View Full Version : Which is faster: Compare CF and SD

stonepro
06-18-2003, 09:25 PM
I KNOW that this was already discussed, but I haven't run accross any threads yet...

Which memory format is faster: CF or SD?

And let's not get picky about defining "faster" :roll: -- I just want to know which one I should use in my PDA if I want programs to run fast (assuming I am installing the apps to the mem card).

TIA for the info!

JD

JonnoB
06-18-2003, 09:42 PM
CF is faster than SD - and cheaper... but if you have both, you may want to save the CF for an IO device if you need to use one.

shawnc
06-19-2003, 01:35 AM
This is just my experience based on observation, nothing real technical. I noticed a few weeks ago that my Axim seemed to be a bit sluggish (I think it was right after playing around with a co-workers Zire 71. Boy that thing flies, but I digress). Anyway, I was trying to figure out what could be causing the sluggishness, with no luck. Transferred 25% of my WMA's/MP3's from my 1G cf card to my 256MB SD card. Took my CF card out of my Axim. It's still not as fast as the Zire, but it is MUCH faster than it was. The media player responds much better when shuffling through the playlist that it did when the files were on the CF card. I realize there may be other reasons behind this, but I'll never use the CF for music/memory again. Sold the 1G cf, in the market for a 512MB SD, and will use the CF slot for wireless.

Just my thoughts...

dMores
06-19-2003, 11:44 AM
well duh! media player obviously had to sift through a quarter of the files only.

:)

CESkins
06-19-2003, 12:33 PM
...Sold the 1G cf, in the market for a 512MB SD, and will use the CF slot for wireless.
I hope you got a great price for the CF because as stated above the speed increase came from the fact that WMP had to sort through less files. The CF card was likely not to blame (unless you happened to get a bad card or a cheap one with slow components). Next time you want to sell something because of sluggishness like the 512 MB SD card, just send me a personal mail...I would be happy to take the "slow" card off your hands. :) ;)

davidspalding
06-19-2003, 03:15 PM
...Sold the 1G cf, in the market for a 512MB SD, and will use the CF slot for wireless.

Here ya go (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007L6D3/korovamultimediaA), sport. 512MB SD, fast as an oil-soaked ferret. ;)

stonepro
06-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Any idea why all of the PDA's are pushing SD? I realize the size is smaller, but is that the only reason?

Are PDA makers so happy to dump performance for size...?

trachy
06-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Any idea why all of the PDA's are pushing SD? I realize the size is smaller, but is that the only reason?

My guess is heavy lobbying from the music industry. SD has encryption support capabilities, unlike other formats. One day you may not be able to copy mp3s or wmas to other devices, or may be restricted to how many times you can copy them. This, of course, is a very broad generalization of the capabilities of SD. Read up on it more here (http://www.sdmi.org/).

Jake K
06-19-2003, 05:43 PM

Are PDA makers so happy to dump performance for size...?

SD cards also use less power, which is another reason manufacturers push SD.

shawnc
06-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear in my response but it's not just the media player that performs better. All of my applications seem to run faster without the CF card. Like I said, nothing scientific, just an observation. Davidspalding, thaks for the useful link. CESkins and dmores, try not to be so judgemental.

Janak Parekh
06-19-2003, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure the music lobby is the real reason, although they're also trying. I'm pretty sure it's size. Making a CF slot takes up a lot of real estate, especially if it's type II (which is the more popular CF slot type), and manufacturers are trying to miniaturize devices.

--janak

CESkins
06-20-2003, 01:46 AM
CESkins and dmores, try not to be so judgemental
shawnc I was not trying to be judgemental but simply saying that I don't think the CF card could account for all your speed issues unless it was faulty which is a rare thing (depending on the manufacturer of the card)...so rare in fact that I would be willing to buy the card off your hands if you were willing to let it go cheap. :) If the same problem comes back with another brand of CF card then I would have to wonder if it is the card or some other component like drivers/interface/etc.

Thinkingmandavid
06-20-2003, 01:56 AM
Ok, the less files to go through the faster it responds. We all know that, of course sometimes the stuff right in front of us we can easily miss.
But if you are having major problems, I think you should check your ppc system out and see if any fine tuning is necessary. AS mentioned above, drivers, etc....
In my thinking the SD is mainly about security, size I think was intentionally put in there. I dont know why they didnt make a greater attempt to match the speed of the CF.
It goes to show that for a while having a pda with the two is the better choice. :wink: