View Full Version : Pump Up the Volume - Or Scale it Back a Notch - Free Volume Control Utility

Crystal Eitle
06-12-2003, 07:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=76665' target='_blank'>http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...productId=76665</a><br /><br /></div>Someone named Warwick wrote in to tell us about a free utility he (or she?) developed for Pocket PC that lets you fine-tune the volume on your device. Warwick writes, "I got sick of the severely stepped volume controls and the boring square replacements. So I wrote VolumeCtrl; it's a cool looking rounded window with a 0 - 100 percent volume level. It uses the maximum steps the device can handle so you can fine tune your volume as best as your device will allow."<br /><br />You can get VolumeCtrl <a href="http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=76665">here</a>. Unzip it and copy the .exe to your Pocket PC. I suggest copying it to a place you'll be able to find it easily, such as your Start menu or Launcher (if you use one). I found it very speedy to use - much snappier than the built-in volume control, which tends to be sluggish. It's nice to have finer gradations of volume available; I tried it with Windows Media Player and was very impressed with the results.

thanos255
06-12-2003, 08:10 PM
This little app sounds great...but when I put it on my pda and ran it...it SEEMED to screw up the touchscreen. Meaning when I touched one icon on the sceeen, it would actually start something else....very wierd.

I removed the little app and it fixed the problem... :(

Hope this is fixed sometime.

Thanks
Thanos

R K
06-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey Crystal,
Once again, I want to express how thankful I am about the freeware updates.

I do realize that freeware may compromise the profit potential that affiliate-linked software may have for Pocket PC Thoughts, but it would be great to get freeware whenever possible, and save the trialware for things that you just can't get in the freeware camp.
I think this can make everybody happy, but of course this is only my viewpoint.
Once again, thanks to Crystal and Pocket PC Thoughts for the sudden surge of freeware updates.

Warwick
06-12-2003, 10:41 PM
I would like to hear more about your problem thanos255. Can you send me an email through the support link on the download page with some more details please.

it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Warwick.

Enderet
06-12-2003, 10:47 PM
NM

Crystal Eitle
06-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Enderet, this is scary if true. Thanks for the warning. I've had no problems with it on my machine so far though. Hopefully the name thing is just a weird coincidence.

R K, thanks for the mad props. However, I don't think there's a conspiracy to keep freeware off the site - Jason's just a busy guy, and doesn't have time to post everything that comes along. But he's the one who encouraged me to post on this one, so he deserves credit as well.

As someone who pays for all commercial software I own (as well as eBooks), I get really excited when good freeware comes along. So that's why I like to post on it. I think the best solutions for most PPC users are probably a combination of commercial and freeware apps.

Jason Dunn
06-12-2003, 11:02 PM
However, I don't think there's a conspiracy to keep freeware off the site - Jason's just a busy guy, and doesn't have time to post everything that comes along.

There's definitely NO conspiracy!! 8O The reality is that most freeware developers are very passive about their marketing efforts, and simply don't tell us about their applications. We don't have the time to go out and look for freeware applications (well, I don't) so we very much rely on our readers and developers to tell us about interesting software that they find.

If you find it, and we like the looks of it, we'll post on it! :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
06-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Enderet, that sounds like a bizarre coincidence. Do you have any links about this discussion? I've read Maledorito's posts and that doesn't sound like him.

--janak

Warwick
06-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Thank you to PocketPCThoughts for taking the time to write a post about my program.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

Cheers,
Warwick.

Enderet
06-13-2003, 12:05 AM
:?

Warwick
06-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Wow the downloads are climbing :)

R K
06-13-2003, 12:31 AM
But he's the one who encouraged me to post on this one, so he deserves credit as well.

Agreed--that's why I addressed Pocket PC Thoughts in that thank you post, but perhaps it was a bit too broad.
:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: Thanks Jason. :D :mrgreen: :D

If you find it, and we like the looks of it, we'll post on it! :mrgreen:
Gotcha

All I can say to this is..
Sorry if it feels like you're being hammered Warwick. I can understand both sides though since people tend to get cautious when they've been burnt once before, but of course it's not fair that you're judged preemptively for a great freeware app that has a few bugs.

I think I have the same Pocket PC that Thanos has so I'll see if I can find the same bug Thanos has.

Warwick
06-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Thats life, I can take it, truth is this was a program for me to use. I only released it so other people could enjoy it. Its free so you cant expect the same quality as a comercial app but I am happy to work with anyone who has a problem, or even would like something added.

I can only state once again, if anyone has a problem please email me some details that I can work with, more than SEEMED to mess with the screen. PLEASE give me some details.

Cheers,
Warwick (My first name not my last)

Sonic Blue
06-13-2003, 01:06 AM
:)

All I can say is thank you Warwick for this wonderful submission to the Pocket PC Community. Keep up the good work :!:

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 01:56 AM
I am using this volume program with no issues as of yet. I actually like it much better than the "stock" WisBar volume so I redirected the volume icon to open your program instead of WisBars.

So far so good, I like it and see no immediate issues. If nothing else it is infinitely cooler than any other volume pop up tat there is!!

Good work!! And thanks for posting it as freeware!!!!! :rock on dude!:

I wish I could program so I could do some small programs like this one :werenotworthy:

Janak Parekh
06-13-2003, 02:41 AM
http://forums.pocketmatrix.com/viewtopic.php?t=10826&postdays=0&postorder=&highlight=maledorito&start=0
Enderet, your thread gives much more credence to Warwick not being Maledorito, and I don't think it's worth belaboring the point. Warwick's site is www.isglobal.com.au, and it looks like very professional work. He's been written up in ZDNet Australia (http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/communications/story/0,2000048620,20271418,00.htm).

Warwick, I also thank you very much for your contribution to this community - it's very much appreciated. :)

--janak

Crystal Eitle
06-13-2003, 02:43 AM
I actually like it much better than the "stock" WisBar volume so I redirected the volume icon to open your program instead of WisBars.
How did you do this?

Enderet
06-13-2003, 02:45 AM
:roll:

Sonic Blue
06-13-2003, 03:05 AM
8)

Enderet
06-13-2003, 03:09 AM
:|

Janak Parekh
06-13-2003, 03:14 AM
Sonic Blue, Enderet:

Please take this discussion off-line; we're getting off-topic.

Thanks.

--janak

Paragon
06-13-2003, 03:24 AM
Sorry if this is off topic, but I just want to mention that I bought one of Warwick's apps way back when, and I still every once in a while get an email notifying me of an upgrade or minor improvement. I really don't think that is the actions of someone out to scam anyone.

Dave

R K
06-13-2003, 03:33 AM
Hey Warwick, I have an iPAQ H5450 and your app works great.
I was wondering if you'd consider adding the ability to raise or lower the volume with the directional pad since you have to be very accurate with the stylus to adjust the volume to the last percent.

Warwick
06-13-2003, 03:34 AM
OK Back on topic :D

Some Improvements that have been suggested include Positioning, Balance (although I dont think this is possible), Hardware button mapping for volume control.

I want to add a little fake flashing LED.

Any other suggestions from users?

Cheers,
Warwick.

Fzara
06-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Sonic Blue, Enderet:

Please take this discussion off-line; we're getting off-topic.

Thanks.

--janak

Thank You.

I would also like to know how you were able to re-direct the volume icon to this program. So far, I dont see much use for this program, since it needs to be executed in order to change any of the controls.

Warwick, for your next release, please include an installer and a formal registry installation.

Thank You

Warwick
06-13-2003, 03:46 AM
I have looked into the redirection and its not easily possible, I have it mapped to a hardware button and access it that way. I could do it but it would mean hacking the system and that may cause some serious instability which I would like to avoid.

As for the installer/uninstaller, no problems Ill put it in the next update.

R K
06-13-2003, 04:24 AM
I have looked into the redirection and its not easily possible, I have it mapped to a hardware button and access it that way. I could do it but it would mean hacking the system and that may cause some serious instability which I would like to avoid.

As for the installer/uninstaller, no problems Ill put it in the next update.

Any comment on changing the volume with the D-pad?

goirish!!
06-13-2003, 04:43 AM
I actually like it much better than the "stock" WisBar volume so I redirected the volume icon to open your program instead of WisBars.
How did you do this?

OOOOPPSSS......Icbar not WisBar (although basically the same)

Goto settings, find the volume control tab; browse to this program and make it the target rather than using the program default. I've got my volume icon set to mute on tap and open Volume Control on hold.

I'm actually running Icbar v1.1 Beta 1 at this time. Had more features than Wisbar. HUGE discussion on Brighthand (long running thread with the developer - 40+ pages)

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=05357418b8a0e8ccc970d976bf5cf0fd&threadid=48201&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

ctmagnus
06-13-2003, 05:00 AM
Some Improvements that have been suggested include... Balance (although I dont think this is possible)

It's possible, at least on older iPaqs. At least one app I've used can change the balance on my 3670.

Warwick
06-13-2003, 05:46 AM
Ill look into balance a bit more then, I have not been able to set different volumes for each chanel on my 3870 yet though.

Will keep you posted on results.

Thanks for the input,
Warwick.

Warwick
06-13-2003, 06:42 AM
I have added the up/down pad control, I decided against button mapping due to other programs needing to take the mapping back when they are run, instead when VolumeCtrl is active (On top and visible) you can raise or lower the volume with the up/down.

Anyone willing to test it out for me is welcome to email me for an advance copy, I have tested it on my 3870 so people with other devices would be appreciated.

I also added the Fake flashing LED just for fun, it made me happy to see the little blinker. LOL

Ill update the download in a day or two with an installer, but I seriously need to get some real work done now.

Cheers,
Warwick (Might change my name to Homer or something, j/k)

Juha N.
06-13-2003, 07:18 AM
ctmagnus: which application have you used to control balance in ipaq. I have looked after one for my 3630, but did not find any.

Cheers,

Juha

Warwick
06-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Ok, I have created a small program that tests for the ability to change left and right volume changes, seems I was wrong, my 3870 does suport it.

I will work on this and try to get it working, will need to redo the look and size to get a balance slider to fit in there. Ill try and come up with something even freakier looking and realy cool.

Cheers.

egoz
06-13-2003, 04:00 PM
I just installed this app.

What can i say? A very, very (very) hot interface.

Someone knows what they're doing UI wise.

:wink:

[email protected]

Andy Roberts
06-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Nice app!!

Jonathon Watkins
06-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Welcome Andy. Nice colourfull Avatar there. :D

You know the old tech support joke about users?

"Ah, I see the problem now Sir. What we have is an ID 10 t problem. I'm going to write that down in the call records so the next Techie has a good idea of what he is dealing with"

ID10T!! :lol:

Just downloaded the volume app and will try it soon. :)

ipaq38vette
06-14-2003, 03:19 PM
First- great app. I have two suggestions. First, include both an uninstaller/installer and keep the .cab files available for us wireless PPC users. Second, if this is possible, have an auto volume control. Use the mic to determine the surronding noise level. When the surronding noise goes up, set the volume to automaticly go up. When noise goes down, bring the volume down. That would be a great feature when listening to PPC music in a car or when out jogging/biking, etc.

goirish!!
06-14-2003, 04:09 PM
First- great app. I have two suggestions. First, include both an uninstaller/installer and keep the .cab files available for us wireless PPC users. Second, if this is possible, have an auto volume control. Use the mic to determine the surronding noise level. When the surronding noise goes up, set the volume to automaticly go up. When noise goes down, bring the volume down. That would be a great feature when listening to PPC music in a car or when out jogging/biking, etc.

I'm not into programming but is this actually possible?? How would the PPC be able to determine the outside noise levels and decide when to turn up the volume??

I'm not saying it's not possible I just didn't know that you could write that type of code. :?:

Janak Parekh
06-14-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm not into programming but is this actually possible?? How would the PPC be able to determine the outside noise levels and decide when to turn up the volume??
Actually, this is an interesting and potentially a very practical idea: since most Pocket PCs have microphones, it's just a matter of assuming what's heard on the mics is background noise (one could also do time-averaging to take care of spikes, like sudden speech). However, the one downside is that this will probably drain the battery a little faster. Still, I'd love to see someone give this a try.

--janak

ctmagnus
06-14-2003, 09:35 PM
I have two suggestions. First, include both an uninstaller/installer

No. please don't. IMO, it is an absolutely beautiful thing when a program runs right out of the box, no installation necessary. As it is, you just stick the exe somewhere and maybe put a shortcut to it somewhere else. In my experience, this program does not modify any other part of the operating system when it is copied to the PPC and used. I applaud :clap: :clap: :clap: and hail :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: Warwick for creating this appliction in the manner (s)he did. IMO, a standalone program like this that doesn't require any other files and does not modify the OS or registry in any way by far deserves some mind of award. I have seen far to many applications that stick garbage all over the system when they're used, even if they're just simple exe's that you copy over.

Have you ever gone poking through your registry and seen keys/values pointing to some litle app that you copied over to the PPC and used once, six months ago? The stuff that the simplest application can leave lying around is absolutey amazing, and any application that runs without leaving fingerprints all over everything is the model upon which all other applications should be based.

Just my $.02

However, almost everything else that ipaq38vette listed would definitely require an installer, registry hooks, etc just to avoid extreme code bloat. So I respect that opinion also. But then I imagine that we'd be heading off into payware territory with those features in this app, which would kinda defeat the purpose of a free volume control utility, :wink:

Andy Roberts
06-14-2003, 10:33 PM
an auto sound control, hmmmm that might help to drain out my voice while I sing along to my WMA's!

Warwick
06-14-2003, 11:04 PM
WOW interesting thought there, might be something to think about, and yeh it would drain the battery ever so slightly more.

As far as the installer, all ctmagnus pointed out is true, the app can be copied over and removed with zero residue, adding something as simple as dragging with position memory would leave an entry in the registry when the app is removed.

I left it without an installer because its just one file and I thought this would be the most popular way. from the 1200 or so downloads I have only had about 5 or so requests for an installer.

I have uploaded the updated version that has the up/down support so try it out.

Seraph1m
06-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Cheers to Warwick for this sweet looking app! :D
:idea: but i have 2 ideas! :idea:
1. Have it optionable for the volume to be sensitive to background noise.
2. If you get the balance control to work, map it to the left/right DPad

I know they sound mundane but i though they were good :|

Warwick
06-23-2003, 12:06 AM
I have done some small upates, mainly some button mapping and stuff. Check out the download link for it.

ctmagnus
06-23-2003, 05:06 AM
Is it possible to replace the stock volume control with this, short of using WISbar/Icbar or similar?

Warwick
06-23-2003, 09:53 AM
I have looked into this and it isnt easy, so Ill say no for now, but might change that later.

Cheers.