View Full Version : The best Pocket PC

spotcheckbilly1
06-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Hey everyone. I am looking for my perfect Pocket PC. Here is what I need/want:

-Microsoft Windows OS of some sort
-Microsoft Office software applications
-Digital Camera (good quality, but I only need it for putting pictures on
the internet)-I want the lens to be at the head of the unit (like on the Sasmsung SPH-i700)
-MP3 Player
-Good amount of RAM and ROM
-Internet connectivity
-Network connectivity (I want to be able to connect to my Desktop computer, in order to access Microsoft Office files, while I'm not at home)....this is where I was thinking that a Smart phone would be necessary unless I go out and buy a new cell phone (blue tooth enabled) just to use it for my Pocket PC to connect to the internet.

I would really appreciate all of the advice. The best unit I've found so far is the Samsung SPH-i700. What do you think of this device? Have any other recommendations? Thanks.

spursdude
06-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Well, aside from the Samsung, I believe that the only Pocket PC with an integrated camera is a version of the Toshiba Genio, not to be found in the U.S. Check out this thread. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9659&highlight=genio+camera) You could look at some CF cameras, but I don't know much about them.

As for the rest of your requirements, nearly any Pocket PC should meet your needs. All will have the Microsoft Windows OS (that is, Pocket PC), Office software apps, and MP3 capabilities.

For good amount of RAM/ROM, make sure you get something with at least 64MB RAM and perhaps 32MB or even 64MB of ROM. The Toshiba e750 has the most amount of internal user-available space. Just try to avoid the iPaq 1910 if you want plenty of RAM/ROM.

For Internet/Network connectivity, you could get a Toshiba e750 or e740, or an iPaq 5450, all of which have integrated 802.11b wireless networking. Or, you can always get a Pocket PC with a CompactFlash slot and also get a wired or wireless network card, going for as little as $30.

My main suggestion for you would probably be the Toshiba e750. It was integrated wireless, plenty of storage space, dual expansion card slots, and a good transflective screen. You should check out how the CF cameras are. You didn't mention how much you're willing to spend, however.

Or you could wait a couple of weeks and see how the new Pocket PC 2003 devices are.

spotcheckbilly1
06-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Does the Toshiba have a digital camera? This is an absolute requirement for me. The main reason that I am getting a Pocket PC is b/c I need a digital camera and Pocket PC's were intriguing me anyway. Then, when I began researching them, I grew very addicted all of the possible uses. Thus, I want a pocket PC that "does it all." Thanks for your help.

spursdude
06-09-2003, 05:53 AM
The Toshiba e750 does not have an integrated digital camera. The closest it can get is with a CF camera, like this one (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11738&highlight=cf+camera). If being integrated is absolutely necessary, then I suggest you go ahead and go with the Samsung.

isilver
06-09-2003, 06:07 AM
It is hard to find a pocketPC with a camera built into it. You may need to think about getting a external one that will fit into a compact flash port. The best one that I have seen is probabl the PocketPC Traveller which can be found at http://www.veoproducts.com/Traveler_PocketPc/default.asp.

Be careful when you look a pocket PC. With a feature like a camera you might find that the camera you may find the pocketpc in the shop often. A friend of mine has a palm with a built in camera. The camera is currently non-functional.

I myself own a Dell Axim X5 and it comes jammed packet with all the features that you mentioned (except for the camera). It comes with both a Secure Digital Slot and a Compact Flash card which means you can hook up a wireless network card. I understand if you wait a month the new Dell pocket PC's will have a built in network card.[/url]

maximus
06-09-2003, 06:38 AM
The main reason that I am getting a Pocket PC is b/c I need a digital camera and Pocket PC's were intriguing me anyway

Is 640x480 good enough for you ?

Pony99CA
06-09-2003, 06:44 AM
Does the Toshiba have a digital camera? This is an absolute requirement for me. The main reason that I am getting a Pocket PC is b/c I need a digital camera and Pocket PC's were intriguing me anyway. Then, when I began researching them, I grew very addicted all of the possible uses. Thus, I want a pocket PC that "does it all."
One thing to ask yourself is how good a digital camera you want. I think the Samsung is only VGA (640x480). If you're just going to take pictures for Web sites or display on the Pocket PC, that may be fine.

However, if you want an excellent camera, the only PDA that I know of which would come close is the bulky Sony Clie PEG-NZ90 (http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3166) which has a 2 megapixel camera with flash.

Steve

maximus
06-09-2003, 09:26 AM
*cough* $800 for a palm device ? *cough*

1.3 mpixel CF camera here http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12404

Pony99CA
06-09-2003, 09:47 AM
*cough* $800 for a palm device ? *cough*
Yeah, and it was all hashed over in the "Sony Unveils $800 Wireless, Multimedia CLIE NZ90 Handheld" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7011) (for 19 pages :!:). I only mentioned it as an example of a fairly high resolution camera integrated in a PDA, so let's not get into the pros and cons of that device here. :-)

Steve

maximus
06-10-2003, 02:13 AM
I hope they start producing PPCs. Pricing will be significantly higher than the competitions .. but it will be quite a consumer device. Imagine a Phone PPC with 480x320 screen, 2 mpixel camera, integrated 802.11g ... awesome. But on the downside, the device will only have memory stick slot, no SD nor CF. What a killjoy. :)

Pony99CA
06-11-2003, 08:39 AM
I hope they start producing PPCs. Pricing will be significantly higher than the competitions .. but it will be quite a consumer device. Imagine a Phone PPC with 480x320 screen, 2 mpixel camera, integrated 802.11g ... awesome. But on the downside, the device will only have memory stick slot, no SD nor CF. What a killjoy. :)
Lots of people wish Sony would do that. However, as you pointed out, they'd probably use Memory Stick, but that's not all.

First, I wouldn't count on a higher screen resolution. Sony was able to hack the Palm OS to do that, but would they be able to do it with Pocket PC? Would Microsoft even allow that?

Second, expecting phone and 802.11g isn't very realistic right now. No consumer Pocket PC includes phone and WiFi, even. If anything, you'd get phone and Bluetooth.

Third, I wouldn't even count on 802.11g. The NZ90 just gives you a partially-supported CF slot for an optional WiFi card. (I say partially-supported because you can't just plug any CF card into it. Some people were working on general CF drivers, but I don't know if they created them or not.)

Finally, would Sony integrate phone capabilities into any PDA? They haven't produced a Palm OS phone PDA. As they're already working with Ericsson on phones, I don't see them creating phones with somebody else.

Steve

maximus
06-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Finally, would Sony integrate phone capabilities into any PDA? They haven't produced a Palm OS phone PDA. As they're already working with Ericsson on phones, I don't see them creating phones with somebody else.

Agree. I dont think they will ever create anything that will directly compete with the P800.

Abba Zabba
06-12-2003, 07:55 AM
I don't think that Sony will come on board the PPC train since they pratically almost own Palm now with what the control :evil: But I would love to see them join...think of all the possibilities :?: