View Full Version : PLEASE HELP A FELLOW NERD! Cable router...

David Prahl
06-18-2003, 03:43 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I love my cable internet. Speeds up to 3mbps, great e-mail, etc.

To be able to connect my Axim X5 to the web via 802.11b, I'm using a Dell Truemobile 1184 wireless router/switch. (Free from work!)

I installed everything, and all was well. Until I tried to get on the web. :( The machine that the modem was originally hooked up to cannot access the web, but a laptop hooked up to the router/switch CAN! :?

So please, help out a fellow nerd and give me some help! I already ordered the wi-fi CF card for my PPC!
I can give more information if needed.

THANK YOU!

droppedd
06-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Assuming the desktop is now plugged in to the appropriate port on the router... chances are when you set up your network settings for the modem originally, your ISP told you to change some settings (maybe DNS servers or whatever to manual, who knows, varies by ISP). Try going into network settings and setting pretty much everything to auto, or check your router's (or pretty much any router's) instructions for exactly what to change your network settings to. If that don't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the network card drivers to clear out the settings.

jeremyweisser
06-18-2003, 05:39 AM
I would not go as far as removing the NICs drivers. Just go into Network settings and then check to make sure your IP settings are correct. Your Router is probably configured differently than your machine was. Most likely there is an IP conflict between the two, could be that your desktop is configured to use the ip the router is now using.

Pony99CA
06-18-2003, 10:02 AM
To be able to connect my Axim X5 to the web via 802.11b, I'm using a Dell Truemobile 1184 wireless router/switch. (Free from work!)

I installed everything, and all was well. Until I tried to get on the web. :( The machine that the modem was originally hooked up to cannot access the web, but a laptop hooked up to the router/switch CAN! :?
When I got my new laptop, I couldn't get on the Web, either. It turned out that I had set the Gateway setting on my laptop to my ISP's gateway IP address, but I should have set it to my router's IP address.

Steve

David Prahl
06-18-2003, 02:31 PM
:? No luck yet...

So my desktop's Gateway should be the IP address of the router?

I went through the network settings on the laptop (which does work), and the desktop settings are the same.

It's not practical to unplug the wi-fi router to get on the web via ethernet, and unplug it to get wi-fi on my PPC.

Does anyone here have a cable ISP or use a Dell router?

David Prahl
06-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Wow. That was simple!

I was going to buy a wireless adapter, or reformat the hard drive, but installing a new PCI NIC did it!

Just uninstalled all the drivers, and re-installed an older driver.

THANKS FOR THE HELP, EVERYONE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: