View Full Version : ppc 2003

ppc4life
06-11-2003, 05:22 PM
with the new release of the pocket pc 2003 os, has anyone heard how, or even if Dell is planning to offer it?

Sunnyone
06-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Nope, Dell has been amazingly quiet. I'm waiting, too! :wink:

Janak Parekh
06-11-2003, 07:36 PM
I think it's more accurate to say every manufacturer has been quiet about future releases, except for HP's little accidental mention on a side-site of theirs. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

--janak

SlimDady
06-11-2003, 09:08 PM
I contacted dell suport by email about it... i dont think they understood what I was saying.

I asked with the release of pocket pc2003 will dell be providing an rom update for their customers..

They thought i was asking like how do i install it.. not if they will provide it for us

So they said somthing about contacting a certain software support thing and crap.

I dunno.. all i learned from that is that their support people dont know wtf is going on

maximus
06-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Most professional customer service call centers operate on scripts. The staffs must follow a pre-made script when handling calls. They dont have the liberty of saying something out of their own knowledge. This is mostly to avoid unnecessary wrong interpretation on the subject. So, the person that you called might has extensive knowledge regarding PPC2003, he/she might be on the team that actually field test a working model of PPC2003, but he/she is silenced by NDAs.

jlp
06-12-2003, 06:08 PM
I recently ordered an Axim X5.

Today I called my representative who was absent and got a co-worker answer, not.

I must say I'm in Switzerland, Europe.

I was saying that since I recently ordered my Axim and that it should be sent around the time of the release of PPC2k3 if it would come with the new OS already installed.

He gave me a bunch of wrong answers: not possible, I said yes it has flash ROM, he said since its a ROM it's not upgradable, I said yes it's flash ROM, he said it was announced in the US, but we'll have it in 6 months, I said it's software so it should be much quicker and since I ordered an Axim with a US ROM it should be available sooner; he said all European devices are manufactured in Ireland, from a different place than US devices, I said it's not a PC it's a Pocket PC and it's manufactured by a Taiwanese company, he said no, all European devices are assembled in Ireland, etc. etc.

So apparently the guy didn't know d@m squat.

When I asked if he could find the information as the new OS was already announced and the release date just less than a couple of weeks away he said it was impossible, they are informed automatically as soon as new information becomes available, that the European decision unit is located in the UK and that it's impossible to climb up the ladder to get such an information.

Just a waste of time.

I'll patiently wait until the information is officially announced by Dell.

Hope the update will be free, and freely uploadable from anywhere in the world!!

PetiteFlower
06-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Did I miss a memo? Last I heard there was no "official" announcement and it's still all rumors and speculations about when it's coming out and what it will contain.

smittyofdhs
06-12-2003, 11:30 PM
hey jlp, I hate to tell you this but you are wrong too.

#1 - All ROMs do take longer to get distributed outside the US. Likewise, devices made for US companies take longer too. case in point, look how long it took before Dell PPCs were available outside the US.

#2 - Even though MS releases the code on June 23rd, that means to manufacturers, not end-users. SO even if they do release the code on that date, there's no way, not even the slightest chance, you are going to get it when your Dell ships. Dell has to review the code, modify the code to meet their device, test the code, then ship it. It WILL NOT be coming out preinstalled on any current Dell model. It may be an upgrade for the current models, but you will not see it preinstalled for quite some time.

#3 - Each manufacturer will decide or not decide to release it has nothing to do with MS. It's not like going out and buying software for your PC. It never has been done that way, and it never will since the manufacturers are supplying the device and the modified code to go with it.

#4 - it is possible to have a non-upgradeable flash ROM, the older Ipaqs did not have the ability to upgrade. Likewise, on the Palm-side of the fence, Handsprings PDAs had a ROM that was not flashable. I have no idea what Dell used for their boards but it IS possible to have a non-flashable ROM.

Fishie
06-12-2003, 11:41 PM
hey jlp, I hate to tell you this but you are wrong too.

#1 - All ROMs do take longer to get distributed outside the US. Likewise, devices made for US companies take longer too. case in point, look how long it took before Dell PPCs were available outside the US.

#2 - Even though MS releases the code on June 23rd, that means to manufacturers, not end-users. SO even if they do release the code on that date, there's no way, not even the slightest chance, you are going to get it when your Dell ships. Dell has to review the code, modify the code to meet their device, test the code, then ship it. It WILL NOT be coming out preinstalled on any current Dell model. It may be an upgrade for the current models, but you will not see it preinstalled for quite some time.

#3 - Each manufacturer will decide or not decide to release it has nothing to do with MS. It's not like going out and buying software for your PC. It never has been done that way, and it never will since the manufacturers are supplying the device and the modified code to go with it.

#4 - it is possible to have a non-upgradeable flash ROM, the older Ipaqs did not have the ability to upgrade. Likewise, on the Palm-side of the fence, Handsprings PDAs had a ROM that was not flashable. I have no idea what Dell used for their boards but it IS possible to have a non-flashable ROM.

Don't believe me? do some checking around and you'll see I'm right on all the above, you'll find that it's been that way since the start of the pocket pc.

1: No they dont, its up to the manufacturers to see where the money is.
Case in point, the Toshiba e355 is still not released in the US.

2: Official public release of PPC2k3 is the 23th, manufacturers received the code months ago, thats why machines with PPC 2k3 have already been produced and are waiting for the official release date to ship out to customers.

3: True

4: On PPC you cant have a non flashable ROM as MS states that all PPC machines have to be able to get flashed.
The reasons some machines were left out in the past had more to do with the chips used(Mips and SH3) then with the ROM.

maximus
06-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Hope the update will be free, and freely uploadable from anywhere in the world!!

I am kinda skeptic about this 'free' stuffs. It is like wishing an OEM to give us upgrade to windows XP professional (from windows 2000 or windows ME) for free.

smittyofdhs
06-16-2003, 02:58 AM
As I stated earlier, this is the type of response the PPC makers are probably going to make regarding PPC2003 upgrade for current devices. Keep in mind, Laz works for ATTWS and is a "decision-maker" on the PPCPE teams. So any info from him is deemed justified....

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=171940#post171940

SlimDady
06-17-2003, 12:11 AM
So there is going to be no way for us to upgrade unless dell gives us an update??

We cant install it our selves?

EvilOne
06-17-2003, 01:58 AM
So there is going to be no way for us to upgrade unless dell gives us an update??

We cant install it our selves?

Pretty much if Dell doesn't provide something then you don't get an upgrade.

mc_03
06-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Interesting- people have been able to get some intelligent answers out of HP and Toshiba- from rumours that are most likely true, the 3900s and 5400 ipaqs can upgrade, and the english 3850. Toshiba said to check on Toshiba.com June 23 for upgrade details.

But no one has been able to even get Dell to admit there IS an upgrade. :roll:

maximus
06-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Well, they are just being consistent.

Remember, they are the only company who completely ignores AMD for more than 6 years already :D