View Full Version : recommendation on software to use

kigling
06-10-2003, 11:35 AM
hi guys,
need your advice on what freeware's that is available thats able to get contact to sort according to first name and not last name...
thanks alot

thomas1973
06-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Don't really know of any freeware that does that, but I haven't look too hard, as I'm very happy with PocketInformant (www.pocketinformant.com) which does this and loads more. You should at least give the trial version a spin some day!

You could try surfing www.pocketpcfreewares.com, arguably the best PPC freeware site on the net. They also rate & review all their programs, and the ratings are pretty much spot on, IMO.

It's French, but they've also got German and Portugees versions. If you prefer English, try viewing it through the Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) translator.

Thomas.

rhmorrison
06-10-2003, 12:55 PM
need your advice on what freeware's that is available thats able to get contact to sort according to first name and not last name...
Take a look at PocketContacts (http://www.tirsch.com/PocketContacts.htm). According to the description it does what you want.
I haven't used it so no guarentee.

spursdude
06-10-2003, 08:59 PM
For PocketPCFreewares, I've gone to this link (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?setlang=English) and ever since then it's been set on English mode for me. It works quite well, although not everything is put into English yet.

kigling
06-11-2003, 01:30 AM
hi guys thanks all for the reply and help
i will try out pocket contact out and see how things go
by the way, superdude, u can use altavista's lnaguage translator to translate the whole page to english.
thats how i view pocketpcfreewares

oe1kenobi
06-11-2003, 05:16 AM
(note: I would have responded to this thread sooner if it had a more descriptive topic)

(1) As noted above, Pocket Informant and Agenda Fusion would do this, if you want to go that route.

(2) Pocket Outlook's Contacts app actually sorts by the "FileAs" field (you can edit this field directly in Outlook on your PC), which defaults to "LastName, FirstName" for new contacts. You can set the default sort order for new contacts on both your PocketPC and your PC by changing the settings in Outlook on your PC. The setting is found in Tools->Options->Preferences tab->Contact Options in Outlook XP 2002.

(3) For existing contacts, or to change back and forth, use my Tools menu plugins: FileAs: CompanyName LastName, FirstName; FileAs: CompanyName FirstName LastName; FileAs: FirstName LastName; and FileAs: LastName,FirstName (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=514751#post514751)

-Richard L. Owens

kigling
06-11-2003, 06:15 AM
hi oe1kenobi,
thanks a lot !!!
u are right about the topic not being clear....:)
i will try out ur plugin later tonight -> but i think its gonna fulfill what i need
thanks again
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one more thing guys, im kinda looking into personalising my PPC. im wondering if you guys can recommend some software that does the below:
1. add an icon showing available RAM remaining on the task bar at the bottom.
2. move the sound icon from the top task bar to the bottom task bar
3. customise shortcuts on task bar ala quicklaunch
4. customise the sounds
5. automatic theme switcher?
6. and any other progs that you guys think that i should try out

thanks in advance
p/s if possible could you guys please recommend freewares :)

davidspalding
06-11-2003, 05:38 PM
(2) Pocket Outlook's Contacts app actually sorts by the "FileAs" field (you can edit this field directly in Outlook on your PC), which defaults to "LastName, FirstName" for new contacts. You can set the default sort order for new contacts on both your PocketPC and your PC by changing the settings in Outlook on your PC. The setting is found in Tools->Options->Preferences tab->Contact Options in Outlook XP 2002.

I'll be darned. I had forgotten about this in Outhouse 2000. Solved an annoying problem I've been having. Allows company name to be included for professional contacts ("Lastname, Firstname (companyname)"), and normal display for others. Thanks!