View Full Version : 128 MB iPAQ 5400 Series RAM Upgrade from Pocket PC Techs $179.00 US

Jason Dunn
06-10-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=I54-064-128RAM' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail...=I54-064-128RAM</a><br /><br /></div>"Upgrade your iPAQ 5400 series internal RAM from 64MB to 128MB with our upgrade service. This memory upgrade does require our proprietary driver and is segmented as 64MB 'conventional' and 64MB as our Hi-Speed T2T Disk. This unit uses BGA memory, so stacking is not available and 128MB will be the maximum capacity.<br /><br />The driver will have additional 'tweaks' available to help optimize and speed the system. Two of the 'tweaks' will be:<br /><br />1. Move Avantgo storage to the T2T Disk, reducing the amount of storage used in 'conventional' memory. Unlike other 'tweaking' programs, our's will create the folders, transfer the data and delete the original folders.<br /><br />2. Move Internet Temporary Folder to the T2T Disk, reducing the amount of storage used in 'conventional' memory and speeding up browsing of downloaded content."

Johan
06-10-2003, 08:03 PM
A lot of cash for 64MB extra, non native, memory... 8O
Personally I think 64MB works OK when you can load apps on a large SD. Perhaps they'll ofer a PXA255/memory combo upgrade in the future.

A tip how about fitting a better (louder) speaker so you can use the 5450 for GPS navigation.

JonnoB
06-10-2003, 08:46 PM
The 5555 has, among other things - 128mb of RAM natively. Perhaps that is why the 5455 was selling for $399 at TechEd?

snowlion
06-10-2003, 08:48 PM
i think these ARM and XScale processers are 32 bit...so should be able to address all of it theoretically...
looks like only 16 lines of address lines are used thruout the bus.

jage
06-10-2003, 09:27 PM
i think these ARM and XScale processers are 32 bit...so should be able to address all of it theoretically...
looks like only 16 lines of address lines are used thruout the bus.

You need 27 address lines to address 128MB at byte granulality. On a 32-bit processor that means at most 25 address lines, probably less because cache line is something like 16 or 32 bytes. That means about 22-23 real address lines. 16 is way too few...?

Chris Spera
06-10-2003, 10:53 PM
I've had EVERY Pocket PC I own (except for my Casio E200, which probably won't get the upgrade...) upgraded to 128MB of RAM by PPC Techs. Leonard is THE MAN!

From a technical perspective, if the revised T2T driver can do AT LEAST these two important things, then there is a HUGE and DIRECT impact on conventional RAM that will, in effect, give you a partial conventional RAM upgrade... If you consider not having to store AvantGo or PIE Temp files in conventional RAM an upgrade that is. (I do, BTW...)

From what has been shared with me about the journey PPC Techs undertook to get here, this is a HUGE accomplishment. This may not be the conventional RAM upgrade that everyone was looking for; but it is by far better than the alternative: no upgrade at all.

I see this as BETTER than an additional 64MB SD (or other) storage card. Its also better than a larger storage card because the 64 MB upgrade is inside your device and leaves your SD (or other) slot open. (or other=the use of a CF or PC Sleeve)

As a result, your expansion options remain open, and you don't have to swap cards. This memory will also be faster than SD memory. It will also be addressed faster than your SD Card will, giving you access to start up items that may not be initialized soon enough on a storage card.

Personally, I am still up in the air about an upgrade for my 5455. $179US is a lot to spend, and I've already spent a bit on a new laptop and headphones (for father's day). I may revisit this decision before the beginning of the Holiday Season near the end of this calendar year.

However, this is still a great deal! I'd do it if I didn't have the financial constraints.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

WyattEarp
06-11-2003, 05:24 AM
The 5555 has, among other things - 128mb of RAM natively. Perhaps that is why the 5455 was selling for $399 at TechEd?

Tech Ed was selling them at such a low price because they were new units that were test driven all week.

If the 5555 really does come with 128MB of RAM then maybe PPC Techs can upgrade it to 256MB. That would be really nice. :D Anyway when you think about $179.99 isn't cheap but they are using custom software and lots of R&D. So that is also what you pay for.