View Full Version : On the subject of memory management?

ralliart12
06-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi guyz, I was wondering on the memory management system of the PPC OS. Under 'Settings'>'System'>'Memory', it was mentioned that "Memory is managed automatically. To temporarily adjust the allocation of..., move the slider...".

It got me thinking. Does it imply that even when we adjust the memory allocation manually, the OS will revert to automatic allocation adjustment after that? & in what scenarios does one need to adjust memory allocation manually?

Btw, I do notice something with the slider: I'm unable to get a near-perfect division of memory allocation between 'Storage' & 'Program'; i.e. I've 62.91mb in total, so a near perfect division would be around 31.45mb on either side. But no matter how carefully I adjust the slider, the closest I can obtain is 31.31mb & 31.60mb. Is there a workaround for this? Not that it matters much, but hey, I'm just curious.

Pony99CA
06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Under 'Settings'>'System'>'Memory', it was mentioned that "Memory is managed automatically. To temporarily adjust the allocation of..., move the slider...".

[...]

Does it imply that even when we adjust the memory allocation manually, the OS will revert to automatic allocation adjustment after that? & in what scenarios does one need to adjust memory allocation manually?

I believe that is the implication. If you get an error from a program saying it needs more memory, that's when you adjust memory manually and restart the application.

However, when the memory footprint changes, I think the OS will resume automatic management.

Btw, I do notice something with the slider: I'm unable to get a near-perfect division of memory allocation between 'Storage' & 'Program'; i.e. I've 62.91mb in total, so a near perfect division would be around 31.45mb on either side. But no matter how carefully I adjust the slider, the closest I can obtain is 31.31mb & 31.60mb. Is there a workaround for this? Not that it matters much, but hey, I'm just curious.
I suspect that has something to do with the precision of the slider control.

Steve