View Full Version : Alternative to MS Outlook?

John K
06-11-2003, 01:38 PM
I don't use MS Outlook, and don't have any plans to. Is there an alternative desk top application that I can sync to (similar to the Palm desktop for instance)?

Thanks
John

Sven Johannsen
06-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Yea, but you will have to buy the application and a third party sync solution. Franklin makes one I believe, or you could get Lotus Organizer. I'm sure there are others. Then you'll need Intellisync or something similar to sync your desktop PIM to your PPC. All to avoid using something that is free and already integrate ?

rhmorrison
06-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I don't use MS Outlook, and don't have any plans to.
WHY? What have you got against OutLook?
I'm sure that there are better PIM programs out there but OutLook is POWERFUL and FREE. And even with all the complaints about ActiveSink and OutLook synchronization the whole thing still works pretty well. If you already use a different PIM then I could understanding looking for a way to synchronize with it but not when you say you don't want to use OutLook.

:idea: Maybe you should EXPLAIN WHY you don't want to use OutLook. :idea:

davidspalding
06-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I played with Organizer many, many moons ago (came with my Compaq Aero 433/c), and thought it was grand.

Microsoft obviously aped it with the early versions of Microsoft Outhouse (as I call it). It was supposed to come with Win95, then it didn't, then it cost extra, and finally it's been included with PPCs (generally). It's been worth the wait.

Since then, I've overcome my aversion to Outhouse and learned to like it. I don't use it as my primary e-mail app (except when I'm job searching, like I am now; long story), but find Outhouse 2000 and later are fine and dandy for contacts, calendar, and simple task lists. There are better things out there for each function, but as a [edit] provided tool that incorporates it all, and can backup your PPC Outlook data, I think it's a good value.

If you hate Outhouse, the cost of doing something alternative includes extra effort, expense, and a smaller population of users who can give you tips and support. Of course YMMV, and if you're cool with that ... let us know how it works out!

John K
06-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Oh! Outlook is FREE? That's a major objection out of the way! :oops:

I'll have to go and find a copy to download next time I'm on a fast connection!

John

Posted from my XDA - cool eh? :D

Janak Parekh
06-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Oh! Outlook is FREE? That's a major objection out of the way! :oops:
It's not free in the way you think it is. A license and CD for Outlook 2000 is bundled with every Pocket PC sold.

--janak

John K
06-11-2003, 10:02 PM
I bought my XDA from O2 as a factory reconditioned unit. It came with no additional software. I'll have to find out how to get my copy!

John

Sven Johannsen
06-12-2003, 03:22 AM
I bought my XDA from O2 as a factory reconditioned unit. It came with no additional software. I'll have to find out how to get my copy!

John

Ohh, that might be the hitch. Even reconditioned though, I would think it ought to come with what is normally bundled with it. You'd have to argue with O2 I guess.

Outlook also comes with MS Office BTW, if that is in your future.

davidspalding
06-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Mea culpa, I should not have said the word "free." It ain't. It's licensed, it may've been "included," but it's not free.

It's provided with some PPCs ... heck maybe with all of them, but I won't say that now that someone has claimed NOT to get it with a PPC. <ducking and hiding>