View Full Version : MS Reader in PPC 2003

ChristopherTD
06-23-2003, 09:00 PM
There was supposed to be a (minor) upgrade to MS Reader in PPC 2003. Have any early adopters had a chance to run up MS Reader and see if they have done anything to it.

In particular performance was very poor with books that had lots of images. There was also a memory leak that gradually consumed all the available memory.

Anyone had a chance to try it out?

Regards
Christopher

spursdude
06-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Well in one of those long HP 2210 threads, I read that opening up an ebook was nearly instantaneous in MS Reader. That sounds like a good enough improvement to me. :)

Enderet
06-24-2003, 03:14 AM
Yeah i heard that too... and well I dont know if that "Clear Type Tuner" on the 2215 does anything to MSN reader. :?

Jerry Raia
06-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Seems pretty quick on my 5455 with the new ROM

blusparkles
06-24-2003, 11:57 PM
What I want to know is whether it still has a memory leak. Reading eBooks like Pocket PC Magazine that have a large number of graphics using the Pocket PC 2003 MS Reader would suck the memory dry, resulting in at least 10 soft resets before you could even finish reading the book fully. :evil:

ChristopherTD
06-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Like blusparkles I would be interested to know if they have fixed the memory leak with image-rich books. Even little decorations at the start of chapters would be enough to set off the leak on my 5450 (with latest ROM).

The Pocket PC Magazine web site even has warnings about this when you subscribe to the MS Reader edition of their magazine!

Stephen Beesley
06-25-2003, 02:30 PM
I hate to "me too", but....

One of the things that really bugs me in MS reader in PPC 2002 is the memor leak. I love to read Pocket PC mag on my Jornada but it is almost impossible sometimes. When I had a HP 545 there were no problems with the older version of MS Reader. Hopefully they have fixed it this time round.

Goldtee

ChristopherTD
06-30-2003, 09:17 AM
According to Pocket PC Magazine the memory leak is fixed in Windows Mobile 2003. They publish their magazine in MS Reader format and have had to warn their subscribers that the bug makes the magazine hard to read!

From their website:

MS Reader Bug Fixed

Thaddeus Computing offers Pocket PC magazine in MS Reader .lit format, complete with graphics. This e-magazine runs properly on Pocket PC 2000 devices. However, some Pocket PC 2002 users experience a slowdown in the turning of pages because of a "memory leak" bug found in the Pocket PC 2002 software. Eventually, they need to completely close done MS Reader and restart it. Windows Mobile 2003 does not have this problem.