View Full Version : ActiveSync 3.7 and WinME

trachy
06-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Anyone using 3.7 with WinME? After I read of the problems some people were having I decided to hold off a while. Unfortunately, the version I'm using on my laptop right now, 3.5, is causing my network connection to drop after the iPAQ has been cradled a while. I'm thinking of finally upgrading to see if 3.7 will cure my problems.

FYI, I don't think the problem is my iPAQ, as I recently did a hard reset and am still getting the drops. Of course, it could just be something with WinME, but I never lose my connection unless I cradle the iPAQ.

- Drew

Crystal Eitle
06-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Windows ME is the devil. Do not use it.

trachy
06-13-2003, 04:16 PM
:lol: I've been using ME on this old laptop of mine for over two years now. I grant you it's evil, but I'm too cheap to purchase XP. I need the networking capabilities so I'd have to go with XP Pro, which just costs too much. I'll be getting a better deal just buying a new laptop that comes with it pre-installed.

orangehat
06-13-2003, 05:03 PM
I agree with Crystal Eitle. I'd rather run DOS then ME.
ME wasn't released, it escaped.

aroma
06-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Windows ME is the devil. Do not use it.

"She's not the debil, Momma!"
- Bobby Boucher

The Yaz
06-13-2003, 06:23 PM
If you are stuck with Windows ME, you do not want to upgrade to activesync 3.7 unless you are willing reformat the hard drive and reinstall the factory os.

I learned my lesson when I first installed activesync 3.6. Ran into terrible error messages about "missing link allocations" which did not go away when I uninstalled activesync.

Once I renistalled Windows ME, activesync 3.6 loaded and worked fine. When 3.7 was posted, I reformatted as a precaution. So far so good.

I agree with other posters that for the trouble of reformatting the laptop you might do better upgrading to XP, but I stick with ME because I don't mind the challenge.

Steve 8)

trachy
06-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Well, I took the plunge and did the upgrade to 3.7. It went off without a hitch, and so far so good. I've been able to sync up without issue, and I've left the iPAQ in the cradle for a couple of hours without the network connection dropping. Also, I was able to sync my PocketQuicken data, which I seem to remember people having problems with after upgrading.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood.