View Full Version : WAV attachments in Inbox

bucho
06-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Weird problem... I setup my Vonage voice mail to forward messages via email as WAV attachments. They play fine on my desktop, but for some reason Inbox on my iPAQ does not get the full message and will not play the attachment. I've tried just about anything I can think of:

- double-checked the attachment size in the account settings
- tried downloading full message and marking for download
- tried several different email accounts, POP and IMAP
- tried changing the destination for the attachments between StorageCard and Main Memory

... all no good. It will only download about 80% of the message no matter what the size is. If it's 500k, it will get 400k, if it's 50k size it will get only 40k. No errors.

Anybody else encountered similar problem? :?

I'm using iPAQ 5455 with the latest ROM upgrade.

Anthony Caruana
06-21-2003, 05:49 AM
mmm... I recall that when my company was looking at voice mail via email that the codec used to encode the wav files for not a "standard" wav codec. It was lsightly differnt as the wav files were compressed.

Did a new codec get installed when voice mial access va email was set up

Just a thought

bucho
06-21-2003, 06:25 AM
You're right!... I did a simple test by saving the attachment on the desktop and transfering the file. Still wouldn't play. If I look at the file properties on the desktop it says it's u-Law encoded audio. Judging by the input setting on the PocketPC, it only understands PCM. That sucks...

So, the question is... is there a player that can play u-Law encoded audio for the PocketPC that can also play PCM, so I can register the app for handling wav files?

Anthony Caruana
06-21-2003, 07:12 AM
Not sure about an app fr playing the wav file but I assume that the same model applies on PocketPC as it does in the desktop world. If you can get the codec then you should be able to lay it with any player. Might be worth asking the voice mail system supplier if they supply a PPC comaptible codec

Perhaps even there is a setting at the voice mail system end to encode the wav with a different codec

Regards

JonnoB
06-21-2003, 07:23 AM
Pocket PC 2002 supports the GSM compression codec. Not to be confused with mobile phone technology.

Gremmie
06-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Codec's can differ slightly, so it is possible that you need a higher end WAV player. Many of us have had to mess with the different WMV's to get them to play on the PPC. Look at Handango and download some trials.

bucho
06-21-2003, 05:16 PM
I already looked around. Searched the players and voice recorders categories and none of them seem to support the u-Law codec. This codec has been used for decades in US telephony. PCs have been able to play it since I can remember and is the native audio codec for Sun Microsystem workstations. I cannot believe that it's not possible to play u-Law encoded audio on a PocketPC, I must be missing something... Quick search for Palm shows that their audio driver supports it along with few other codecs + PCM. Now, that's a little embarassing...