View Full Version : What would be your ideal way to get connected?

dh
06-22-2003, 03:02 PM
For ages I've been trying to figure out the best way to have connectivity while traveling. Right now I have a WiFi card for my Axim which is fine while a network is available.
I'm wondering what everyone else thinks is the best way to keep connected.

[edit] Oooops, probably should have posted this in wireless forum.

maximus
06-22-2003, 03:21 PM
My idea is, and unless something big happened, will always be a PPC + CF GPRS. This combination ROCKS! :rock on dude!:

People with my office were wondering, I am always away on business trips, but they always sense my 'electronic' presence (emails, smses, ICQs, etc. etc.

I also have a wifi card, but I have already forgotten where I put that thing. :wink:

dh
06-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Hmmm... PPC with GPRS or CDMA card is an option I forgot. Right now I believe you can only get CF format on the Sprint network in the US and the cost is pretty high (about $90.00 per month for unlimited data).

You can tag unlimited data to a regular voice account for a reasonable price ('bout $20.00 per month) so BT phone and PPC with BT phone is quite an attractive option.

disconnected
06-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Well, what I'm actually using is --

iPAQ 3975.
Built-in bluetooth for connecting to GPS receiver.
Klunky cord to connect to Sprint phone.
Bulky sleeve for WiFi card.

What I really want is --

Built-in bluetooth for GPS (also maybe built-in GPS)
Built-in WiFi for home and hotspots.
Built-in PPCPE (2003) and all necessary stuff to support CDMA and GPRS, such that you could plug in tiny modules from whatever CDMA or GPRS provider you wanted to use (permanently or temporarily for travel).
Ability for switching (transparently, no user intervention) back and forth between WiFi and CDMA or GPRS as you move into various coverage areas.
A higher resolution screen would be very helpful for browsing too.

Maybe in time for PPCPE 2010 :evil: