View Full Version : Green Blinking Light?

piperpilot
06-13-2003, 03:47 PM
On my iPAQ 5455, there is a light next to the power switch that blinks red when the devices is charging. For some strange reason, the light is now blinking green. Does anyone know what this means? I did the ROM update earlier this week and didn't have any problems until now. As an aside, I haven't noticed any improvements promised by the ROM update either. In fact, I now get less reception on the WLAN than I did before the update. Hmmmm . . . . Anyway, if anyone can "enlighten" me on the green blinking light issue, I sure would appreciate it.

rhmorrison
06-13-2003, 03:53 PM
RED = Charging
GREEN = FULLY charged

piperpilot
06-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Even if it's blinking? In the past, the red light stayed on (no blinking) when the device was fully charged.

Jason Dunn
06-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Isn't the green light an alarm notice?

piperpilot
06-13-2003, 04:27 PM

It's possible, except that I don't have any alarms set.

Jason Dunn
06-13-2003, 04:50 PM

It's possible, except that I don't have any alarms set.

Does it go away with a soft reset? Doesn't it mention what this feature is in the manual?

rhmorrison
06-13-2003, 05:08 PM
You can get the hp iPAQ pocket PC h5455 Manuals (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?locale=en_US&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=296075) to see that:
amber flash - charging
amber solid - charged
green flash - alarm, calander, event

Chris Spera
06-13-2003, 08:54 PM
the green light is an alarm.

I have noticed that with the 5400's there seems to be a problem with alarms staying on top. Sometimes WisBar will catch them and will put them back on top; but most times will not. They simply evaporate; but the light still blinks green.

It will eventually stop... but not after winking at you for a while.

I hope that this is resolved by HP in PPC 2003 for the 5400.

(PS: This was my 200th Post here on Thoughts! Say Jason, this comes with a matching set of Steak Knives, doesn't it?? :multi: )

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Anthony Caruana
06-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Flashing amber means device is charging
Solis amber means device is charged
Flashing green means that you have received anew email (can happen when you sync an unread email) or some other calendar or task has been set to alarm

If an alarm goes off this mill mean the green will flash until you deal with it regardless of the charging status

At least thats what my 3850 did

Regards
Anthony

nosmohtac
06-17-2003, 06:22 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. My 3970 did the same thing.

I didn't have it syncing email and I had no alarms set or calander events coming up, but it would start blinking amber when in the cradle, and then at some point switch to blinking green. It would quit blinking with a soft reset, but start back up after being on the charger.

I dit the ROM update and haven't had a problem since.

piperpilot
06-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I had no alarms set or calander events coming up, but it would start blinking amber when in the cradle, and then at some point switch to blinking green. It would quit blinking with a soft reset, but start back up after being on the charger. I did the ROM update and haven't had a problem since.

That's exactly what happens with mine, but for me, the problem started after I did the ROM update . . . and now, there's a new wrinkle to this mysterious problem: this morning when I removed the AC adapter from charging overnight, the amber light stayed on even though the device was powered off. I had to do a soft reset to get it to stop. Weird. :?

Chris Spera
06-17-2003, 01:07 PM
the amber light stayed on even though the device was powered off. I had to do a soft reset to get it to stop. Weird. :?

I have also seen this problem on my 5455. This has got to be a bug in the new ROM. I have also noticed that since the ROM Upgrade, the device doesn't always see that it has been given AC power, and won't start charging like it did before the upgrade.

Christopher Spera

karinatwork
06-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Green is alarm. But it doesn't make sense to me. For me, the best way to go is the way my old E-125 was working:

Orange = charging
Green = fully charged
Blinking red = alarm

That was easy to understand and not annoying like the orange blinking light I get when my Ipaq is charging. Oh well. Another good thing I had to give up for a much better form factor... ;)

that_kid
06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
I've had this happen with my 5450 a few times. I've even had it happen to a 5450 that I just performed a hard reset on. No calendar info in the device but the light was flashing. A soft reset took care of it but it was strange.