View Full Version : linksys wcf12 with dell axim- help-help-help!!!!!!

gorilla
06-07-2003, 07:45 PM
I hope someone can please help me. I just bought the linksys wcf12 for my dell axim. I installed all the software and I can surf the net on my axim but cannot use the activesync to share with my laptop. I have a linksys wireless router, and a laptop with linksys wireless card. Thats it. I want to share files between my laptop and axim, does anyone know hot to set this up? Thank you so much.

Sven Johannsen
06-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Not sure what indications you are getting, but I assume you are using the built in File Explorer (which is the least friendly way of doing this) If you are using some other program (Resco's File Explorer hopefully) things will be easier.

Probably the first thing you want to do is play with the connection manager. Usually the setup that works the best for most situations without having to change things is setting all three windows to the 'Work' setting. Then on one of the two top boxes that say Work Settings, select modify, go to the proxy tab, and check 'this network connects to the internet'. That should set you up so that you can both access the internet with PIE and access your internal network.

At that point, with the standard File Manager, there is an icon at the bottom right that looks like a share icon (hand holding something). Click it and it will bring up an "open path" dialog that starts with \\. You need to fill in a share path such as \\MyPC\MyShare. If you are not sure of a share name, you can use \\MyPC\C$. The MyPC has to be real for your machine but the C$ is the administrative share for your whole C drive (which i assume most folks have. It may prompt you for a user name and password depending on how your PC is set up. Use what you log in with.

You should see a file list and be able to open folders and such. Unfortunately you can't do anything with the files unless you copy them to your PPC. With third party programs (like Resco, or NetRunner) you can tap on a file to open it from the share, such as openning a word doc, or picture or multimedia file.

Hope this helps.

gorilla
06-07-2003, 08:31 PM
Hi, thank you very much for replying so quickly. I did eveything you said but when I get to the point of entering the path, i put it in like you said and it says cannot connect see your administrator. Im not sure what to do, can you help? Thanks very much

BTS
06-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi. Did you make sure that your firewall was turned off on your laptop. I find that if it is "on" (at least in Win XP) it will prevent you from seeing your notebook computer.

tsballx
06-08-2003, 02:46 AM
When I originally set up my wireless card, I had to list my pc's ip as a win server before I could active sync.

gorilla
06-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Hello, I appreciate everyone trying to help, but I cant seem to get anywhere with this syncing thing. I have no problem sharing the internet access with my laptop and the router but I can't seem to use the active sync wirelessly. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks a lot