View Full Version : iPAQ 5450 ROM Update 1.11 Released

Janak Parekh
06-06-2003, 03:27 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/18285.html' target='_blank'>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/f...load/18285.html</a><br /><br /></div>Finally, it seems like the real ROM update for 5450 owners is here. There are a <i>ton</i> of improvements, including but not limited to improved memory utilization for the Bluetooth/WLAN drivers, GSM/GPRS pack support, many WLAN updates including LEAP and 802.11g AP support, the Battery driver update, SDIO support, and updates to various software including the BT manager, Image Viewer, Pocket Backup, and iTask. <br /><br />Unfortunately, some of the WLAN updates will also require a separate, pending, WLAN firmware update. Still, 5450 owners, let us know how well it works!

possmann
06-06-2003, 04:47 AM
define GSM/GPRS support... please :)

rberry88
06-06-2003, 04:48 AM
&lt;mumbles to self>

I am not a guinea pig...I am not a guinea pig...

rberry88 0X

dhettel
06-06-2003, 05:03 AM
&lt;mumbles to self>

rberry88 0X

I'm a guinea pig, oink oink. So far I like it. And a speed improvement! I think this shows that all who said it was the Microsoft OS where wrong! This is the way the 545X should have been from day 1!

mclaughlinc
06-06-2003, 05:22 AM
This link is not working and I did not see it listed on the download section of the HP website.

madbart
06-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Guinea Pig.....use the backup facility & then if you are not happy you can simply roll it back.

As for me....test away....as soon as the file will download i will be there!,which it isn't currently doing

Ainvar
06-06-2003, 05:46 AM
I have downloaded it fine when it wad first posted and just now tried it again. Here from ATL GA I can get it.

umichboy
06-06-2003, 06:48 AM
What's the WLAN update? Is that the one that's already out there?

Chris Spera
06-06-2003, 07:06 AM
I love hard resetting my device... I've done it at least 5 times this month (the last was unintentional... the machine ran out of power and died).

Hopefully, this is going to be worth the effort. I'll keep everyone posted.

Christopher Spera

Terry
06-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Post upgrade...WLAN (802.11b) won't connect to my AP and the LED won't go on.

Everything else is fine, but I haven't installed any 3rd party apps yet.
Bluetooth works fine.

Dave Beauvais
06-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Just wanted to say that I did something I swore I'd never do: install a ROM update on the day it was released. 8O

Fortunately, all seems to have gone without a hitch. I spent the last hour getting my software reinstalled, configured, and my Wi-Fi profiles defined. I went straight from the original 1.00.45 ROM to the new one, which is 1.11.19 -- I skipped 1.10.xx. (Though somewhat ironically, I was going to upgrade to that one tomorrow. :))

Things I notice: My wireless LAN signal used to be 100% sitting at my desk, which is about six feet from the access point. It is now 70% in the same location. This bugs me a little, though maybe the forthcoming firmware update will address this. Range does not seem to be affected, however, as I can still go to the basement and outside with a usable signal.

Wireless connections seem to be significantly faster than before. Perhaps this is because the wireless LAN software update is included in this ROM update. I never installed the separate update.

Overall, the machine seems to be faster, which is nice. Even with the Bluetooth tray app and DM_K.exe running, there is no significant performance hit. Pocket EverQuest seems to run a bit smoother now.

I hate the "improved" headphone volume. I generally use a pair of very sensitive earbud-style headphones which are now nearly unusable unless the volume is at the absolute lowest possible level. This kinda sucks.

The new Bluetooth tray icon has a nifty pop-up menu now allowing you to turn the radio on and off or go to the BT Manager.

iPAQ Backup is version 1.1.0.6. I'm not sure how this compares to Sprite's Pocket Backup. The HP release notes claim this is the latest version. I haven't done a backup yet, but I can see that the interface is slightly different than the one in the original ROM.

Nevo is v1.02b, which is a newer version than you got after installing the Nevo patch. (That gave you v1.01.) I haven't yet tried to restore the Nevo config files that I copied out of the iPAQ File Store before the ROM update. I sincerely hope that I don't have to reprogram all that crap again.

Still no "headset" profile by default in the Bluetooth Manager. Doesn't affect me, but I'm sure many folks will be annoyed by this oversight.

If you go to the Bluetooth Manager without turning the BT radio on first, it's turned on automatically while you're in the Manager and turned off when you close it. Could be useful for setting up a profile for use later.

Asset Viewer Version Changes -- I'll only list things that changed or that are likely to be of interest. Version
ROM Date: 05/24/03
ROM Revision: 1.11.19 ENG

System
Country ID and Processor Revision items removed.

Bluetooth
My old Firmware: 1.5.6 - 1.6.8
New Firmware: 1.5.6 - 1.6.8 (I list this because I seem to remember that my firmware was newer than most peoples'
Old Driver Version: 1.3.1.46
New Driver Version: 1.4.1.03
Old Software Version: 1.3.1.46
New Software Version: 1.4.1.03

Fingerprint
Old Software Version: 3.2
New Software Version: 3.6
Old Driver Version: 2.6
New Driver Version: 3.6

Wireless LAN
Hardware Revision: 6.3
Firmware Version 0.90.5.149
Old Driver Version: 2.2.2.36
New Driver Version: 3.2.2.84
Old Software Version: 4.0.1.15
New Software Version: 4.0.1.36

New category: IPSM
Driver Version: 3.53_021213GOLDThat's all for now. :)

--Dave

Terry
06-06-2003, 07:57 AM
My wireless LAN signal used to be 100% sitting at my desk, which is about six feet from the access point.

Hummm...mine is still zero...my old Jornada with a Symbol WiFi still works...hummm
0X

JCG1968
06-06-2003, 07:58 AM
I already installed the update. EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTH.
I also installed my software again and everything is O.K.
The HP 5455 is faster and battery life according to the battery pack soft will last for 3h 31 min (NEVER SAW MORE THAN 2 1/2 HOURS BEFORE!).
I will go now to try the bluetooh.

ronnis
06-06-2003, 08:04 AM
What about that WLAN firmware update. I can't find it on the HP web page, and the ROM update file says the firmware update "will be" available... Any news on that one?

Dave Beauvais
06-06-2003, 08:34 AM
I edited my original reply (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119448#119448) to list the changes that show up in Asset Viewer following the ROM update.

I suspect the WLAN firmware update that "will be released" will arrive in due time. I hope they don't rush it out the door just to make everyone stop asking where it is. :)

Incidentally, IPSM stands for "Intel Persistent Storage Manager (http://www.accelent.com/TMRG2.ASP?PAGE_ID=647)."

--Dave

Johan
06-06-2003, 09:21 AM
The HP 5455 is faster and battery life according to the battery pack soft will last for 3h 31 min (NEVER SAW MORE THAN 2 1/2 HOURS BEFORE!).
I will go now to try the bluetooh.

Batterypack "learns" over time, so this is the initial guesses, this will change over time when it learns how you use your iPAQ.

Pony99CA
06-06-2003, 09:32 AM
There are a ton of improvements, including but not limited to [...] SDIO support[....]
I thought the 5450 already had SDIO support. :?:

Steve

Pony99CA
06-06-2003, 09:35 AM
define GSM/GPRS support... please :)
It's GSM/GPRS pack support. I assume that means the 5450 now supports the GSM/GPRS expansion sleeve. Here's the exact line from the HP Web site:

Updates Expansion Pack manager driver to support GSM/GPRS Wireless Pack

Steve

Andrew
06-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Ok some initial thoughts to contribute to what the others have added;

Rom update

I hard reset after backing up all my data, configured ipaq, soft reset, put it in cradle, synced as guest and then ran the rom update.

First time it failed, displayed the progress bar on the ipaq (usb update) and then gave me a communications error. I soft reset the ipaq, reran the rom update and this time it updated without any problems.

Speed - Overall definitely feels a little snappier to me. My ipaq used to be a bit sluggish sometimes, especially I had to tap start a couple of times to get the menu up, but now it responds instantly, and changes between programs, settings etc are a lot faster.

Sound - I noticed that the sound seems a lot clearer now, or I should say cleaner now, but this could just be me.

First sync

I had quite a few problems on my first sync, Activesync (3.7) kept freezing when it would try to sync my tasks (12 of them!). I tried soft resetting the ipaq and resyncing, which didnt work. I tried taking the tasks out of the options in activesync and resync, but during the sync, activesync somehow put them back, so it failed again. I tried deleting the partnership with activesync, and on the ipaq, recreating it and then resyncing, but still no luck.

In the end I went back to deselecting tasks from activesync, and this time it worked, the device synced, activesync didnt try to re-add the tasks and the device updated. I then added the tasks back to activesync and this time it worked without any problems.

Im about to put my apps back on, and rebond with my phone so I'll let you know how that looks in a little while.

Andrew

FredMurphy
06-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Downloading it now. If it does what it claims, then it should have been called at least version 1.2! It still hasn't appeared on the list of updates I was checking. (Could be a list from the UK section of hp.com)

If this (or the WLAN firmware) stops me having to take the battery out a couple of times a week I'll be happy.

Techtoys
06-06-2003, 12:42 PM
:) Cool, installed this morning before work and had no problems at all. I put a trial copy of mPhone on and did not have the problems I used to get (selecting the device, etc) using the old rom. Then again, I've been using it for a whole 3 hours, so it might bite me yet.

Ed Hansberry
06-06-2003, 12:43 PM
802.11g AP support
:?: The 5400 supports g?

Chris Spera
06-06-2003, 01:07 PM
802.11g AP support

Apparently, it does now.

Christopher Spera

ChristopherTD
06-06-2003, 01:19 PM
After installing the ROM Update I was unable to get the WLAN to activate.

However I applied the "battery out, press stylus in Reset hole for 5 seconds, replace battery" trick and it works happily now.

Time will tell if I can turn it on and off at will, but for now I am happy!

Janak Parekh
06-06-2003, 01:30 PM
802.11g AP support
No, I mean that it will work with 802.11g Access Points. While 802.11g APs should work with 802.11b cards, the 5450 was notable in being incompatible with the majority of them. I believe that full support for 802.11g APs will also need the upcoming WLAN update.

--janak

achille
06-06-2003, 01:59 PM

daveh
06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
So does this update fix the driver issues that require you to reset the ipaq when you turn on the wlan and occasionally remove the battery to get the wlan to work?

brianchris
06-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Didn't the last ROM (1.10?) address the DM_K.exe resource problem? If so, does this ROM update include that? TIA!

-Brian

pepemosca
06-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Why does it says 1.11.XX ??

What does that "XX" means?

Is there different versions? I don't get it

prototype
06-06-2003, 03:17 PM
How frustrating!! I only carry my Belkin power/sync cable with me to work ... I leave the cradle on the home PC. Apparently it doesn't like that cable at all because the upgrade either tells me I am not connected, or I don't have AC connected. however, I do have an active sync connection established, and it does put the IPAQ in the Update Mode while running it.

Oh well have to wait a few days and try it when I get home ... unless someone has a suggestion.

Drew

ChristopherTD
06-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, I just made a backup before updating the rom... Updated the rom... And then just restored all the programs back on.... I didn't see anyone doing that... Is that not recomended ?! I'm sure I can hard reset the thing and then reinstall everything... but I have so much to install

This is not recommended because the restore may overwrite files that were altered by the ROM update. While it will probably work, it may lead to problems and conflicts later on...

Treat it as a chance to start with a lean clean machine!

Ed Hansberry
06-06-2003, 03:50 PM
No, I mean that it will work with 802.11g Access Points. While 802.11g APs should work with 802.11b cards, the 5450 was notable in being incompatible with the majority of them. I believe that full support for 802.11g APs will also need the upcoming WLAN update.

Oh, right right right. G is the same wavelength. I was thinking A which is a different bandwidth.

darius779
06-06-2003, 05:03 PM
&lt;mumbles to self>

rberry88 0X

I'm a guinea pig, oink oink. So far I like it. And a speed improvement! I think this shows that all who said it was the Microsoft OS where wrong! This is the way the 545X should have been from day 1!

Just for the record, guinea pigs dont oink. Thank You

Daniel

:lurking:

brianchris
06-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Just for the record, guinea pigs dont oink. Thank You

Daniel

Indeed.....its more like they squeal (in beta testing agony) :lol:

-Brian

mtillett
06-06-2003, 07:28 PM
achille,

I've seen a few complaints that people who did this lost their SD Slot until they hard reset... I would strongly suggest that you don't follow this path. It just seems like asking for trouble.

dnacpil
06-06-2003, 07:53 PM
I too recently upgraged to the ROM to 1.11XX but now everytime I turn off and on my H5455 I would get an error: "Device in Slot Unrecognize". I even did a hard reset and it's still doing it. Even if I cancel the error or name the device I still get the error. The SD Slot works fine but it's annoying to see this error whenever I turn on my device.

I'm going back to my old ROM 1.10XX. I was doing with it in the first place.

brianchris
06-06-2003, 08:43 PM
I too recently upgraged to the ROM to 1.11XX but now everytime I turn off and on my H5455 I would get an error: "Device in Slot Unrecognize". I even did a hard reset and it's still doing it. Even if I cancel the error or name the device I still get the error. The SD Slot works fine but it's annoying to see this error whenever I turn on my device.

Did you restore a backup after upgrading to the new ROM? If not, good on you and sorry you ran into this problem. If so, that's a relatively big no-no.....you should reinstall all your apps fresh after a ROM upgrade. Indeed, there have been a *great* deal of reports of users upgrading to this ROM *and* then restoring a backup loosing access to (or have other issues) with their SD slot.

If the later is your case (above), and you'd like to stick with the new ROM (it really sounds to be worth its weight in gold), simply hard reset then set up a new partnership, resync all your data, then install and configure all your applications (recomended since the early days of ROM updating...not just for this ROM).

-Brian

CoreyJF
06-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Thigs seem to to be working. I noticed that the wan connection reports that it has less signal strength now. Hopefully it is not the case and just a messurment issue. Hopefully it will be resolved withthe firm update.

dnacpil
06-06-2003, 10:45 PM

Did you restore a backup after upgrading to the new ROM? If not, good on you and sorry you ran into this problem. If so, that's a relatively big no-no.....you should reinstall all your apps fresh after a ROM upgrade. Indeed, there have been a *great* deal of reports of users upgrading to this ROM *and* then restoring a backup loosing access to (or have other issues) with their SD slot.

If the later is your case (above), and you'd like to stick with the new ROM (it really sounds to be worth its weight in gold), simply hard reset then set up a new partnership, resync all your data, then install and configure all your applications (recomended since the early days of ROM updating...not just for this ROM).

-Brian

No, I did not restore any backup after the upgrade. As a matter of fact I did not even re-apply any of my 3rd party apps nor did I reload any of my old datas. This was happening right after I upgraded to the new ROM 1.11

As soon as the upgrade was finished I followed the instructions by soft resetting my device. When my device came on I did the usual setup (screen, time, zone, etc) and after that that's when I noticed that the error. I did a hard reset and the error would still display when I turned it off and turned on. When I cancelled the error or named (it asks to name the device in the slot) and clicked ok it would work fine up to the point when I would turn it off and turn back on. It would display the error again.

brianchris
06-06-2003, 11:02 PM
No, I did not restore any backup after the upgrade. As a matter of fact I did not even re-apply any of my 3rd party apps nor did I reload any of my old datas. This was happening right after I upgraded to the new ROM 1.11

As soon as the upgrade was finished I followed the instructions by soft resetting my device. When my device came on I did the usual setup (screen, time, zone, etc) and after that that's when I noticed that the error. I did a hard reset and the error would still display when I turned it off and turned on. When I cancelled the error or named (it asks to name the device in the slot) and clicked ok it would work fine up to the point when I would turn it off and turn back on. It would display the error again.

Well, then, it does seem as though something went wrong during your ROM update :( Stirctly out of curiosity, did you happen to have a memory card (or other SD form factor card) in your SD slot *during* the ROM update? Regardless, (becuase of your experience) I will have my SD memory card out of my iPaq during the update (only thing I can't think of, and it certaintly won't hurt things...only help).

Again, sorry and its too bad you won't be able to benefit from the fixes in the new ROM.

-Brian

MultiMatt
06-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Recently I did a hard reset, and ever since then, the WLAN won't work, and my Expansion Pack initialization fails. I was on the road, and had to deal with it... :roll:

Just got home, and installed this new ROM update, and I am STILL having the same issues! If I go to STATUS on the WLAN, it is stuck on Initializing...
As soon as I put on my CF Expansion sleeve, I get the Expansion Pack initialization failed error...Anyone know what gives? Tried the battery trick, to no avail...

Matt

dnacpil
06-06-2003, 11:30 PM

Well, then, it does seem as though something went wrong during your ROM update :( Stirctly out of curiosity, did you happen to have a memory card (or other SD form factor card) in your SD slot *during* the ROM update? Regardless, (becuase of your experience) I will have my SD memory card out of my iPaq during the update (only thing I can't think of, and it certaintly won't hurt things...only help).

Again, sorry and its too bad you won't be able to benefit from the fixes in the new ROM.

-Brian

No, I did not have an SD card in the slot. As matter of fact, these are the steps I made before and after I upgraged to the ROM 1.11

Before:
1) I did a hard reset
2) I removed any data in the File restore
3) I deleted the partnership in ActiveSync 3.7
4) I reconnected and synced as a "Guest"
5) I proceeded with the upgrade
6) No error encountered and it took about 15-20 mins.

After:
1) I removed the H5455 from the cradle
2) I did a soft reset
3) I proceeded with the usual setup (Align Screen, Time Zone, etc)
4) Today screen came on and the "Error" came on right after
5) I clicked cancel and opened up several built-in aps (Excel, Word, Bluetooth, WLAN, etc)
6) Turned off the device and waited for 10 seconds and turned it back on
7) "Error" came back on
8) I did a hard reset
9) I turned it back on and did the usual setup again
10) Again, the "Error" came back on.
11) I did a soft reset several times and each time it would display the error.
12) I removed the battery and waited for 10-15 seconds
13) Again, error

I finally went back to the previous ROM 1.10

Too bad.

juan_chiriboga
06-07-2003, 12:31 AM
After installing the ROM Update, I can not use the "Dial via Bluetooth" anymore. it seems like it wants to connect. my T68i starts flashing the bluetooth light, and all of a sudden stops.
This worked fine as of last night, before the ROM Update.
anyone has any thoughts?

Terry
06-07-2003, 12:50 AM
In the typical HP fashion, the update is off the site. Guess it wasn't ready for prime time after all!

0X

Perhaps the next posting will include the WLAN firmware...

achille
06-07-2003, 02:58 AM

palur
06-07-2003, 03:59 AM
I installed ROM update and WMP was very fast in opening. But moment I installed some software on to my IPAq the WMP has become very slow. I removed the pocket music but still have the same problem.
2) will the device ID change after ROM update?
3) do we need to hard rest after ROM upgrade? I thought it was automatic after soft reset!
Thanks

van_mierlo
06-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Ok, I'm going crazy here, I need the ipaq working\wlan by tomorow 10
The new Rom includes the updated wlan driver... but where do i find the wlan firmware??
From the rom site:
----------
A WLAN firmware update is required for some of the enhancements and fixes. This firmware update will be available in a separate SoftPaq on www.hp.com on the support and drivers page. The WLAN firmware update must be installedAFTER installing this ROM update. DO NOT attempt to install the WLAN firmware update before installing this ROM update.
----------

when will the wlan firmware be availabe?
Since the update I've had problems ... the wlan had not been working
I did not get it working either right away after the update.

Remove battery from ipaq hold down the soft reset button for 5 seconds and place back your battery
Make sure all your connection settings are to the internet(except the network card--bottom setting)
Delete all your wlan presets
start with blank profile and try again

this did it for me

good luck

R K
06-07-2003, 04:55 AM

You should try upgrading one more time. If you haven't gone back to 1.10 yet, try and see if you can reinstall the 1.11 on top of your current one. It sounds like something messed up in the upgrade process but it also sounds like reapplying the upgrade will fix the problem.

ChristopherTD
06-07-2003, 06:46 AM
All is not 100% with the update for me. This morning I turned on my 5450 and then plugged it in to the AC adapter. The orange light wouldn't come on. I tried a soft-reset and it didn't charge.

Then I did a backup with Pocket Backup, prior to popping out the battery, as I wanted to preserve the software I had installed etc..

Pocket Backup forces a soft-reset at the end of the process and this one triggered the WLAN and charging back into life...

Anyone else had any charging wierdness with the uodate?

Jaap van Ees
06-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Well, the update is still there allright. :)

Jaap

achille
06-07-2003, 02:17 PM

Jaap van Ees
06-07-2003, 03:02 PM
I downloaded the update immediately after the announcement on Thoughts. I did the upgrade this morning without any problem. I am downloading the current version, and will try to see whether anything is differenty.

Update:
I unpacked the file, compared the unpacked files with the ones I extracted from the one I previously downloaded. All files appear identical.
The re-upgrade went -again- without a hitch and I can find no possible difference.

Janak Parekh
06-07-2003, 07:36 PM
That means that in the process, the rom was pulled off the site, ( might have been tweaked ) and then it was put back in.
Nope. It means that HP prereleased the webpage. When I posted, I did notice that the datestamp on the ROM download page was June 6, but it was up on the evening of June 5 while I was typing out the announcement.

If it was pulled, that wasn't the explanation. :)

--janak

Ketul_Patel
06-08-2003, 12:27 AM
once instolled the ROM update, I was able to see my SD cord. When I restored from my backed-up data on SD card using iPaq backup, SD card does not work :devilboy:

Did hard reset several times, same results.

Any one with this problem? :|

Janak Parekh
06-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Ketul, you should never restore from a pre-ROM update image--various drivers and related stuff will get overwritten, and that will cause you problems such as the one you're experiencing.

--janak

jtsa
06-08-2003, 11:01 AM
just upgraded and reinstalled everything in my 5450 from rom 1.10
I'm happy that everything seems to be running faster. I cant compare my wlan because I never really got into using it before.

anyway, I've had a couple of things happen to me since I've upgraded to 1.11. not sure if they're related...

1) battery was going flat, so i plugged it in using a usb cable to recharge my ipaq, I noticed that my ipaq decided to freeze screen blanked out and had coloured lines down the screen. I tried soft resetting, and even hard resetting to fix the problem without results (didn't seem to want to hard reset). So I took out the batt for a few seconds and tried again. Fortunately my ipaq restarted ok, and didn't require reinstallation of software.

2) Decided to plug ipaq into same sync charger to sync. Noticed that Battery light didn't come on, and charging didn't start. Had to reset the ipaq to get charging to happen. the ipaq had sync'ed with my pc at the time.

apart from that everthing seems ok. will be checking the batt light every time I sync now.

anyone else have the simlar probs?

ChristopherTD
06-08-2003, 12:34 PM
jtsa,

I too have noticed that the charging light doesn't always come on, a soft-reset is usually required, though sometimes just pressing the power button triggers it into life.

Also, sometimes the machine doesn't wake up after a long interval with the WLAN enabled, when it had been enabled before it went to sleep. However, the WLAN has always re-enabled without incident.

Otherwise all seems OK here!

christheswiss
06-08-2003, 01:31 PM
OK, I am contemplating installing this upgrade, but other then for some speed improvement, what else is "improved" ? Also, in the read me file that comes with the upgrade, it mentions that the programs can be added pack in with the activsync "add/remove program" option. Nobody seems to mention this. It seems to me that this would be much faster then adding everything back one by one.
Yes, a speed improvement is nice, I am curious how this was accomplished.

christheswiss
06-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just curious, you innitially restored from a previous backup, which I understand is a no-no. Did you end up re-installing everything or did you leave it alone.

ChristopherTD
06-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Also, in the read me file that comes with the upgrade, it mentions that the programs can be added pack in with the activsync "add/remove program" option. Nobody seems to mention this. It seems to me that this would be much faster then adding everything back one by one.

Doing the reinstall that way worked pretty well for me - some of the software still needed to be "activated" or "registered" by entering a code, but it was pretty quick.

For safety I did it one software package at a time...

gregh
06-08-2003, 05:26 PM
I seem to have lost the ability to charge since applying this ROM Update, dunno if it's a hardware problem , or if indeed it is related to the ROM update.

:(

gregh
06-08-2003, 05:50 PM
turns out this is an issue with Battery Pack software, removing it allows me to charge fine 8O

daS
06-08-2003, 09:33 PM
I had a bit of a scare in performing the update to my h5450:

After doing the ROM backup, I started the upgrade. At 28% the update stalled for more than 30 minutes. :zzz: Since the process on the desktop was idle (according to the task manager) I gave up and removed the iPAQ from the cradle. After a soft reset, the iPAQ would freeze at the HP splash screen! :huh:

I elected to perform a hard reset (yes, I know that the instructions say not to do that, but it seemed all was lost anyway.) After the hard reset the iPAQ came alive, but with the old ROM version. I was able to connect to ActiveSync again, but the update would hang before starting the progress meter. (This was most likely because part of the old image had been overwritten with part of the new.)

I then looked at the file store on the iPAQ and noticed that the update had copied a small program: FUU.EXE to the root before it stalled. Running this program starts the progress meter. So... I reset the iPAQ again, started the update program on the desktop and when it stalled, I ran FUU on the iPAQ. That started the ROM image transfer and completed the update! :way to go:

Now all's well. I hope this information may be useful to others that have trouble with the update.

bspeed
06-09-2003, 12:59 AM
Has anyone been successful installing this upgrade and being able to connect to a 802.11g router using their 5455?
I checked the HP site but no word on any firmware being released.

Thanks

Bob

tonyrxman
06-09-2003, 01:54 AM
I then looked at the file store on the iPAQ and noticed that the update had copied a small program: FUU.EXE to the root before it stalled. Running this program starts the progress meter. So... I reset the iPAQ again, started the update program on the desktop and when it stalled, I ran FUU on the iPAQ. That started the ROM image transfer and completed the update!

Das,
Keeps freezing at 28%...is this happening to anyone else???
tried running the FUU.EXE but just get clock running......
any one got a fix for this?????

lanwarrior
06-09-2003, 04:51 AM
Err..what do you mean by Battery Pack will not work?? I use this software but haven't installed the application.

Does this means the new ROM broke Battery Pack?

Terry
06-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Remove battery from ipaq hold down the soft reset button for 5 seconds and place back your battery. Make sure all your connection settings are to the internet (except the network card--bottom setting). Delete all your wlan presets start with blank profile and try again.Bizarre, but following these steps has WLAN working again. Thanks Van :D

jt3
06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
I've heard that this update offers longer battery life, but... Has anyone else noticed that the screen brightness doesn't seem to be as high?

On rom 1.10 and below, when on battery, I always kept my 5455 on the fourth mark from the bottom (including the bottom "off" mark) on the brightness meter. Now, that's way too dark for me, and I have to kick it up to the eighth mark.

Is it possible that there's a wider range of screen brightness settings, and THAT'S why the battery seems to last longer? I know that on the fourth mark, my iPAQ said that the battery would be lasting for 5.9 hours (w/ 72 hour standby). Kicking the backlight up to level 8 reduces this time significantly.

kasturilingam
06-09-2003, 10:39 PM
do i have to install all the apps after this ROM upgrade
8O

Dave Beauvais
06-09-2003, 10:48 PM
do i have to install all the apps after this ROM upgrade 8O
Put simply, yes. There may be a way to restore a backup, but almost everyone who does so experiences some "issues." It's best to just take this as an opportunity to start with a clean, fast system.

--Dave

CoreyJF
06-09-2003, 11:59 PM
Has anyone heard when they might be releasing the wifi firmware update?

phopwood
06-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Remove battery from ipaq hold down the soft reset button for 5 seconds and place back your battery. Make sure all your connection settings are to the internet (except the network card--bottom setting). Delete all your wlan presets start with blank profile and try again.Bizarre, but following these steps has WLAN working again. Thanks Van :D

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me too - :D Van you are a genius

bspeed
06-12-2003, 08:40 PM
CoreyJF,
I jsut called HP and they really do not have any idea when the firmware update will be released for the 5455 IPAQ's.
I have a 802.11 G network at home, and I am still waiting to use my Ipaq with it!

I guess we will have to wait it out!

Bob