View Full Version : O2 XDA

sobk
06-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Could be life in this 'old dog' yet, what with O2 working on the upgrade to WMPE (Windows Mobile Phone Edition).

There have been rumours of a new XDA at the end of the year, and of Vodafone having a competitor at the end of the year.

Would you buy an XDA now?

Monty Gibson
06-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Could be life in this 'old dog' yet, what with O2 working on the upgrade to WMPE (Windows Mobile Phone Edition).

There have been rumours of a new XDA at the end of the year, and of Vodafone having a competitor at the end of the year.

Would you buy an XDA now?

I have the T-Mobile version now. Personally, I'd wait. I spoke with someone today at T-Mobile about the 2003 upgrade and a possible new device altogether. They stated that it's "...in the works." Well, I'm sure that it is. I doubt for one second that T-Mobile will let their guard down to all the new PPCPE's coming out. Especially with a new OS upgrade. By the end of the year I expect at least the following:

400 mHz chip
64mb RAM
SD/MMC I/O Slot
Windows Mobile 2003 OS
Wi-Fi of some sort
It's the end of June, the end of the 2nd quarter. You should see something probably end of the third, early fourth quarter. This is just a guess; mind you. All this hype about 2003 is like XP or another version of Windows. It's exciting, but there are drawbacks. I am waiting until all of my application vendors (software authors) have a working copy of their software that is running smoothly on the new Windows Mobile 2003.

Monty Gibson
07-02-2003, 12:29 AM
400 mHz chip
64mb RAM
SD/MMC I/O Slot
Windows Mobile 2003 OS
Wi-Fi of some sort
It's the end of June, the end of the 2nd quarter. You should see something probably end of the third, early fourth quarter. This is just a guess; mind you. All this hype about 2003 is like XP or another version of Windows. It's exciting, but there are drawbacks. I am waiting until all of my application vendors (software authors) have a working copy of their software that is running smoothly on the new Windows Mobile 2003.

To quote myself, I see that O2 has indeed released a preview of their product. Who is making this for them? Probably HTC the same company who makes it for T-Mobile. T-Mobile offers an upgrade policy that if you purchased a phone from them then to upgrade to another phone with T-Mobile is rewarded with a lower price. I knew this would be last quarter of the year. I think T-Mobile wouldn't be far behind them either, probably first quarter next year, or perhaps even last quarter of this year if they're eager. See the link for more information --> Link. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=130609)

possmann
07-08-2003, 04:26 AM
Check this info out:

In a first for devices based on Microsoft's Pocket PC Phone Edition, the XDA II will offer full MMS support, as well as support for J2ME - neither of which are available in the current XDA model. On the visual side, a 16-bit (65,536 colours) display is a big step up from the current model's 12-bit (4,096 colours) display, and an integrated VGA-resolution (0,3 megapixel) built-in digital camera is an entirely new feature.

According to O2, the XDA II will also offer access to O2's music serviceš enabling users to select, retrieve and store the latest chart hits onto the device, all in CD quality stereo sound. 64 MB of onboard memory will serve as storage, and music playback - as well as all other aspects of the device - will be powered by a 400 MHz Intel PXA255 XScale processor.

Tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz connectivity is also an improvement over the current dual-band capabilities of the XDA, but the XDA also features integrated Bluetooth as well as support for 802.11b expansion through its SDIO capable SD/MMC card expansion slot. O2 also says the company has been able to improve talk and standby times,

Running Microsoft's latest Phone Edition of Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, the XDA II will also feature an O2-branded 'control pad', designed to both to generate increased revenue for O2 and enable users to access O2 services more easily. Also, O2 will customise other parts of the user experience through colour, sound and visuals.

full link here:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3763.html