View Full Version : Getting an Axim X5 advanced with Wi-Fi Card; 1st time PPC user

Axim Lover
06-22-2003, 12:26 AM
Hello, your forum is great, i hope i could fit in!
i am getting a dell axim, and planning to get a dell wi fi card with it (from the same site) do you recommend the dell wifi card?
i was searching through posts before posting this, but i got really confused i was gonna crack up, now i will buy a wireless router, to start using my internet around the house with my axim, but from what ive read, the setup is a miracle to do, WEP and gatewa etc.... which i really cant handle my self, can anyone please tell me specificaly what to do? from the minute i get the dell wifi out of the box, and the router out of the box, to the minute i open internet explorer on PPC and check my email!
i know this is alot of writing, but help a brother put!!

thanks for ANY help.

David Prahl
06-24-2003, 11:45 PM
SETTING UP AN AXIM X5, DELL TRUEMOBILE 1184 WIRELESS ROUTER, AND TRUEMOBILE 1180 COMPACTFLASH CARD.

I've got twenty minutes before I leave work, so I write down what I can remember. If all else fails, unplug it and turn it back on! If that doesn't work, call Dell Support, they're great!

When you get your X5, it will come in a box within a box within a box. The battery is a VERY thin silver object that is also packaged within a box. Before you can use your Axim, you need to charge the battery for a full 4 hours. This is very important, and "cheating" on this charge will cost you battery life in the future. Slide the battery into the back of the Axim, being carefull not to turn the device on. Now take the black AC power cable and plug it into a normal household power outlet (this charger has two cables, by the way. One connects to the other.). Plug the smaller end into the bottom of the Axim. The power light should glow orange.

Wait 4 hours. The light should turn green (charged) after two or so, but WAIT THE FULL FOUR HOURS! :wink:

During this time you can hook up the cradle (or cable, depending on what you ordered) to your PC and get ready with the software. I don't remember the order in which you hook stuff up, so you better consult the documentation that came with the device for this part. When all is said and installed, you should be able to seat your Axim into it's cradle/cable and ActiveSync (syncronize the Axim and desktop). By the way, install the included copy of Outlook 2000 BEFORE ActiveSync!

Now play with your Axim X5!! Wheeeee! :D

At this point you need to install the router. With the Dell Truemobile 1184 and a cable Internet connection, I did the following (don't feel like you have to buy the 1184. I got mine free!):

Use the included Ethernet cable to connect the router to your Internet source (DSL or cable modem, whatever). Plug the other end of the cable into the port marked "WAN" or "Internet" on the router. Hook up any wired connections you may have, including the PC that will configure the router (you'll need a Network Card in your PC. If you don't have one, I'd suggest the D-Link DFE-530TX+ for $10 or so).

Follow the installation wizard that comes with the router on CD.

You should be able to get on the internet with a desktop or laptop now (assuming that it's hooked up through Ethernet). Yeeehaw! :mrgreen:

Here's the fun part (and the easiest):

If all of this is working, insert the CD that comes with your CompactFlash wireless card. My Truemobile 1180 CF works fine for me, but I have nothing to compare it to. Sorry!

Install the included software (with your Axim in it's cradle or cable).
It might be a good idea to reset the X5 now. I didn't have to, but the directions might say otherwise (I never read directios! :wink: ).

Insert the card, and run the program on the Axim called "Dell Client". This will connect the card to a wireless network, assuming that you installed your wireless router correctly. If you didn't touch the settings on the router, then this will be simple. Don't panic!

Tap "Edit Wireless Profiles". Tap "Add". Enter a name for this connection, like "home" or "coffee shop" or whatever. This is just for your reference.
Under "Network Type" select "residential gateway." NEXT. Tap SCAN to scan for available networks. This might not work the first time, so just tap it again if nothing shows up. Now TAP on the name of your router ("linksys", "wireless", or whatever you called it in the router setup wizard).

Whew!

NEXT. If you set up Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) in the router setup, then enter your WEP key in the next screen otherwise, hit NEXT.

Leave power card management OFF. It's nice if you're close to the router, but shortens range. FINISH.

Yay! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Now hit OK in the top right corner of the screen. Your info should show up!

Smooth sailing! Internet Explorer should work now, and e-mail is pretty easy to set up. Let me know if you have any problems.

I'd leave WEP off for a week or two, and then definately enable it. I've been driving around looking for networks lately, and have found that 75% of them or more are not secured at all, and are wide open.

Also, it'd be a good idea to install a firewall on your PC if you haven't already. ZoneAlarm is a good one.

Let me know how things go!