View Full Version : XDA ROM Hacking

Janak Parekh
06-22-2003, 12:23 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://xda-developers.com/SER/' target='_blank'>http://xda-developers.com/SER/</a><br /><br /></div>"It all started when we wanted access to some of the files which reside in the ROM of the device, so we could understand the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) mechanism better. The PocketPC OS wouldn't give these files to us, claiming we didn't really need them since they were in ROM. So we started digging into how these files were stored, and ended up understanding the ROM layout enough for us to be able to create our own ROM images. This page describes our own ROM image, which we dubbed 'XDA developers Special Edition ROM'."<br /><br />These enterprising folks have managed to create a new, custom, unofficial ROM for the O2 XDA. While at it, they crammed a ton of software and tools into the ROM. It's great to see the community inventing solutions like this, and I'd love to see if people have done similar mods for other Pocket PC devices.<br /><br />(Disclaimer: do note that attempting to use this ROM probably invalidates any warranty you may have on your Pocket PC Phone...)

TawnerX
06-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Holy cow they include the CMD console into the ROM...

must have XDA NOW!!!...

kendrick
06-22-2003, 02:25 AM
All the attention on the custom XDA ROM project has been on getting custom apps INTO the device. Was there any public documentation about how they got data OUT in the first place? Explorer and Activesync explicitly block a normal user from copying data out of the Pocket PC ROM, and it's that part of the process that interests me the most.

I think that there might be some interest in extracting executables from Pocket PC ROMs of all types for use on other devices... Specifically, I think it would be productive to have MS Reader 1.0 available for use on newer ARM-based devices, as well as on non-English legacy Pocket PC 2000 devices that didn't include the app as part of their ROM. MIPS and SH-3 versions of Reader 1.0 could also be extracted and implemented on Handheld PC devices.

Just a thought. And include the standard disclaimer here about legal use of software.

-KKC

ricksfiona
06-22-2003, 02:29 AM
Very clever. I only worry about the possibility of spyware...

Janak Parekh
06-22-2003, 03:37 AM
All the attention on the custom XDA ROM project has been on getting custom apps INTO the device. Was there any public documentation about how they got data OUT in the first place? Explorer and Activesync explicitly block a normal user from copying data out of the Pocket PC ROM, and it's that part of the process that interests me the most.
I believe they decompiled the ROM image itself from a desktop computer. They say they'll release a tool that will actually do this... it'll be interesting to see if that works on other ROM images too.

--janak

cherring
06-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Isn't this considered reverse engineering? If so and the software manufacturer lets it slide, why am I worried about letting people know how I got my HP CF Camera to work on my Casio E200? I'm not talking about using it with MS Portrait, I'm using it with HP camera software I got off their SDK for the device.

Marc Zimmermann
06-22-2003, 12:38 PM
[...] I got my HP CF Camera to work on my Casio E200? I'm not talking about using it with MS Portrait, I'm using it with HP camera software I got off their SDK for the device.
Wow, so it's possible? I've tried hacking their files as well, but had limited success so far. I didn't invest too much time into it, though.

FredMurphy
06-22-2003, 02:29 PM
It would be great to be able to adjust your own ROM image for other Pocket PC devices too. Not a unix user, so I won't be messing around with this unless someone create a utility that runs on XP.

My favourite bit: :lol:
After you're done booting, you'll maybe notice the absence of the wonderful tutorial on how to cut and paste using the stylus. If you need to be taught how to cut and paste every time you cold-boot your device, maybe you should not install this ROM.

jage
06-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Mmm... being able to remove MSN Messenger, Calculator, AvantGo, Internet Explorer (if possible), File Explorer (if possible), iTask, Windows Media, Notes, default themes and that stupid reboot tutorial would be great. 8)

Microsoft Reader maybe, although quite nice and sometimes useful.

NetFront and some freeware apps in and voila... :)

kalex
06-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Mmm... being able to remove MSN Messenger, Calculator, AvantGo, Internet Explorer (if possible), File Explorer (if possible), iTask, Windows Media, Notes, default themes and that stupid reboot tutorial would be great.

Microsoft Reader maybe, although quite nice and sometimes useful.

NetFront and some freeware apps in and voila...

reboot tutorial has been removed already. there is a way to decompress the ROM image but i'm not sure how. i was unable to do it on my unix box. i was able to add resco explorer, pocket plus and as well as other things. the only thing is u have to use 02 rom

alex