View Full Version : ok which one to get?

jkabaseball
06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
seems like all the ppc's that are coming out soon have been announced. So "wait and see what comes out" won't work.
I'm currently looking into getting a new ppc. time to update from hp 520.

i'd like one with atleast one built-in wireless capibility. I don't have any bluetooth things yet but planning on getting a phone at teh end of summer, so wifi is probably best, but i'm going to have to get a card anyway.

i don't need the 128 mb ram that some pda's have not ( i got like 16 now)

I'd like a good screen, mines currently 256 colors so anything would be great, but i'd like to watch movies, which leads to the next question

speed, i know 2200's are really fast, but won't all ppc "mobile" going to be fast. read the review of the 1940 @ cnet they're almost as fast :roll:

D-pad i'd like to play games (who doesn't?) not all the time just one that i can use the d-pad ( really hard playing palmGB w/o a d=pad)

size - its a "pocket" pc so i should be able to put it in my pocket, and not have my pants fall down

ppc mobile 2003 is a must either upgrade or installed already

Palmguy
06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Well, just a few comments that may or may not apply. I know much discussion here is about the 2215, and I am going to continue!

It is definitely a PocketPC. I am seriously impressed with the size of the 2215.

The D-pad seems to be good. I haven't played any games yet, but it is MUCH better than any of the big iPAQs at least, I've never used a 1900.

Some people have said something about a grid on the screen of the 2200, mine doesn't have that. Not all do. The screen is many light-years ahead of the Jornada 520! Transflective is awesome, and HP/Compaq has had among the best of PDA screens over the last few years. They were the first with reflective screens and then transflective. And it is good!

Wifi isn't built-in :cry: , but BT is, and there are two slots, so a wifi card should be easy to add.

Happy hunting.

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 10:54 PM
D-pad i'd like to play games (who doesn't?) not all the time just one that i can use the d-pad ( really hard playing palmGB w/o a d=pad)

size - its a "pocket" pc so i should be able to put it in my pocket, and not have my pants fall down
Get ahold of an HP 1910 so you can see and feel the size and d-pad for yourself. That should give you a better idea whether you want to go with the 2215 or wait for the HP 1940.

ghostppc
06-23-2003, 11:15 PM
seems like all the ppc's that are coming out soon have been announced. So "wait and see what comes out" won't work.
I'm currently looking into getting a new ppc. time to update from hp 520.

Well wait and see the hands on user reviews - which ones are the "love it" and "hate it" of the bunch and get your money's worth! :)

jkabaseball
06-23-2003, 11:21 PM
what about the toshiba e750?

Enderet
06-24-2003, 02:56 AM
I say go with the 2215. I feel nobody can go wrong with that PPC. The claims that the 1940 will be almost as fast make I cant really swallow. A 266 vs the 400...almost as fast? :? Oh well, we will just have to wait and see :lol: But at the moment... if you cant wait... go for the 2215

maximus
06-24-2003, 01:23 PM
I definitely say ... wait for what DELL has to offer in the next 10 days or so.

Patience is virtue.

Palmguy
06-24-2003, 03:41 PM
I definitely say ... wait for what DELL has to offer in the next 10 days or so.

Patience is virtue.

You mean what Dell might offer or do you know something specific?

Enderet
06-24-2003, 05:37 PM
I think it would be stupid for Dell to hold out and wait until everyone goes off and runs a 2215 or some of the new Toshis. I think they will make an announcement soon(i hope)

the-mang
06-24-2003, 06:09 PM
I had 9 Dell units before I gave them the total shaft. I wanted it to work so bad, but the quality control on those units is garbage. They better clean that up if they ever wish to succeed.

I bought 1 2215 and right out of the box it is perfect. My vote would be for the 2215.....

PetiteFlower
06-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Repeat what I said in another post:

Dell is not interested in being first or going for the early adopters who would buy a 2215 in the first week or month it's out. Dell is interested in the mid-level tech head and average consumer, so they want to keep prices down and not rush things to market. I also think they are working very hard to ensure that neither the supply problems nor the quality problems they had with the X5 in the beginning are repeated in the new lines.

I don't think we'll be seeing anything from Dell for a few months, probably September if I had to pick a date :) If you absolutely MUST have something now, get the 2215. I'm tempted but broke :( It looks so petite next to the Axim, I might even be able to live without the jog dial, and to be able to buy it and accessories for it at a store would be lovely, no shipping cost and no waiting! But, as I'm forced to wait, I might as well keep looking at what's coming out over the next few months...the JVC with the screen cover looks nice but I don't exactly have the utmost confidence in the JVC name.....have to wait and see!

maximus
06-25-2003, 02:13 AM
JVC reminds me of my VCR .. and TV .. :wink: