View Full Version : Disgruntled User Complaining

jage
06-19-2003, 07:35 PM
So tireing this constant Microsoft this, Microsoft that drivel. I thought the site is about Pocket PCs, not constant Microsoft is the god-paean. :evil:

More insight stories, and stories how to improve our daily Pocket PC-lives. :)

Why, for example, there are always stories of the inferior technologies, like Windows Media, but ah so rarely about truly amazing ex-pocket divx player, PocketMVP?

Also, a story about Pocket PC 2003 would be welcome. :)

Jason Dunn
06-19-2003, 08:32 PM
You seem to be trolling to look for a fight, but I'll attempt to answer your flame-bait in a rational manner. :|

So tireing this constant Microsoft this, Microsoft that drivel. I thought the site is about Pocket PCs, not constant Microsoft is the god-paean. :evil:

The Pocket PC is a Microsoft operating system, hence you'll see us talk a lot about what Microsoft is doing. Why should that surprise you? If you hate Microsoft, why would you use their product? In this case, one of our Pocket PC review team members went to Tech Ed and wanted to write about it. If you don't like it, don't read it. :roll:

We always do our best to provide that. If we don't do it well enough for you, please look elsewhere for your Pocket PC content rather than complain about how poorly we're doing.

Why, for example, there are always stories of the inferior technologies, like Windows Media, but ah so rarely about truly amazing ex-pocket divx player, PocketMVP?

We've certainly posted about PocketMVP in the past (more than we ever post about Pocket Windows Media Player, that's for sure!), but I find DivX encoding to be a chore and prefer WMV encoding myself. If you prefer DivX, that's fine, but I'd certainly challenge your assertion that Windows Media is an "inferior" technology.

Also, a story about Pocket PC 2003 would be welcome. :)

Perhaps you'll see that when the press embargos and NDAs expire. :roll: Contrary to popular belief, if you want accurate insider information, you still do need to sign NDAs and respect press embargos.

Considering you've posted all of THREE times so far, you've got some pretty big balls to bash the site like you're doing. 8O

ntractv
06-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Let the church say Amen

And what has been stated many, many times. Start Your Own Site

dh
06-20-2003, 12:07 AM
I guess we would all like to know more about PPC2003 and new products but fact of life, Jason and some of the other contributers have signed non-disclosure deals with the manufacturers so end of story.

If you can be bothered to look around a bit, there's plenty of information to be found on PPC2003 and the new Ipaq (which is in stores already in some areas).

I'm sure our guys would love to tell us more if they could.

Roll on Monday is all I can say, we won't be able to shut Jason up then. (Heck, I hate to wish the weekend away!)

maximus
06-20-2003, 12:10 AM
yeah, I bet he is really busy right now, making all those 'delayed' post ... I wonder how big the traffic to this site is on monday. :D

jage
06-20-2003, 01:20 AM
You seem to be trolling to look for a fight, but I'll attempt to answer your flame-bait in a rational manner. :|

I didn't really intend to flame, but now that I reread my post, I didn't mean it to be so negative. Sorry for that.

The Pocket PC is a Microsoft operating system, hence you'll see us talk a lot about what Microsoft is doing. Why should that surprise you? If you hate Microsoft, why would you use their product? In this case, one of our Pocket PC review team members went to Tech Ed and wanted to write about it. If you don't like it, don't read it. :roll:

Well, if I read for example Yamaha motorcycle website, I wouldn't be too interested to hear about Yamaha music products.

I don't like the company much, yes, but Pocket PC is the most developed handheld platform at the moment. That's what interests me. I couldn't care less if Pocket PC is a product of Microsoft, Palm or the hell itself.

All I can say, that all this Microsoft hegemony has been pushing me away from Pocket PCs, a platform which I do like on it's own.

We always do our best to provide that. If we don't do it well enough for you, please look elsewhere for your Pocket PC content rather than complain about how poorly we're doing.

We've certainly posted about PocketMVP in the past (more than we ever post about Pocket Windows Media Player, that's for sure!), but I find DivX encoding to be a chore and prefer WMV encoding myself. If you prefer DivX, that's fine, but I'd certainly challenge your assertion that Windows Media is an "inferior" technology.

Inferior when it comes to playback, yes. WMP is easier to encode for a non-technical person, no doubt. Also, I was talking about WM on Pocket PC especially, not in general.

Considering you've posted all of THREE times so far, you've got some pretty big balls to bash the site like you're doing. 8O

Well, I've been lurking for a while, if it matters. The site is mostly pretty nice, especially for staying up to date about Pocket PCs, why else I'd check it almost every day otherwise... :)

Thinkingmandavid
06-20-2003, 02:02 AM
Hey Jason, I like your term, "flame-bate" hehe
It is hard to talk about ppc and not talk about microsof. Since it is their OS, and if they do or dont do things right this is the place to read about it and comment on it. I check other sites but I find this to be th one I visit the most. IN fact, when they were gonig to the bigger server yesterday and I couldnt read and post, I was a bit bummed :cry:

dh
06-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Hey Jason, I like your term, "flame-bate" hehe
It is hard to talk about ppc and not talk about microsof. Since it is their OS, and if they do or dont do things right this is the place to read about it and comment on it. I check other sites but I find this to be th one I visit the most. IN fact, when they were gonig to the bigger server yesterday and I couldnt read and post, I was a bit bummed :cry:

I'm the same, I used to hang out on this site when I was a Palm guy and if I end up with something other than PPC I'll still be here.

I really don't care about MS, although I use a lot of their products. Computers are just tools for me, whether for business or entertainment. I'll buy whatever I think meets my needs. (OK, I admit it, my Axim is my fun machine as well, not just a tool!)

I do like this site though, the team write some thought provoking articles and there are a lot of good people in the forums.

Kati Compton
06-20-2003, 02:54 AM
I'm the same, I used to hang out on this site when I was a Palm guy and if I end up with something other than PPC I'll still be here.
Me too. I have nowhere else to go... :cry:

;)

dlangton
06-20-2003, 03:30 AM
Inferior when it comes to playback, yes. WMP is easier to encode for a non-technical person, no doubt. Also, I was talking about WM on Pocket PC especially, not in general.

Really got to agree with you here. DivX is way superior to WMV if you work at it. There are more steps involved, and it's more complicated, but the image quality and sound fidelity for the same file size beats the crap out of WMV. Of course, it's best not to pay too much attention to the DivX guides, other than learning how it works. It's easy to do better.

Janak Parekh
06-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Well, if I read for example Yamaha motorcycle website, I wouldn't be too interested to hear about Yamaha music products.
I have to disagree with this analogy. :) We're discussing computation devices, primarily handheld ones, here, but desktops aren't that far away. A better analogy would be a motorcycle site that occasionally talks about cars. Also, note that we're not a strictly news site, but a thought, opinion and rant site as well, so we'll sometimes broaden the area because we feel it's worth talking about, and in general our readers have given an overwhelmingly positive response to off-topic posts.

--janak

Jason Dunn
06-20-2003, 04:29 AM
Inferior when it comes to playback, yes...

Things...change. :wink:

szamot
06-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Do you know why I come to you? It is simply because there is no one anywhere in the whole great world I could go to. Do you understand what I say? No one to go to. Do you conceive the desolation of the thought---no-one-to-go-to? 'CONRAD

But what if you've got no one to see and nowhere to go to? A man needs to have a somewhere. He needs it at the time when he's got to go somewhere. ' DOSTOYEVSKY

Yeah this site is all right - that's why I come here, time and time again - and all the newbies could learn a lot from it as well and I don't mean just the information about PPC but also mannerism.