View Full Version : What a Dilemma!

Palmguy
06-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I was not intrigued by the 2200 at all when I first saw it. I've been a "big" iPAQ user for two years now, and I couldn't wait for the release of the 5550. But now I'm rethinking my wants...

The 2200 is receiving glowing reviews from many people; the blazing speed and seemingly decent battery life, great size (!), obviously dual slots, improvements in networking on 2k3. I also read that my CF Wifi card is compatible with 2k3 right now.

I really want built-in Wifi. If the 2200 had it instead of BT, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Shoot, even if it was more than $400, it would be perfect in my mind. But I'm strongly considering saving a month and $250 to continue to live with a CF Wifi card.

:| Decisions, decisions...<sigh>

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 04:43 PM
That HP 2215 looks pretty sweet, but I'm keeping my eye on the Toshiba e755, and the new JVC set to come out in September. Both have built-in WiFi.

Palmguy
06-23-2003, 06:59 PM
The JVC just doesn't do it for me, I know that you like how it looks, I don't though!

The e755 has caught my eye as well, but I want to hear definitive evidence that battery life has improved on these as well as iPAQ-quality screens.

drober30
06-23-2003, 09:10 PM
I just picked up a 2215 from CompUSA and its great. There is a huge speed increase over my Dell Axim5. Its very sleek and the D pad feels great! I've never really persued wireless but since this has Bluetooth built in I will research it more. It would seem to me that a Bluetooth enabled phone would be sweet for Internet accesss anywhere. WiFi will only be good a home or maybe work and I will have a PC at either place. Am I missing what WiFi might give me over bluetooth?

Palmguy
06-23-2003, 09:35 PM
I don't think you are missing anything. Some people have BT phones and access points and swear by them.

I don't have a BT phone, but I do have wireless routers at home, work, and this fall on campus at UCF. Wifi is my main concern right now.

My town unfortunately sucks though, I went to every PocketPC-carrying store and nothing. No 2215s! If anyone had one, I woulda bought it.

Of course, there are only three such stores here in Port Charlotte; Circuit City, Staples, and Office Depot. I didn't want to order one off of Amazon, but it seems that I might just do that!

Palmguy
06-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Well....nevermind!!! :D :D :D

I thought, eh, just for the heck of it, I'll go back to Circuit City one more time. And it turns out, in the three hours that had passed since the last time I was there, the HP guy came by and delivered one 2215! The store woman was like, wow, the guy just dropped this off, and he showed it to me and it is really awesome!

So now I have a 2215. :D

All I can say is wow. This little guy is tiny compared to my 3950! I think that the screen is better as well! But alas, no more comments about it, because it is charging. All I have to say is I am thoroughly impressed with HP at the moment. Cramming everything but Wifi into this lightweight is impressive.

Good job guys!

Oh yeah, the D-pad is sweet, at least coming from someone who has a 3900 and used to have a 3600. I like it :wink:

medic119
06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
What WiFi card do you have? My Symbol/Socket Spectrum 24 card doesn't work and the drivers hang up the PPC.

Anyway, I am loving my 2215. I too wish they had a WiFI option instead of/in concert with a BT option. I don't have any use for BT at this time.

Anyway, BT is cheaper to add and more battery friendly. Thats a win-win for the manufacturer, and the can say it has built-in wireless.

I am loving t though. 2/3 the size of my e550G with all the same slots, better screen, and better CPU! If you wanna see a size comparison, I posted a quick review at my website (see signature).

Palmguy
06-23-2003, 10:57 PM
I have a D-Link DCF660W.

I don't have it running yet, but I have read that the 2k2 driver works perfectly fine. I hope so!

Maybe I'll see about trying to get a T68i or whatever the newer phone is. What carrier supports those? I know AT&T does, but anyone else?

Kati Compton
06-23-2003, 11:59 PM
That HP 2215 looks pretty sweet, but I'm keeping my eye on the Toshiba e755, and the new JVC set to come out in September. Both have built-in WiFi.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I think I've decided against Toshiba based on their... unfriendly... upgrade/EUU performance in the past and with 2003.

Edit - whoops...wrote EEU instead of EUU...

Palmguy
06-24-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I think I've decided against Toshiba based on their... unfriendly... upgrade/EEU performance in the past and with 2003.

Word.

I can't believe that they are screwing the e740 et al. owners! hp not supporting the 3600, I can understand. But these are the immediate previous devices in the line!

Ain't right!

Kati Compton
06-24-2003, 12:18 AM
I can't believe that they are screwing the e740 et al. owners! hp not supporting the 3600, I can understand. But these are the immediate previous devices in the line!
Yep. I'm not of the opinion that the Maestro has to be supported... But yes, if the hardware still currently available, or available in the past 3-6 months is upgradeable, and cost > $200, I expect a company to provide those updates to their customers.

They obviously don't *have* to just because I *expect* them to.

But I also don't have to purchase future devices from them.

medic119
06-24-2003, 12:33 AM
What about us poor e550 owners who have NEVER had any support from audiovox, let alone Toshiba!!! :evil:

That was a big factor in my decision to upgrade today.

Kati Compton
06-24-2003, 12:36 AM
What about us poor e550 owners who have NEVER had any support from audiovox, let alone Toshiba!!! :evil:

That was a big factor in my decision to upgrade today.
Yeah - that one I never understood. :( I almost got one of those instead of my Axim - I like that it has that huge screen. But I read too many complaints from customers about problems and in particular a complete lack of customer support about those problems.

maximus
06-24-2003, 01:33 PM
What will you miss from wifi over BT ? speed, streaming, speed, streaming and speed, streaming .

Palmguy
06-24-2003, 01:57 PM
What will you miss from wifi over BT ? speed, streaming, speed, streaming and speed, streaming .

I'm confused.

Maybe I should have gotten some more sleep last night...

madbart
06-24-2003, 02:38 PM
i have a 5450 and use bt at work and at home use wifi. i also have a t68i so i also usE the bt @ home as well. i would love to get the new 22xx as i could do everything @ home and work with bt. does the 22xx & 55xx have consumer ir ? as i use the nevo & pdawin's tv remote control everyday & was one of the main reasons for buying the 5450 that i own. i would also like something a bit lighter in my pocket than the 5450. the fingerprint reader i can do without

Crystal Eitle
06-24-2003, 02:40 PM
does the 22xx & 55xx have consumer ir ? as i use the nevo & pdawin's tv remote control everyday & was one of the main reasons for buying the 5450 that i own.
The 22xx has consumer IR and it comes with Nevo!

Palmguy
06-24-2003, 03:39 PM
i have a 5450 and use bt at work and at home use wifi. i also have a t68i so i also usE the bt @ home as well. i would love to get the new 22xx as i could do everything @ home and work with bt. does the 22xx & 55xx have consumer ir ? as i use the nevo & pdawin's tv remote control everyday & was one of the main reasons for buying the 5450 that i own. i would also like something a bit lighter in my pocket than the 5450. the fingerprint reader i can do without

I've heard that the 5500 will NOT have Consumer IR/Nevo. I assume that also means that the 5100 won't either.

Will Nevo allow hardware buttons to be assigned to say use the D-pad to change the channel/volume? This would be the only way I would ever use Nevo seriously. It is cool, but I could never get my 3950 to program hard keys and I haven't looked at the 2215 yet on this, but it is probably the same :cry:

Chris Spera
06-24-2003, 04:03 PM
I've heard that the 5500 will NOT have Consumer IR/Nevo. I assume that also means that the 5100 won't either.

Will Nevo allow hardware buttons to be assigned to say use the D-pad to change the channel/volume? This would be the only way I would ever use Nevo seriously. It is cool, but I could never get my 3950 to program hard keys and I haven't looked at the 2215 yet on this, but it is probably the same :cry:

Yes, Nevo does do this. I've used it on both my 3955 and 5455, and this functionality is there. You press the Mail button to cycle thru a preconfigured set of D-pad button assignments to find the set you want, and then use the D-pad.

Nevo does this very well, BTW...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Palmguy
06-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Cool! Thanks.

Enderet
06-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Just go with the 2215....you cant go wrong at all.