View Full Version : Monks Get Back Into the Printing Business

Crystal Eitle
06-18-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59256,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wired.com/news/business/...7,59256,00.html</a><br /><br /></div>A <a href="http://www.lasermonks.com/default.htm">Cistercian monastery in Wisconsin</a> has decided to start selling remanufactured ink cartridges at a steep discount -- under the name LaserMonks -- to fund its charitable giving and operations. They are one of a number of outfits selling remanufactured ink cartridges on the Web, which isn't surprising considering the outrageous prices printer manufacturers charge for ink cartridges. "Hewlett-Packard, the biggest maker of printers, derived $918 million, or 76 percent, of its operating profit in its most recent quarter from its imaging and printing business." (No wonder they practically give the printers away for free - they get you on the ink subscription plan).<br /><br />"'A Canon or Epson inkjet that they're selling for $20 or $25, we've got it for like $3 or $4,'" said Bernard McCoy, one of the monks who is leading the project. McCoy said his hope for the business is to be able to support the Abbey's operating expenses and charitable giving, which together run about $120,000 annually. If things really take off, any additional profits will be given to charity."

ctmagnus
06-19-2003, 12:23 AM
:way to go:

I don't do much hardcopy printing though, especially since I started using RepliGo.

bdegroodt
06-19-2003, 12:49 AM
I think there's better profit to be had in brandy. :D

possmann
06-19-2003, 01:27 PM
:beer: Monks also did a lot of good with Bier - Germany.... mmmmm

But this is great - they could easily ask more for their cartridges and I still think people would buy them. Going to get the next refil for my Epson 740 through this website...

RedRamage
06-19-2003, 03:41 PM
I've been told that you should never use the refill products with photopaper as the chemical mix will not be the same and therefore the picture will not end up looking as good.

Now, I was told this by an employee at CompUSA, so I don't know if he was being totally honest or if, perhaps, he was, just slightly, maybe a little bias. Any truth to the above statement?

gorkon280
06-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Now, I was told this by an employee at CompUSA, so I don't know if he was being totally honest or if, perhaps, he was, just slightly, maybe a little bias. Any truth to the above statement?

THIS line should have been your clue. CompUSA folks know diddly squat. I had one guy tell me (when I saw a stack of Toshiba e550g's sitting in the clearance cage) that Toshiba has discontinued this thing even though I see TONS of them still on all the web sites and in other stores.

Only way I see this as being a problem is if your stuck with or are using THEIR photo paper. I have not used HP paper since I ran out of samples. I bought a stack of Kodak. Now I have not used refills, but I have not found many either. If their dirt cheap, why the heck not! :)