View Full Version : Initial battery charging.

maximus
06-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Short question. a friend of mine just purchased a brand new axim. we charge it for 2 hours, and the light turns green. weird. I think we suppose to charge it for 4 hours ?

I remember charging my axim for almost 5 hours before the light turned green.

So, should I unplug the charger now, or let it charge for another 2 hours ?

JJSOmaha
06-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Let it charge the full 4 hours initially.

I've heard and read this in several places..."conditions" the battery correctly.

maximus
06-20-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks. So I made the right decision by leaving it overnight.

Janak Parekh
06-20-2003, 05:22 AM
Hrm.. you probably didn't have to wait, actually -- chances are the battery had some charge out of the factory, and that's why it didn't take the full 4 hours. However, overcharging will never hurt the battery. :)

--janak

maximus
06-20-2003, 05:39 AM
I dont quite understand the physics of lithium ion/polymer batteries. Are you saying that we can just stop the initial charging once the light turns green ?

vassil3427
06-20-2003, 01:26 PM
When it comes to lithium batteries you have to let it fully charge, as in the full 4 hours or maybe a bit more because otherwise all the cells inside of it haven't been moved from their production position and can limit the life and the amount of time the battery lasts before it needs recharged...

PetiteFlower
06-20-2003, 08:08 PM
That doesn't make any sense. Mine arrived fully charged, 100%. I don't remember how long it took for the light to turn green but it was less then an hour, maybe less then 30 mins. They probably charge the batteries before shipping. At any rate once the light turns green it's fully charged, keeping it plugged in after that won't hurt but it won't DO anything either!

maximus
06-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Yeah, that happened to me too. On the contrary to the 1400 mAH that took 55 hours to charge, my secondary 3400 mAH battery took like 30 minutes to green. I was kinda worried at first, but it doesnt seems to have any bad effect. *knock on wood*

Janak Parekh
06-21-2003, 02:38 AM
When it comes to lithium batteries you have to let it fully charge, as in the full 4 hours or maybe a bit more because otherwise all the cells inside of it haven't been moved from their production position and can limit the life and the amount of time the battery lasts before it needs recharged...
You need a full charge, indeed. However, I generally consider the change of the light to signify the end of this full charge, which is what most manuals seem to imply as well. I'm not sure if this is true across the board, but I've assumed so.

PF: yes, the batteries are shipped fully charged from the factory, in general.

--janak

maximus
06-21-2003, 09:54 AM
I thought that you are not supposed to store lithium ion batteries in fully charged condition ?

Janak Parekh
06-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Hm. I thought full charge was the way to be, but I guess I'm somewhat wrong. :? I consulted the ultimate battery guide (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9063), and it says that optimal storage charge for Li-Ion batteries is around 40%. That said, I don't think that's what most factories ship their batteries out with, chargewise. I've bought batteries that were definitely more than 40%. In any case, you never want to fully discharge a Li-Ion battery.

By the way, check out that link -- it's long and detailed, but it should clear up any questions you have.

--janak

maximus
06-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks. Now I understand more :)

Fzara
06-23-2003, 08:50 AM

Which is why I only get about 1 hr on a full charge with full brightness.

I let it charge for like..45 minutes, but I got too excited and too it out. LEARN FROM ME! 8O

maximus
06-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Let me know when your battery died on you. Heheh. Just kidding.