View Full Version : The Itching Little Word; "but..."

Andy Sjostrom
06-23-2003, 09:51 PM
I am as excited as anyone else about the new Pocket PCs. Today's word is "new". <i>New</i> operating system, <i>new</i> features, <i>new</i> developer tools. In my opinion, the most inspiring thing with Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, <i>from an end user perspective</i>, is hardware and device related. HP continues to deliver <i>new</i> high quality devices. Gateway, JVC and others are bringing really cool <i>new</i> devices to the market. Exciting times and inspiring news. But... there is a little "but..." itching in my mind.<br /><br />From a consumer perspective, the Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC software delivers little user improvements in light of the past three years since the Pocket PC launch. Most built-in Pocket PC software since then look almost exactly the same. I am almost impressed that the user experience hasn't changed more than it has, given the huge undertaking Microsoft has invested in doing under-the-hood improvements -- first in Pocket PC 2002 and now in Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC. In my opinion, slow hardware and software innovation were the core reasons why Palm failed to keep high market share numbers the last couple of years. I'm not worried, but I don't think we can afford a much longer user experience stand still. That said, I do believe that Microsoft has invested enough "under-the-hood" and re-organization resources to start building end user improvements. The future is bright.<br /><br />A few days ago <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13394">I wrote that we are on a long term expedition</a>. Great achievements accomplished thus far. The Pocket PC is in this market for the long run and we will continue to see significant innovation happening. A new, solid base camp is established with Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC and enjoy the improvements we will. Then we will move on to new heights and achievements.