Nokia 3650 on the T-Mobile data network and am ready to scream. I have searched hi and low and have tried every combination of initialization strings and phone numbers to get this to work to no avail.

Here are the numbers I have tried; *99***1#, *99#, *9#. Here are the command lines I have tried; blank, +cgdcont=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com", and +cgdcont=1,,"internet3.voicestream.com". I tried the 9 combinations of the numbers and commands above.

A password field pops up and I erase the pw and id and then check the remember password box. I am dialing only the G (phone number) without country or area codes. I have the Network connection box checked on the Proxy Settings tab.

I have no problem pairing my device and transferring files, but when I go to connect is says it is dialing on my Pocket PC and then eventually it times out. I believe I have the settings correct on my phone since they are pretty basic.

I would sincerely appreciate any assistance provided by the readers of this forum. Thank you.

yvilla
06-23-2003, 11:52 PM
A T-Mobile tech guy told me the modem command string is: tcgdcont=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com"

Exactly what you have except for the leading "t". Hope this helps.

palmsolo
06-24-2003, 03:31 PM
I tried this, but it didn't work. I changed something on my phone and now when I dial the *9# number a dialing pop-up comment appears, but then it says disconnecting after a second after being connected. I have received emails from others who have gotten this to work.

Does anyone successfully have a Pocket PC talking with a Nokia 3650?

JeffreyCentex
06-24-2003, 04:50 PM
I have the 2216 and a Nokia 3650 that communicate well (finally)...

My config:

1. Use the Bluetooth Manager and create a new connection. Select Connect to the Internet...
2. Select the Connect via a dial-up device...
3. Select your Nokia 3650 by clicking in the device box.
4. Follow the rest of the steps to completion.

5. Click on the Connections icon in the task bar and hit the settings. You should have a screen popup that says Bluetooth Settings. Click the Manage Existing Connections link.
6. Under the Modem tab, you should have a link for your dialup connection that you created in the bluetooth manager setup. Edit it.
7. On the first screen that pops up, make sure that Bluetooth Dialup Modem is selected and hit Next
8. For T-Mobile and the 3650, use *99# as the phone number (and don't use dialing rules).
9. On the next screen, leave the Username, Password, and Domain entries blank for now. Click the Advanced Button.
10. Set the following parameters:
Baud Rate: 115200
Select Wait for Dial tone before dialing
Extra Dial-String: +CGDCONT=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com"
Unselect Cancel if not connected in x sec.
11. Click OK to exit...
12. Click Finish to exit the Edit Connection Screen.
13. Hit OK to end the Bluetooth Settings screen.
14. Hit OK to end the Connections Screen.
15. Click on the Connections icon and then select the *99# link to dial your connection.
16. When prompted, erase everything in the Username, Password, and Domain boxes and then click the remember password option.

At this point, everything should be working. Note that if you are on the VPN plan, internet2 should be internet3.

HTH

Jeffrey

Icebaron
07-10-2003, 06:35 AM
thanks a million jeffrey... I've been scouring the web trying to find exactly what you posted... now happily surfing on my 2215 :-D

james

tourdewolf
07-16-2003, 04:42 AM
I followed the instructions posted above and still get a modem disconnected message. I have the phone/ppc paired and set to authorized and still no go. Any ideas? Using tmobile w/ 3650 w/ 2210. Tmo internet works fine if I switch the sim card to my treo or try browsing on the phone, I can also file transfer etc, but no gprs. :?: :?:
Thanks,
TD

stainlesssteele
07-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks - your post helped me somewhat figure out my problem.

IPAQ 2210 to Nokia 6310i via Bluetooth to Rogers AT&T Ontario, Canada

Connecting to Rogers AT&T (Ontario)

Bluetooth Dialup Modem
Number: *99***1#
DO NOT USE DIALING RULES
User Name: wapuser1
Password: wap
ADVANCED SETTINGS: Baud Rate 57600 & deselect 'wait for dial tone'
Extra dial-string modem commands: +CGDCONT=1,,"internet.com"

THANKS again Jeffrey - One note - you might have meant 'deselect' the "wait for dial tone" box ?

nightline
07-18-2003, 03:10 AM
Thanks Jeffrey, worked great on this end too. Only change I had to make was instead of internet2.voicestream.com, I had to put in wap.voicestream.com.

Working great, and only had the 2215 for 1 hour!

Not a bad product..

Now to make it work on my laptop also.

I have the 2216 and a Nokia 3650 that communicate well (finally)...

My config:

1. Use the Bluetooth Manager and create a new connection. Select Connect to the Internet...
2. Select the Connect via a dial-up device...
3. Select your Nokia 3650 by clicking in the device box.
4. Follow the rest of the steps to completion.

5. Click on the Connections icon in the task bar and hit the settings. You should have a screen popup that says Bluetooth Settings. Click the Manage Existing Connections link.
6. Under the Modem tab, you should have a link for your dialup connection that you created in the bluetooth manager setup. Edit it.
7. On the first screen that pops up, make sure that Bluetooth Dialup Modem is selected and hit Next
8. For T-Mobile and the 3650, use *99# as the phone number (and don't use dialing rules).
9. On the next screen, leave the Username, Password, and Domain entries blank for now. Click the Advanced Button.
10. Set the following parameters:
Baud Rate: 115200
Select Wait for Dial tone before dialing
Extra Dial-String: +CGDCONT=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com"
Unselect Cancel if not connected in x sec.
11. Click OK to exit...
12. Click Finish to exit the Edit Connection Screen.
13. Hit OK to end the Bluetooth Settings screen.
14. Hit OK to end the Connections Screen.
15. Click on the Connections icon and then select the *99# link to dial your connection.
16. When prompted, erase everything in the Username, Password, and Domain boxes and then click the remember password option.

At this point, everything should be working. Note that if you are on the VPN plan, internet2 should be internet3.

HTH

Jeffrey