View Full Version : New JVC Pocket PCs Emphasize Multimedia Capabilities

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 07:12 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3723.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3723.html</a><br /><br /></div>Remember the rumors of a JVC Pocket PC that first showed up here back in <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10209&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">March</a>? It's official. JVC will be releasing two new Pocket PCs in September. <br /><br />Here's the exciting news for all you PPC audiophiles out there: "Features that both JVC iO Pocket PCs share include the JVC AV player that supports MP3, WAV and Ogg Vorbis compressed audio files, as well as AVI (MPEG4) and ASF (MPEG4) video files. The player also includes a graphic equalizer for customizing the sound’s tonal quality, a sound position expander that creates a broad soundfield when listening through headphones, and a Compression Compensation Converter that expands digital signals to improve fidelity. The latest Microsoft Windows Media Player is also included." Optional accessories include a headphone with wired remote! It's about time.<br /><br />"Other shared features of the two models include 128 MB of SDRAM, 32 MB of Flash ROM, a CompactFlash Type II expansion slot, an SDIO capable SD/MMC Card expansion slot, a 16-bit (65,536 colours) 3.5" transflective TFT display, a USB client port and a non-exchangeable 1100 mAh Lithium Polymer battery. <br /><br />"To these features, the MP-PV331 adds the aforementioned MPEG4 video capture, MPEG4 video streaming, built in Wi-Fi (802.11b) connectivity, a USB host/client port which enables connectivity with several JVC camcorder models, a digital still capture from camcorder feature and the ability to remotely control certain JVC camcorder models from an application on the handheld (focus, zoom, play, pause, stop, fast forward, rewind)."<br /><br />With dual slots, 128 MB of SDRAM, USB host/client, PXA255 processor, 3.5" transreflective screen, optional flip cover, built-in Wi-Fi, and native support for Ogg Vorbis and MPEG4, the MP-PV331 may be the Pocket PC I've been waiting for!

jd4science
06-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Man, that thing sounds great! 128 of ram, bluetooth... This is so much fun. :lol:

Justin

nightmare
06-23-2003, 07:16 AM
These models look GREAT on paper, but look HORRIBLE in picture. Reminds me of an elongated Toshi with a bad hair day... something just doesn't sit right about that.

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Man, that thing sounds great! 128 of ram, bluetooth... This is so much fun. :lol:
No built-in bluetooth, from what I've read so far. But it does have built-in WiFi. Bluetooth should be pretty easy, though, with a CF or SDIO bluetooth card.

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 07:18 AM
These models look GREAT on paper, but look HORRIBLE in picture. Reminds me of an elongated Toshi with a bad hair day... something just doesn't sit right about that.
I think it looks goooood. Especially if it's made out of metal. I hope so.

jd4science
06-23-2003, 07:19 AM
No built-in bluetooth, from what I've read so far. But it does have built-in WiFi. Bluetooth should be pretty easy, though, with a CF or SDIO bluetooth card.

Thanks. It's all the coffee. I guess I just expected it so much when I read it, I thought it was there. Heh.

Justin.

Crystal Eitle
Also, did you notice the stereo speakers on the front? Sweeet.

Dave Conger
Connectivity to some JVC equipment is great. I love innovative devices...just love them.

ctmagnus
06-23-2003, 07:21 AM
&lt;drool> Must... resist... urge....

I think the 5550 has it over this for me though, if only because of the expansion pack thing (and 48MB rom)

nightmare
06-23-2003, 07:21 AM
I think it looks goooood.

Not meaning to offend, but are we looking at the same model here?

Yes, I've been yelling at OEM's to make dual-channel stereo speakers in the front and JVC delivered. Too bad it's in this package. :(

Dave Conger
06-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Not meaning to offend, but are we looking at the same model here?

It is the specs and features that make it look so good. Design...ah, nothing to special.

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 07:23 AM
It is the specs and features that make it look so good. Design...ah, nothing to special.
No, really, I like the way it looks.

Maybe I'm just weird.

nightmare
06-23-2003, 07:25 AM
Maybe I'm just weird.

LOL, indeed! :wink:

Enderet
06-23-2003, 07:29 AM
:lol:

ricksfiona
06-23-2003, 07:29 AM
I think it's VERY sleek. I can't go with anything other than IPAQ cause of the peripherals you can get with it (magnetic card reader for my business needs).
I totally love the look and it has a 'Matrix' look to it too. If you wanted a personal PPC, the JVC would be way up there. Too bad no Bluetooth built-in. I'd take built-in Bluetooth over CF anyday. Awesome audio. Maybe they'll sell the player for us other PPC users?

Gremmie
06-23-2003, 07:32 AM
SD on the side, could interfere with SDIO devices

Jonathan1
06-23-2003, 07:33 AM

hehe I mentioned it the first time the pictures leaked. One other thing I noted, that isn't viewable here, is that it appeared that there were tabs on the top of the device to accommodate a flip cover....WOOT!

mangochutneyman
06-23-2003, 07:40 AM
So in comparison to the h2210, the JVC MP-PV131 will have all the features of the former + 128 MB ram + non-removable 1100 mAh battery + proprietary player for a $100 bucks more? That doesn't sound too appealing for the price. However the MP-PV331 w/integrated wifi and MPEG4 video capture support seems much more interesting IMNSHO 8O

AhuhX
06-23-2003, 07:43 AM
I think it looks like a 70's TV remote control.

It just needs some fake wood vaneer panelling on the sides and it would be *perfect*... if your into the whole retro thing... ;)

Crystal Eitle
06-23-2003, 07:44 AM
It just needs some fake wood vaneer panelling on the sides and it would be *perfect*
Ewwww. :pukeface2:

Fzara
06-23-2003, 07:45 AM
That gunmetal looks HOT. It just looks really professional from the darkness of the color.

Just some "me-tooism" being displayed by JVC.

beq
06-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Darn you all, I actually get out of bed to check the hubbub again. (I tried to follow Daddy Dunn's advice but this insomnia doesn't help.)

I do like many JVC devices, not sure about these PPCs yet though. I liked the compact design of their DVP7U miniDV palmcorder (http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026871), even though its video quality leaves something to be desired (compared to Canon's Elura 20/40MC at least). And their old SVHS-ET VCRs were great in their day (we still have the 7500U-9600U models). And even an F85GD multi-disc DVD player on an impulse buy...

Paul
06-24-2003, 08:09 PM

Are you sure about that? Take a look at the pictures again. You'll notice the little indents for speakers on both sides but only the left side has actual holes to indicate a speaker below it.

I noticed this in the ASUS MyPal Pics (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=13887) too.

Crystal Eitle
06-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Are you sure about that? Take a look at the pictures again. You'll notice the little indents for speakers on both sides but only the left side has actual holes to indicate a speaker below it.

I noticed this in the ASUS MyPal Pics (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=13887) too.
Just looked at the hi-res pics Janak posted. Darnit, it does look like the speaker is only on the left.

Boo, JVC, boo!

Kati Compton
06-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Just looked at the hi-res pics Janak posted. Darnit, it does look like the speaker is only on the left.

Boo, JVC, boo!
I really have to wonder if it would even be worth putting stereo speakers in a PPC. I mean, they're SMALL. I can't think the sound quality through them would be worth the space required.

Crystal Eitle
06-25-2003, 03:00 PM

Boo, JVC, boo!
I really have to wonder if it would even be worth putting stereo speakers in a PPC. I mean, they're SMALL. I can't think the sound quality through them would be worth the space required.
I guess it's a W?BIC! thing. I just think it would be *cool* if it had stereo speakers. Even if it wouldn't be particularly useful.

ctmagnus
06-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Too bad they didn't have these things in the 80s. It would have been much easier to carry one of these around on one's shoulders than a giant boombox.

bbarker
06-25-2003, 07:49 PM
So in comparison to the h2210, the JVC MP-PV131 will have all the features of the former + 128 MB ram + non-removable 1100 mAh battery + proprietary player for a $100 bucks more? That doesn't sound too appealing for the price. However the MP-PV331 w/integrated wifi and MPEG4 video capture support seems much more interesting IMNSHO 8O
It might be worth it to me. A LOT more RAM, expandable battery add-on, SCREEN COVER. And it looks fine -- a lot better than a pre-1900 iPaq. It won't be mistaken for a Gameboy. JVC has been listening. It is about half an inch longer than the h2200 and a tiny bit thicker. But it's a little smaller than the iPaq 5000 series.

jaja_75
07-28-2003, 02:46 PM
JVC PPC will be released on September 15, 2003
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/3690191/ref=br_dp__3/002-5014687-5065606

JVC MP-PV331 Pocket PC : $600
JVC MP-PV131 Pocket PC : $500

Bruno Figueiredo
07-28-2003, 06:19 PM
:drool:

Dr. Grabow
07-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Non-exchangable battery is a step backwards though ...

And at only 1100 mAh, it won't last long with the multimedia type usage.

I'll stick with my Ipaq 5550, although I'd be tempted if the battery were larger and removable.