View Full Version : Time tracking program with QuickBooks integration

bbarker
06-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Our consulting group is moving to QuickBooks. We're looking for a time tracking program that ties into it so we can easily track the time we spend on clients' projects. Some would do this in Windows, some on a Pocket PC and others on a Palm. We don't need to run the same program on all three platforms but we do need a program for each from which we can easily move information to QuickBooks.

Does anyone have experience with such products and suggestions?

I'll be doing my tracking on a Pocket PC, which is why I'm posting this here (and maybe on another PPC site or two).

Hemi
08-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi Bbarker. I'm curious to know which time-tracking programmes (Canadian spelling) you and your consulting firm migrated to.

I'm in a similar boat as you were in June and I've found little anecdotal or any comparative review on QuickBooks-PPC/Palm integration.

Naturally I want a one-time data entry system and I plan to carry an USB-IrDA adaptor to print invoices on site (or via Bluetooth where available).

For the life of me, I don't understand why Intuit doesn't sell a PDA programme :?: ; it's a natural, either as a stand alone product or as a selling feature.

So far, I've looked seriously at 'Seconds Count' and 'Time to Time' (Seconds Count looking more polished). My plan is to find the best QuickBooks integration programme and then buy a replacement PDA (PPC or Palm).

Should you have the time, thoughts on your (and your colleagues') experience would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

bbarker
08-06-2003, 08:53 PM
We moved to QuickBooks but we haven't implemented a PDA option with it. Currently we're just using the QuickBooks timekeeper software installed on everyone's desktop computer.

I played with Time to Time a bit during the 30-day trial and I liked it, but they don't have a trial of their QuickBooks-compatible version so I don't know how that works. I'd like to give it a try but I don't want to pay $50 a copy just to see if it's for us.

I haven't heard of Seconds Count. Who makes that and where is it available?

If you make a decision I'd be interested in hearing your results as well.

G-squared
08-06-2003, 10:05 PM
You might want to look at TimeTTracker. It has QuickBook integration. http://www.rfcons.com/

JvanEkris
08-06-2003, 10:20 PM
You might want to look at TimeTTracker. It has QuickBook integration. http://www.rfcons.com/Using it daily, loving it every minute :)

Jaap

SassKwatch
08-07-2003, 07:12 AM
You might want to look at TimeTTracker. It has QuickBook integration. http://www.rfcons.com/Using it daily, loving it every minute :)
Saw your message here and dl'd a trial version of the app. At first blush, I am *very* impressed.

Do you happen to know if there are any discussion forums, email lists, or whatever covering TimeTTracker? A Google search has yet to yield anything and I don't find a Yahoo 'Group'.

JvanEkris
08-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Why should a product like this have it's own discussion forum. It works perfectly, and you can do with it what you want (have my own extension to our bookkeeping systems in Access)

jaap

SassKwatch
08-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Why should a product like this have it's own discussion forum. It works perfectly, and you can do with it what you want (have my own extension to our bookkeeping systems in Access)
Well, I can think of any number of reasons.....

Discuss 'bugs'.
Discuss 'Tips and Tricks'
Discuss 'Potential Enhancements'

...to name just a few of the more obvious. There are any number of apps with much simpler learning curves that have such a thing. Pocket Informant being one example.

bbarker
08-07-2003, 09:54 PM
TimeTracker appears to be an extensive program and it looks quite polished. It's expensive but I guess that's because the market is smaller.

Is there anything I need to know when installing it on the Pocket PC? I installed the demo and ActiveSync started having problems synchronizing with Outlook. I don't know whether that was a fluke or TT takes over your calendar in some way. I quickly uninstalled it before even trying it.

SassKwatch
08-08-2003, 02:33 AM
TimeTracker appears to be an extensive program and it looks quite polished. It's expensive but I guess that's because the market is smaller.
It would appear to me they are attempting to position themselves to compete with Standard Time (http://www.stdtime.com)......which appears to have some nice capabilities if you need MS Project integration. And is considerably more expensive than TimeTTracker.

Is there anything I need to know when installing it on the Pocket PC? I installed the demo and ActiveSync started having problems synchronizing with Outlook. I don't know whether that was a fluke or TT takes over your calendar in some way. I quickly uninstalled it before even trying it.
I did have to install ADOCE manually from the TimeTTracker folder on the Start menu before syncing was enabled. And now that it's functional, the couple times I've initiated a sync session from the desktop side of the package, it seems to have set off a full ActiveSync session...syncing Contacts, Tasks, etc in addition to the TimeTTracker d'base.

Dunno if that's by design, due to a hurried installation on my part, or just a configuration option I've not yet discovered. I *guess* that's ok, but I was expecting it to only sync the Pocket Access files when the session was initiated from desktop TT.

Other than that, my first day playing around with it and experimenting suggests it's a well designed and nicely featured app.

bbarker
08-08-2003, 10:22 PM
I did have to install ADOCE manually from the TimeTTracker folder on the Start menu before syncing was enabled. And now that it's functional, the couple times I've initiated a sync session from the desktop side of the package, it seems to have set off a full ActiveSync session...syncing Contacts, Tasks, etc in addition to the TimeTTracker d'base.
What is ADOCE?

Steven Cedrone
08-09-2003, 01:48 AM
What is ADOCE?

ActiveX Data Objects for Windows CE...

Steve

Hemi
08-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Wow! Post a question, take a few vacation days and BAM!, great suggestions. Thanks.

I'll drill through the suggested sites, evaluate, and report my thoughts.

I'm curious: Has anybody printed a Quickbooks templated Invoice 'in the Field' that includes hours from QB Time Tracking?

Also, has anybody printed a Quickbooks templated Invoice 'in the Field' that includes hours from QB Time Tracking BEFORE synching with the Windows Quickbooks??

Cheers

Hemi
08-13-2003, 09:31 PM
I haven't heard of Seconds Count. Who makes that and where is it available? If you make a decision I'd be interested in hearing your results as well.

Hi bbarker,

Fresh Perspective Software makes Seconds Count. Here's the link to this product.
http://www.fps.com/Products/Productivity/SecondsCount/SecondsCount.htm

FPS offers FULL version time-limitted demos. Currently, Seconds Count runs only on a Palm OS -- likely a category killer for you and your consulting firm.

I'll keep you posted. Hemi

Doitech
04-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I know i am a bit late to reply to this thread, but just in case you are looking for an very affortable time tracking for quickbooks, you may want to look at http://www.doitech.com at $9.95

with optional addon
wifi & internet sync at $9.95
mulitple timer

DoiTech