View Full Version : OT: SD/CF adapter

Jeff Rutledge
06-16-2003, 06:12 PM
I've looked around and can't find the answer I'm looking for, so it's time to tap the intellectual keg that is PPCT.

Is there an adapter available that will allow me to use an SD memory card in my digital camera? I'm looking at getting the Canon Powershot S50 camera. It has a CF slot (assume Type 1?). I don't have any CF cards, but have a few SD cards. I'd like to be able to use my SD card in the camera with an adapter. That way I could just remove the card from the camera, slap it into my iPAQ and share the pics.

Could it be that simple?

PS: Sorry if this is on the newbie side, but I don't know much about digital cameras, etc...

WindWalker
06-16-2003, 07:01 PM
They exist, but I can't verify how well they will work with your camera.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digi-superstore/coad.html

Crystal Eitle
06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Why not get a camera that takes SD cards? (I know, Canons are the best, but there are still other options out there).

Canon is coming out with an Elph that takes SD. I don't know when, though.

Crystal Eitle
06-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Have you looked at the Pentax Optio S or the Canon EX-Z3? Those are both good quality cameras that take SD.

I went through this recently because I wanted an SD camera. My other criteria were that it be teeny-tiny and have no shutter lag. I wound up with a Casio EX-M2, which is pretty good for what it is (but not spectacular).

Crystal Eitle
06-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Waitaminnit - you have a Dell? That means you have dual slots. I'd say go ahead and go with the Canon. CF memory is cheap, way cheaper than SD. And that way you know you have a card just for pictures - and you can still pop it into your PPC for picture viewing!

Jeff Rutledge
06-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Why not get a camera that takes SD cards? (I know, Canons are the best, but there are still other options out there).

Canon is coming out with an Elph that takes SD. I don't know when, though.

Well, the main reason is that I'm not that familiar with digital cameras so I'd like to minimize the risk of spending a bunch of money that doesn't do what I want. This especially difficult because I'm not completely sure what I want.

A good friend has the S40 and loves it. He bought it for the same reason I am (when he found out his wife was pregnant) and his tastes are always close to my own. So while I'm not married to the S50, I'm definitely comfortable with that decision.

Have you looked at the Pentax Optio S or the Canon EX-Z3? Those are both good quality cameras that take SD.

I found the Pentax and it looks pretty interesting (I do like the lens cover on the Canon though). I can't find the EX-Z3 anywhere. Maybe it's not available in Canada.

Waitaminnit - you have a Dell? That means you have dual slots. I'd say go ahead and go with the Canon. CF memory is cheap, way cheaper than SD. And that way you know you have a card just for pictures - and you can still pop it into your PPC for picture viewing!

Actually, my wife and I both have iPAQ's. She has a 1910 and I have a 3870 (likely to become a 5550). I already have a few SD cards so that helps. In fact, I have a 128MB SD card just lying around.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is try out the adapter Windwalker posted above to see if it works (it was only $12). I'll test it with my friend's S40. If it works, I'll probably go ahead and buy the S50. My wife isn't due until December so I have a bit of time.

It's nice to know there's some knowledge out there though as this is a totally new area for me.

Thanks for all your help!

Crystal Eitle
06-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Here's a good site for learning about digital cameras:

http://www.dcresource.com/

If you're not sure which camera you want, I also recommend getting one from a store, snapping some pictures, and returning it if it's not the right one (just make sure you keep all the packaging!). I returned two different cameras before buying the Casio.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a Canon, though. They take great pictures. I hope the adapter works out.

Jeff Rutledge
06-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the site. I'll definitely check it out.

Good suggestion with the packaging. I am one who generally tosses it right away (even though I should know better). I'll make sure I hang on to it for a while this time.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a Canon, though. They take great pictures. I hope the adapter works out.

It's being shipped ground from the US so who knows how long it will take to get here, but I'll let you know how I fair.

TobyWong
06-16-2003, 08:48 PM
JR you should check out future shop, they carry alot of digital cams and have a very liberal return policy (aka loaner program). Last time I checked it was 30 days no questions asked (verify this for yourself). I would recommend pick one up, try it out, take your time and if you don't like it just swap it for another.

Janak Parekh
06-16-2003, 10:06 PM
That adapter, most likely, won't work. :( The reason is because the SD card almost definitely sticks out the back. Unless your camera has "extra space" there, you'll be in trouble.

There is only one adapter, to my knowledge, that offers "flush" mounting SD cards in the adapter, and I posted on it a while ago (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5990). Unfortunately, it's not easily available in our hemisphere.

--janak

Anthony Caruana
06-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Semsons have a CF to SD/MMC/MS/SM adaptor. I am in the process of reviewing one. It worked with the iPAQ I just sold and Jornada 548. I am currently testing it wth my digital camera (an old Kodak DC3200).

The adaptor is a little longer that a PCMCIA card so ti will protrude from your camera quite a bit.

Hope this helps
Anthony

maximus
06-17-2003, 02:06 PM
If you really want to get serious over digital photography, you really should visit http://www.dpreview.com/.

If you want a good consumer camera with SD card ... Minolta F300 it is.
A good consumer camera with CF card ? ... Nikon Coolpix 5700 it is.
A superb Digital SLR ? This is a highly debatable subject, but personally, i'll go with Sigma SD9.

:D

Jeff Rutledge
06-18-2003, 06:18 AM
That adapter, most likely, won't work. :( The reason is because the SD card almost definitely sticks out the back. Unless your camera has "extra space" there, you'll be in trouble.

There is only one adapter, to my knowledge, that offers "flush" mounting SD cards in the adapter, and I posted on it a while ago (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5990). Unfortunately, it's not easily available in our hemisphere.

--janak

Shoot! :drinking:

From the picture, it looked like the SD card was inserted. Now that I look closer it doesn't appear to be the case. Oh well, at least it's only $12(US).

I think I'm going to have to decide how important SD is. I was really looking forward to just being able to pop my card out of the camera into my iPAQ and share pics that way. Now it looks like my choice is to either manually move the pics around or buy a camera with an SD slot.

Or maybe I should just buy the 2200 instead of the 5500 as my next iPAQ. :lol:

jrecampbell
10-27-2003, 03:51 PM

--janak

This is going back quite some time, but do you know if a flush SDIO Bluetooth card would work in a CF/SD adaptor? I couldn't see this answer in your other thread either. Thanks.

ledpocket
11-03-2003, 04:28 AM
I have a cf type 1 sd card adapter made by Minolta. It was about $50 us and I got it from pc-connection:

LINK (http://shop.pcconnection.com/web/Shopping/Product.htm?catalog%5Fname=PCCGeneral&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=448303&variant%5Fid=&SearchLogID=%7B069B97B7%2D9944%2D431B%2DBCC7%2DCE45763A3611%7D)

the sd card fits completely within it.

Jeff Rutledge
11-03-2003, 04:36 AM
I have a cf type 1 sd card adapter made by Minolta. It was about $50 us and I got it from pc-connection:

LINK (http://shop.pcconnection.com/web/Shopping/Product.htm?catalog%5Fname=PCCGeneral&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=448303&variant%5Fid=&SearchLogID=%7B069B97B7%2D9944%2D431B%2DBCC7%2DCE45763A3611%7D)

the sd card fits completely within it.

When the SD card is in the adapter, does it stick out at all? I can't really tell from the picture.