View Full Version : Ahh, to tap the resources of PPCThoughts minds . . .

Job
06-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Alright, lookin' for some help here, folks.

I'm 18 and I'll be leaving for college shortly (late August), so I'm looking into buying a cell phone. I would love to be able to surf the internet from my Axim via the phone, or sell the Axim and get a PPC Phone. Suggestions? Consider cost when replying.

Thanks

jimski
06-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Well, I voted for the Bluetooth solution (as did everyone else so far). While the new Smartphones have a certain "cool" factor, they are just not as practical as two distinct devices designed for their individual purposes. PPCPE's are simply too bulky and not well suited for an everyday phone (at least not for me).

I am guessing that you may want to take some notes with your Axim, maybe using a foldout keyboard. A Smartphone will not help with this.

Yes, you will have to carry two devices around with you, but at least you can leave the Axim behind when it is really not needed (or could come to some hard) and drag your tiny, inexpensive Bluetooth around instead. I haven't priced them lately, but I think you are looking at less than $100 for the phone and $30-50 for a Bluetooth card.

A better deal than a Smartphone with more options.

Pony99CA
06-09-2003, 07:54 AM
I'm 18 and I'll be leaving for college shortly (late August), so I'm looking into buying a cell phone. I would love to be able to surf the internet from my Axim via the phone, or sell the Axim and get a PPC Phone. Suggestions? Consider cost when replying.
If this is just for on campus, have you thought about WiFi? Call your college and ask if they have WiFi on campus and how widespread it is. WiFi will be much cheaper than any phone-based solution, and faster than Bluetooth.

Steve

Job
06-09-2003, 04:56 PM
The cheapest I have seen Bluetooth enabled phones for is $200.

I'll look into the on-campus WiFi, but I doubt they have it.

Stephen Beesley
06-10-2003, 02:59 PM
If this is just for on campus, have you thought about WiFi? Call your college and ask if they have WiFi on campus and how widespread it is. WiFi will be much cheaper than any phone-based solution, and faster than Bluetooth.

Steve

Defininately an advantage of the Axim would be the ability to use Wifi. It is becoming more and more widely available. And, of course, with the Axim you could have both a Wifi and a Bluetooth card (Of course there is always the cost issue, but...) to use interchangebly.

Goldtee

Mike Temporale
06-10-2003, 06:13 PM
If you are looking for the cheapest solution, WiFi is it. If that's no possible, I would look for the cheapest Cell Phone that has a cable allowing it to conenct directly to your Dell http://www.thepocketsolution.com/dellwireless.htm. This would be far cheaper than a BlueTooth solution.

Alicatt
06-11-2003, 12:19 AM
I have the Axim X5 and a Nokia 6310i, I use the IRda from the phone to the X5 and it works flawlessly. Ok it is not as convinient as bluetooth but it works and I havnt got a blue tooth card...yet. my next purchase is a WiFi card for the X5 to connect to my home network and to monitor the video stream from my van 8O

Abba Zabba
06-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Well I voted for the BT. Definately..bigger screen and I am a two device person. Plus it's more cost effective for me but I don't know for you